Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,927,801 times

Advertisements

Hello; I'm not looking to bore to death anyone here, just trying to get some advice, so I'll try to make a long story short.

1yr ago I got a promotion and started a new job (let's call it worker level 1) in a completely different division but for the same employer.
At this new place, I tried to learn things as quickly as possible. And after 7 months I was pretty much working at the same pace of much senior staff.
Past my 6 month mark, I started getting involved in more projects and learning new tools needed to do the work. Recently a much higher rank employee (worker level 4) left her spot (I worked under her very closely on many of her projects) and I was told by the big boss that once my 1yr is completed (on 10/31/2012) I would be getting a promotion as I'm already handling some of her projects AND I'm already attending meetings with Directors and upper management. I told the big boss 'I got no problem in taking over some her duties, and I appreciate the opportunity'

Now my boss (who's under big boss, obviously) tells me, I can't get that particular job title -worker level 4 (hence its salary)- because it requires at least 5yrs of experience and an advanced degree. I got less than 2yr on this field and just a bachelor.
So, I said to her that I'm ok with being offered level 3, in that case. She agreed.
Fast forward 1 week, today my boss tells me that most likely, big boss will need to give me level 2 because level 3 requires an advanced degree and although level 2 also requires it, he thinks it might be easier for me to get the job since all the paperwork has to be approved by our main office, in another location.

I feel like jumping only 1 level and still being responsible for duties of a much higher position don't seem like the fair thing to do.
Big boss's excuse is that he has no control over the personnel approval decisions that are made in our main office.
I feel like big boss could work something out with our main office if he wanted to. Big boss doesn't seem to like me very much, but he's offering me the promotion due to the overwhelming positive commentary he's received regarding me by middle management, including my direct boss.

How would handle a situation like this?

Btw, if the promotion is from level 1 to level 2, money wise it's only 10k more. Yet the career path has a better outlook than my current position.
Level 1 to level 3 is like 20k more, and already puts you on the mid-management level, so it's also a good career path.

Today I saw an ad for level 2 that was just posted, and he went to my desk and asked me to forward him my resume.

He's probably gonna officially offer me level 2 tomorrow, but I don't know what to say to him. It just does't feel right to take much higher responsibilities without proportionally higher compensation.

My job is unionized btw, so I could resort to them, but I don't want it to get ugly unnecessarily.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by likeminas; 10-16-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 07:12 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,164,966 times
I certainly accept the promotion, but I would explore other opportunities. Look at all your competitors and your vendors and clients. I would look at their websites for similiar position. I would also set up email alerts for jobs at your competitors and vendors.

You seem to be very new at climbing the corporate ladder. Most companies will only give a small bump in salary from your previous position, due to silly rules about compensation. The two positions could be $40k apart, but you will only get a $5k bump. Companies are constantly poaching employees from their competitors and pay market value. It's the only way to get somebody to leave. It's not unusual to get a $10-20k/yr raise over your last job, when you are in an entry level or 2nd level position. I had 2 cousins go from $40k to $60k to $80k within 5 years. They were laid off twice, because of mergers and cost cuts.

Let's say you go from $40k/yr to $50k/yr, because of the company's lame policy. After 3 years of 2-3% raises, so you are at $55k. A recruiter calls you up and offers you $15k more. You end up making $70k/yr.

What if you had checked out other companies for the going rate of your 1st promotion? Let's say you leave $40k/yr to make $60k/yr. After 3 years of 2-3% raises, you are at $66k yr. A recruiter offers you $15k more, so you are now at $81k/yr.

After 5 years at both career paths, you end up $11k/yr ahead by taking a larger initial promotion.

Each promotion builds on the last promotion. The difference is huge by the 2nd promotion.

Last edited by move4ward; 10-16-2012 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 PM

26,692 posts, read 14,639,363 times
Take it and do it gladly!

Don't worry about the nitty gritty. Money always comes along with responsibility. If you think you are performing at L3 but getting paid at L2, wait you have a year's solid performance and then go ask for more money.

At this stage of your career, you have got nothing to show for. Accumulate experience and learn the management skills. It will help you in a long run.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,927,801 times
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.

I think I got a little bit too ambitious.
When I first got this job, I never expected I was gonna be offered another promotion within 1 yr.
I think If I'm offered level 2, I'll diplomaticly counter, and ask for level 3.
If level 2 is all they can (or will) give me, I think I will take it.
Big boss is out today, so I still have to wait until he comes back.

He'll see what happens.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM

570 posts, read 1,733,808 times
yeah, lvl 1 doesn't normally go to lvl 4 after only 1 year in the position unless you have connection.
Especially you don't have many year's of experience and an advanced degree nor helped the company make millions.

I would take the promotion. You have only like 1-2 years of experience, i don't think it's that easy to find something better else where.

Last edited by spotlesseden; 10-17-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,437,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.

I think I got a little bit too ambitious.
When I first got this job, I never expected I was gonna be offered another promotion within 1 yr.
I think If I'm offered level 2, I'll diplomaticly counter, and ask for level 3.
If level 2 is all they can (or will) give me, I think I will take it.
Big boss is out today, so I still have to wait until he comes back.

He'll see what happens.
I don't have any advice specific to your situation, but always remember that the only person at work who genuinely cares about you and your career is YOU. Most people you work with would cheerfully throw you under the bus to save their own butts.

Look out for yourself first and also bear in mind that no company is loyal to you, so you shouldn't ever feel guilty about changing jobs or accepting a higher offer elsewhere. Period.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:31 PM

13 posts, read 28,960 times
Id start looking for a job that doesn't have "levels" . I know PHDs who can hardly work a web browser. Education shouldn't hamper your paycheck. You should get paid for what you can do and your experience level regardless of what Degree you have. A degree is just a piece of paper after all. Find a company that respects what you can do.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:13 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,561,495 times
Congratulations!

Always take a promotion, unless it's for a job you cannot fathom doing. Promotions are generally not easy to come by. Like you said, try to negotiate for level 3. If it doesn't work out, work hard at level 2 for a year, and then try to get a promotion to level 3.

If they really like you, they can usually come up with a justification for your promotion.

Also, you could run your situation by the union and see what they advise. They don't need to get involved to give you advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment