Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:16 PM

4 posts, read 12,207 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I was notified a few days ago that I am being relocated to Hudson Wisconsin. My husband and I will be moving from Ohio- snow belt area- we can drive in snow, slush, black ice (okay you drive slow on ice and leave very early for work on those days).
Anyone familiar with the area knows that Ohio can be bitter cold one day and in the mid 40's the next. We always say if you hate the weather wait until tomorrow!
I have been researching the internet and found this site. I have read that people are tired of the Yuppies taking over Hudson.I am a tad to old to be a Yuppie, but can keep up with those young uns!
Actually I have been concerned that my hot flashes have added to Global Warming. I am waiting for Al Gore to knock on my door! Okay, I am over 50. But there has to be people in there 50's in Hudson. I read in one demographic that the average age was 30ish. Can that be true?
Maybe you need more over 50 people to change that number!
In a few weeks we will be visiting the area. We would like to rent first before we commit to an area to live. Rentals on-line scare the heck out of me. $800.00-$1000.00 a month for a two bedroom?
My husband will have to find a job also. He has worked in steel mills and forging companies. I think the wrong side of the state for him.. We are hoping that he can find a general labor job. His ex gets most of his paycheck. He does have 4 great boys so I won't trash the ex.
Any advice you can give me I would love to hear!
Thanks in advance and can I wish everyone a warm and sunny day?
If you lived in Ohio it could happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 05:32 PM

1,085 posts, read 3,566,787 times
I was trying to find Hudson on the map, it's not a very big town. But it seems like you are right on the Minnesota state line, right across from St Paul. Your hubby should have no problem finding work there.

Thanks for the warm and sunny day wish. You got part of it, the sunny for a little while but didn't quite make the warm part. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr, it pretty close to zero right now.

Good luck!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:32 PM

Thanks Hntr! I'm thinking you have a warm heart! LOL

Old 01-09-2009, 07:20 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocationadvice View Post
Hi all!
I was notified a few days ago that I am being relocated to Hudson Wisconsin. My husband and I will be moving from Ohio- snow belt area- we can drive in snow, slush, black ice (okay you drive slow on ice and leave very early for work on those days).
Anyone familiar with the area knows that Ohio can be bitter cold one day and in the mid 40's the next. We always say if you hate the weather wait until tomorrow!
I have been researching the internet and found this site. I have read that people are tired of the Yuppies taking over Hudson.I am a tad to old to be a Yuppie, but can keep up with those young uns!
Actually I have been concerned that my hot flashes have added to Global Warming. I am waiting for Al Gore to knock on my door! Okay, I am over 50. But there has to be people in there 50's in Hudson. I read in one demographic that the average age was 30ish. Can that be true?
Maybe you need more over 50 people to change that number!
In a few weeks we will be visiting the area. We would like to rent first before we commit to an area to live. Rentals on-line scare the heck out of me. $800.00-$1000.00 a month for a two bedroom?
My husband will have to find a job also. He has worked in steel mills and forging companies. I think the wrong side of the state for him.. We are hoping that he can find a general labor job. His ex gets most of his paycheck. He does have 4 great boys so I won't trash the ex.
Any advice you can give me I would love to hear!
Thanks in advance and can I wish everyone a warm and sunny day?
If you lived in Ohio it could happen!
Okay...I admit I have no business posting in this thread, since I have never even heard of Hudson, Wisconsin (I'm a recent transplant to WI myself)...but I just HAD to reply to tell you what a great laugh you gave me

I love your sense of humor! Welcome to Wisconsin (if you come).

Old 01-09-2009, 08:38 PM

Thank you! I love that I made you laugh!
You gotta love life and all the twists and turns.
The turns are tough. I am looking at all my choices.
If I do not move, our house will be foreclosed.
Is it sad that when you our in your 50's your life
is dictacted by your job. My 401k is half of it was a year
ago.
I just have to believe that there is a happy story for us!
If anyone that is young listen right now. Put money into
your 401k. Gosh, get help to make choices. Buy low.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:54 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,606,205 times
Quote:
If anyone that is young listen right now. Put money into
your 401k. Gosh, get help to make choices. Buy low.
I will remember that being 20 I'm nervous about what the future holds.
Good luck in your move.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,856,083 times
You will find the tax structure of WI to be higher than OH. Unfortunatly MN is no better. Perhaps you can bring those 4 boys and take advantage of WI schools. They are pretty good. Since you will be paying for them anyway, you could take advantage of them.

If youare willing to move a little out of Hudson, rents should go down. I have relatives in that area for years. 20 miles out and you really can get in the sticks.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:29 AM

537 posts, read 1,939,365 times
Welcome to WI. I am in my 50s too and we love living here. I haven't been to Hudson in a few years but I do remember it is a nice town. We love Stillwater MN to visit and that is close to there. I think hubby could find a job in the Twin Cities area.
It is sunny here today and going to get close to 20 but next week they are saying a high of -5. The good thing is the days are all ready getting longer!
Good luck!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks Hntr! I'm thinking you have a warm heart! LOL

LOL, thanks.

And as FormerCaliforniaGirl said I really got a kick out of your post and a couple of hearty laughs from it. I hope you make Wisconsin your new home and welcome to City-Data forum.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
My 401k is half of it was a year
ago.
Sad to say but many of the retirement funds are in the same shape. My wife's retirement took a beating in the last year too. Her's is down 45%, if this trend keeps going by the time she gets ready to draw on it there won't be anything left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin