Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,719,897 times

Advertisements

I don't know how long my aunt and uncle have lived where they do now--but it's UP there! Almost to the Michigan border. Vilas County. Their kids live in Wausau and a town near Madison. Looks like Rhinelander is the largest town nearby...but not all THAT nearby.

I still don't know if I'll be visiting them--I'll have to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 05:05 PM

26,454 posts, read 46,714,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't know how long my aunt and uncle have lived where they do now--but it's UP there! Almost to the Michigan border. Vilas County. Their kids live in Wausau and a town near Madison. Looks like Rhinelander is the largest town nearby...but not all THAT nearby.

I still don't know if I'll be visiting them--I'll have to see.
You have to see that area if you have never been. FANTASTIC scenery and lots of lakes with good fishing. It is the Northwoods so the landscape looks like parts of Canada. The people are generally friendly and chatty as well as reserved. It is the tavern and supper club capitol of the US. Lots of local culture and flavor

Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,719,897 times
I did a quick check--about 100 miles from Rhinelander...the nearest Home Depot store to them [I work for Home Depot, so I cheat using the store finder on their website when I want an idea...most driving directions things want two addresses inputted.]

Old 05-26-2010, 11:36 PM

160 posts, read 455,210 times
I grew up on an 80 acre farm in NW Wisconsin and 2 miles from a ski resort. It was hands down, 100,000 times better than living in a suburb of Minneapolis. Wisconsin is absolutely beautiful and peaceful (at least where I grew up near St. Croix Falls, WI in a town called Dresser).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I'm actually looking forward to moving to WI in the next year or so, but when I tell friends and family, they aren't all that impressed. Everyone acts like I'm going to live out in the sticks and there won't be any civilization around. I'd tell everyone to go up north in MN beyond Grand Marais, but most people don't even know where that is lmao.

I grew up in the city my whole life, but as I get older I realize that I don't enjoy the hustle and bustle of so many people, and I find it peaceful to be able to be away from that. When my husband and I compare notes about growing up, even though I was in a huge city, I find that his childhood experience was richer and more rewarding than mine, mostly because he lived in the country.

For those of you who have lived in WI your whole lives (or most of it), what do you like best? What has been the most rewarding? Would you trade it for "big city life"?

For those of you who recently moved to WI (in the last 5 years to current), what are your thoughts? Do you find it's a good place to raise your children? Do you feel that you are missing out?

I'm trying to get some feedback in a more positive manner. And noone is allowed to say that the winters are really cold!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 AM

947 posts, read 2,427,709 times
My husband and I took our canoe out to Perch Lake in the Blue Hills this weekend and fished with loons and herons skirting the water. So lovely and peaceful.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:33 PM

570 posts, read 1,755,425 times
Quote:
I grew up on an 80 acre farm in NW Wisconsin and 2 miles from a ski resort. It was hands down, 100,000 times better than living in a suburb of Minneapolis. Wisconsin is absolutely beautiful and peaceful (at least where I grew up near St. Croix Falls, WI in a town called Dresser).
Nothing better than living in Rural Wisconsin with a large chunk of your own property!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:30 AM

27,389 posts, read 27,435,383 times
I was very impressed with te southern areas of Wi, having been there twice. Janesville, Evansville, Madison and Oregon. I was astonished at so much beauty and greenery. Farms, open land, lots of it and green, country, it was gorgeous. A slower paced lifestyle. But my original purpose of going there was to visit with an old friend. Long story short and a year later I went again and at that time took on an interest in the possibility of relocating there. if I do so, it would most likely be near Madison or Stoughton, close to work. In fact am contemplating my vacation this year around the Green Bay area as one possibility when I take it.

Last edited by country pride; 06-02-2010 at 09:38 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 09:13 AM

361 posts, read 863,797 times
You have maybe already done this but I would encourage you to take a kittle vacation to the Wausau area then check the local papers or make contact with the local employers you would like to work for so you could see what work is available. The other concern would be if the wages can meet your expectations.

You could make short visits in Wausau, Green Bay & Appleton area in a 3 day trip.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 PM

947 posts, read 2,427,709 times
We finally met our neighbors this weekend and both sets on either side of us are awesome, so friendly and caring. One couple is planning to retire there, and that is really encouraging.
We got a few real surprises: our lot has quite a bit of poison ivy-we really need to spray the heck out of it. And...we are in the middle of a bear path that extends over all our lots along the river in that area. A local showed our neighbor how she wears a holster packing bear repellent when she looks for her dog on our properties when it goes missing. Does it scare me? No, actually it makes the property more special to me. We just have to learn to live more carefully around such rustic nature. This trip we saw a cow that got loose from its' enclosure and was running down the highway. We also saw two bears at night on a road in the Blue Hills.
I just love being there. Can't wait until I won't have to leave.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 13,279 times
You guys are so blessed! Thanks for sharing your experiences with folks like me who long to be in your shoes. I am deeply saddened though to hear of those of you who are losing your family farms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin