Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:51 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times

Advertisements

In a market like this, you obviously can't be too picky about where you'll work. But it's especially hard to apply to a place that has a reputation for high turnover. I think every city has at least one major employer that's like that. No one wants to work there and the company burns through people pretty quickly. Have any of you had to work at a place like that? What was the average turnover time and how long did you stay? Was the decision to leave yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM

163 posts, read 712,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
In a market like this, you obviously can't be too picky about where you'll work. But it's especially hard to apply to a place that has a reputation for high turnover. I think every city has at least one major employer that's like that. No one wants to work there and the company burns through people pretty quickly. Have any of you had to work at a place like that? What was the average turnover time and how long did you stay? Was the decision to leave yours?
Just came from a place like that. Hired and fired 130 people in less than 2 years. High tech. Ridiculous turnover. Mostly immigrants. But anything could **** the 'boss' off and bammmmmm. Out the door.

I know- I processed the new-hire and terms. I couldn't keep up. I knew at any moment I would be next. It was only a matter of 'when' not 'if'. I just got a call last night in fact that 6 were let go this past Friday. No reason. Just fired. Sometimes, if he got mad at something someone else did, he'd fired the guy standing next to him. LOL. It was insane. Glad to be gone but NEED a new job.

Anyway- That was one bizarre company. No food allowed, no lunchroom, no xmas of any kind, no parking in restricted areas (basically everywhere), no birthday cakes, no vending machines (too loud), no closing of any doors, no pictures in offices, no jeans, no tattoos, no perfumes or colognes, no smells of any kind (other than his daily trips to the bathroom to clean out his colon) which of course we all had to bear witness to via sound effects. Ohhhhh, the list goes no. I'm still in therapy over it !!!! LOL.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:24 PM

299 posts, read 903,728 times
I once worked for a franchise restaurant that was opening its doors locally for the first time. They hired about 150 people, and within the first month, about 50 of them either quit or got fired. Still, it was very hard for servers, bartenders and bussers to get more than 2 or 3 shifts a week, which meant that we wouldn't make any money.

After 3 months, the staff had been reduced to about 40 people, but there would still be a lot of turnover. I found a better job after 8 months, and when I went back there to eat a few months later, I only recognized a handful of the people who were still working there.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 PM

I worked at a company that incredibly low turnover. People were very happy there and, despite not being paid a lot, didn't want to find other jobs. But then new management came in. After that, people started quitting left and right or getting fired. What's funny is that the new management came from a company that had a reputation for high turnover. So either these new managers didn't realize their management style was driving people away or they just didn't care. Some people even like having that reputation. They think it makes employees more motivated if they're afraid of losing their jobs.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,966 times
The company I work for now actually has low turnover. Most of the workers have been working together for quite some time. It's one of those companies that doesn't pay their employees a whole lot, but the employees wind up being complacent. The position I'm in, on the other hand, does have a reputation for higher turnover. The person that worked it before me quit because of promises for new duties and advancement being unfulfilled. She also had a poor attendance record, so it was actually not a bad thing that she left.

When I interviewed for the position, there were once again several "goals" or "promises" made, none of which have come to fruition naturally. What I mean by that is my career progression in this company is ONLY a result of me venturing out and pursuing outside opportunities. As a result of these broken promises and complete lack of upward mobility, I probably won't be with the company past Thanksgiving (assuming I can find another job by then). So that will be two employees in the last three years that they've gone through. Does that count as high turnover in your opinion?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
The company I work for now actually has low turnover. Most of the workers have been working together for quite some time. It's one of those companies that doesn't pay their employees a whole lot, but the employees wind up being complacent. The position I'm in, on the other hand, does have a reputation for higher turnover. The person that worked it before me quit because of promises for new duties and advancement being unfulfilled. She also had a poor attendance record, so it was actually not a bad thing that she left.

When I interviewed for the position, there were once again several "goals" or "promises" made, none of which have come to fruition naturally. What I mean by that is my career progression in this company is ONLY a result of me venturing out and pursuing outside opportunities. As a result of these broken promises and complete lack of upward mobility, I probably won't be with the company past Thanksgiving (assuming I can find another job by then). So that will be two employees in the last three years that they've gone through. Does that count as high turnover in your opinion?
Do we work at the same company cause this sounds a lot like where I work. Most of my coworkers have been with the company for years. Despite not giving our raises or bonuses, people stay. But they also act like a bunch of lifeless zombies, seeming neither happy nor unhappy with their jobs. My position, on the other hand, has had considerably high turnover. I've had this job for several years, but everyone who had it quit in less than a year. It seems to have a been a combination of problems with management and boredom. It's one of those jobs where you don't have room to grow or learn new skills. That's one reason I hope to find a new job soon. If I stay too long, I'm afraid I'll turn into a zombie like everyone else I work with.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 AM

299 posts, read 903,728 times
I used to work a job that had basically zero turnover, but no room to move up either. I had been there for 3+ years when I got laid off, and everyone who was still there was doing the exact same job they were doing when I got there. A lot of people got laid off over the last 2 years that I worked there, but no one got replaced. After they laid me off, the person with the least amount of experience had been there for at least 5 years. It was a fairly big company that didn't want to see anyone move up the ladder.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,769,430 times
My last job had high turnover, because it was a terrible place to work. I quit in less than a year. The business isn't growing, but they're always hiring!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:26 PM

550 posts, read 1,356,223 times
Data entry positions have high turnover. These jobs are repetitive and boring. Often times, people get complacent in these positions and work there for years. Those that hate it usually leave as soon as possible.

My last job was a cad/data-entry position. I hated it. My coworkers hated it. The company treated us like slaves and we were paid like it. I left for something more challenging and that paid fairly. I am glad that I did.

I was only there for 6 months. Most people left within 2 years. There was pretty much no future for workers there except to become production supervisors.

Last edited by tban; 08-04-2010 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 09:43 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
Data entry positions have high turnover. These jobs are repetitive and boring. Often times, people get complacent in these positions and work there for years. Those that hate it usually leave as soon as possible.

My last job was a cad/data-entry position. I hated it. My coworkers hated it. The company treated us like slaves and we were paid like it. I left for something more challenging and that paid fairly. I am glad that I did.

I was only there for 6 months. Most people left within 2 years. There was pretty much no future for workers there except to become production supervisors.
There's a lot of companies that hire a lot of grads just out of college, often times sales jobs with like a 20k-25k base not a whole lot of opportunity to earn good commisisons.

A very small percentage of people will stick it out and actually rise where they then take advantage of the new grads, most get fed up and leave

There's plenty of companies like this in Chicago. Career builder the job section of Chicago Tribune is a huge one of these. CDW computer discount warehouse has a training meeting with like 50 new employees every month. Progressive auto insurance is another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment