Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:28 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,290 times

Advertisements

I am considering getting my teeth fixed. Today I had them checked, no cavities. They don't look terrible, but they're definitely crowded (especially on the lower jaw). They don't look 'yellow' or anything. My dentist asked me today whether I would be interested in getting braces (I'm in my late 30's) and I told him yes.

It would be a dream to actually have a normal looking mouth of teeth. But, how important is having straight teeth to promotions and respect in the work place? Do workers and bosses really look down on those that don't have 'purty smiles'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:58 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,221 times
Well I don't think it should be about that. Will it help your confidence? Will it make you less self-conscious? Did you see it as a problem before the dentist told it was? What do others think?

In my opinion if no one thinks its a problem, it isn't. If you ask your friends, and they say that you could use an improvement, well then by all means.

Remember, the dentist is a businessman, and he makes money when you think your smile is bad enough to give him thousands of dollars to fix.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Unless you have no teeth or you look like Nanny McPhee, the interviewer probably isn't going to notice, let alone care. But they are likely to notice self-consciousness or discomfort,, regardless of the reason. So if the state of your teeth really bother you, and you can afford it, get them fixed.

Most people tend to notice flaws and individual features when they first meet someone. After we've been around them for a while and are accustomed to how they look as a whole person, we tend not to notice things like crooked teeth and moles and scars and things.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
It depends on how your self-confidence is affected and how bad they are. For example if you show up to an interview with no teeth or they're black and dangling off your gums, it's not going to help you with your interview.

If they're slightly crooked, it might make you look distinct, more noticeable but not in a bad way. They might give your face "character" and give you the edge over the Ken or Barbie doll.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:23 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Really bad-looking teeth are (or can be) a class indicator, as long as you're not British. If your smile isn't "purty perfect," that should be OK in most settings. If it's really mangled looking because of a need for braces, you probably would have learned not to expose your teeth in smiling. (I know I automatically didn't really smile when a kid because of crowded teeth and then big ugly painful braces.)
I agree that straight teeth might well increase self-confidence. I think the "invisible braces" are a great invention.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM

It does seem that having good teeth DOES give someone an edge. If I'm in a job interview, and the interviewer is taken aback that my teeth aren't straight (but that it wouldn't be an issue if he got to know me better over time), then I'm probably not be going to offered a job.

If I am given a strike immediately by people because my teeth aren't presentable, but that over time they can get to know me better and eventually not even notice my teeth, then my teeth are holding me back.

Kinda' answered my own question, but thanks for the responses!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Really bad-looking teeth are (or can be) a class indicator, as long as you're not British. If your smile isn't "purty perfect," that should be OK in most settings. If it's really mangled looking because of a need for braces, you probably would have learned not to expose your teeth in smiling. (I know I automatically didn't really smile when a kid because of crowded teeth and then big ugly painful braces.)
I agree that straight teeth might well increase self-confidence. I think the "invisible braces" are a great invention.
The more I think about it, I don't really smile that much because of my teeth. I'm being 'held back'. People DO look down on those with teeth that are crooked, at least here in the US.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
My teeth are somewhat yellowed (not from nicotine but just naturally) and not perfectly straight by any means. It's never stopped me from getting a job, and most of my jobs have had at least some customer contact.

I wouldn't go spending a fortune on dental work without getting a second opinion from a dentist and also asking some friends who you can trust to be honest what they think.

Maybe post a photo of just your teeth and we'll give you some feedback. It's possible that they aren't as bad as you think.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM

232 posts, read 542,405 times
I'm 41 and got my braces within the last year. I am soooo glad I did it. Helped my overall health (all but eliminated my migraines) and now my teeth great....like me, only better!

I will say that I had no problems in the professional environment WITH braces. Most people didn't notice that I had them on, unless I mentioned it (usually in the context of "thanks, unfortunately I can't eat those for awhile).

As far as cost...if you decide to go ahead...check the fine print of your dental insurance. Many policies say they will cover orthodontic braces at 50% (or whatever) but will only do it if the patient is under 19.

Mine covered 50% of my (adult) treatment, I did the remainder with med flex monies over 2 years.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:26 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Well I don't think it should be about that. Will it help your confidence? Will it make you less self-conscious? Did you see it as a problem before the dentist told it was? What do others think?

In my opinion if no one thinks its a problem, it isn't. If you ask your friends, and they say that you could use an improvement, well then by all means.

Remember, the dentist is a businessman, and he makes money when you think your smile is bad enough to give him thousands of dollars to fix.
Good post...

OP...Consider getting those over the counter whitening strips as very...They're very cheap compared to dentist methods and many find to work 80-90% as good as the dentist stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment