Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:41 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm looking at central WI-- where it's growing and isn't as rural. I mean over there it's plenty of farmland and woods, but I would say that Wausau is comparable to a suburb here in MN. My husband's also said that the city has more now than it did back when he lived by there permanently.
Marshfield was 30 miles from where I lived South of Owen and always had 95% of I what needed. Everything else I could find in Eau Claire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 02:20 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
That's to bad. I'm trying to keep our family farm in the family as long as I can. Can't wait to move back soon and live there until I die. There are so many things to do right at home every day when you have land in the country.
From one member of a Wisconsin family farm to another: thank you for trying to keep the family farm. I went back home last week for the funeral of one uncle. We (being the entire family) heard about both his untimely death and the selling of the farm by his older brother in the same week. No one blames my uncle for selling--his brothers have telling him for years that it was okay. But talking with him, I could see it really bothered him (even though he was Wisconsin-stoic), and what we were all losing wasn't a piece of property, but our family history in so many ways.

Unfortunately, my husband's job, while very secure, well paying, and somewhat mobile, cannot be transferred to Blue Hills area. And we just bought a house in Arizona. Boo.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:25 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Hmm my husband would argue the point that rural MN and rural WI are the same He's quite protective over WI, and ever since he moved here he's insisted that there are huge differences between the two states, but that could be from his own experience.

I'm looking at central WI-- where it's growing and isn't as rural. I mean over there it's plenty of farmland and woods, but I would say that Wausau is comparable to a suburb here in MN. My husband's also said that the city has more now than it did back when he lived by there permanently.

I have heard good things about Wausau. I have only been there a few times shopping or stopping through while driving. However, if you are looking in the surrounding areas, I wouldn't suggest Medford (on the limited knowledge that I have). There have been a few posts on different threads here from people who love it. That has not been the experience of my sister who moved there about three years ago. Whether she has the knack of finding the most unsavory of people or whether it is more widespread, I don't know. So I guess it isn't that I wouldn't suggest it, but rather that I would look a little harder into it if you are swaying that way. My sister does love the natural beauty of the area and the plenty of outdoor pursuits there, though.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
what we were all losing wasn't a piece of property, but our family history in so many ways.
That's the main driver for me too. Very sentimental because of the family history and my own great memories from growing up there. I enjoyed the outdoor life there every day during all seasons. I wouldn't give it up for any amount of money.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:59 PM

328 posts, read 654,933 times
the lack of people. the old crummy roads, rustic bridges ( that are safer than they look, hopefully) small town charm, lack of traffic. o and farms.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,412 times
As strange as this is gonna sound, I am looking forward to little or no traffic and people who actually follow the speed limit. It bugs me to no end when you purposefully drive in the "slow" lane all over to the right, but there's that idiot behind you who believes that you can still drive 90...

Old 05-05-2010, 08:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,270 times
I am so excited about my upcoming move to Wausau and getting away from the big city. I have decided that I am a small town girl who loves to garden and do outdoor activities. I'm also looking forward to escaping this heat of the south and the never ending summers. Now I'll have never ending winters.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:38 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,412 times
ROFL...Wisconsin's winters aren't that bad. That's like saying MN winters are bad, and to be honest sometimes I think we don't get enough snow!

My only main concern is about job prospects. I think I'd like everything else.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,759 times
My husband and I were both born and raised in Chicago. When we were in our early 30s we moved to WI. We have been here for 23 years. We love it. We live out in the country and I love planting a huge garden, all the wildlife. The weather doesn't bother me at all.
i don't miss the traffic and the noise of a big city. My grandparents moved from Chicago to Mosinee over 90 years ago. We still own their farm. We built right on the edge of the property.
Both of my kids stayed here after they were done with college.
I like that we are 2 hours from Madison and about 3.5 from Milwaukee. But we are also close for day trips to Door County. It is a great place to live.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
My husband and I were both born and raised in Chicago. When we were in our early 30s we moved to WI. We have been here for 23 years. We love it. We live out in the country and I love planting a huge garden, all the wildlife. The weather doesn't bother me at all.
i don't miss the traffic and the noise of a big city. My grandparents moved from Chicago to Mosinee over 90 years ago. We still own their farm. We built right on the edge of the property.
Both of my kids stayed here after they were done with college.
Nice to see some people enjoying the good life! It doesn't get any better! I can't wait to move back to WI and do the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin