Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,171,770 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, it was real hard to get guns in Madison. I went to visit a guy I knew who ran a shopping center (hardware/housewares/fishing-hunting), and while I was talking to him in his office, I looked down and saw a guy walk in, fill out a form, and buy a gun. A minute later, BOOM in the alley. We went outside, and he was laying in the alley with his head blown apart. Apparently this was a regular thing there, it just didn't get any press. And this is just one seller in town. I checked the next day, and saw nothing on it. This was 15-20 years ago. Silly 1960s style laws...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,572,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post
the tired, old madison type governance is fading away just like jane fonda.....

the move towards adult governance in this state was one of the things that made us choose wisconsin over other states. the state was at a fork in the road and took a right turn. illinois was at that same fork in the road and took the other path...or just stayed on their original path...and look at how well that's turned out for them....

...and no, illinois wasn't on our list of potential states to move to.

wisconsin has a lot in place to be both a very nice place to live (in most areas) AND economically prosperous. and now we can also concealed carry or open carry.

iirc, madison was the last place that had their silly 1960s style law where they banned the sale of pistols there (soglin)....yet for some reason the imported people from chicago kept shooting there.....
gander mountain used to be by east town, but moved outside of the city of madison into a HUGE store so they could sell pistols....and a WHOLE lot more. they voted with their corporate feet and took their jobs and tax revenues with them. too bad they're still in dane county.

yeah, wisconsin is nice now and hopefully will continue improving, getting better and better.....
This is just one long rambling run on sentence. Illinois now has conceal carry, you didn't know that? Interesting. Madison is a great town, you should visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Oh yeah, it was real hard to get guns in Madison. I went to visit a guy I knew who ran a shopping center (hardware/housewares/fishing-hunting), and while I was talking to him in his office, I looked down and saw a guy walk in, fill out a form, and buy a gun. A minute later, BOOM in the alley. We went outside, and he was laying in the alley with his head blown apart. Apparently this was a regular thing there, it just didn't get any press. And this is just one seller in town. I checked the next day, and saw nothing on it. This was 15-20 years ago. Silly 1960s style laws...
That's crazy.

Anyway, back to the topic. I've never lived anywhere else but yeah, I like Wisconsin. This past winter sucked for sure & it was the first time I toyed with the thought of moving somewhere else. But, I like the change of seasons. Fall is my favorite, I could never live anywhere that had just one season, hot. Up north is a second home to me, I would miss the northwoods too much if I moved out of state. I like my neighborhood & Brady St area. I don't like how a certain group of people is so resistant to change here. It's very backwards, they don't have forward thinking. But hopefully that changes over time. I like living on a great lake, I'd hate to be landlocked. All in all, it's not a bad place to live.

Last edited by thefragile; 06-04-2014 at 09:19 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 09:48 AM

432 posts, read 545,092 times
Quote:
Madison. I went to visit a guy I knew who ran a shopping center (hardware/housewares/fishing-hunting), and while I was talking to him in his office, I looked down and saw a guy walk in, fill out a form, and buy a gun. A minute later, BOOM in the alley. We went outside, and he was laying in the alley with his head blown apart. Apparently this was a regular thing there, it just didn't get any press. And this is just one seller in town. I checked the next day, and saw nothing on it. This was 15-20 years ago.
lol!!!
man, there are just so many holes in your tale. i count you are 0 for 5.
however, this tale would probably work around people that already have a hatred and fear of firearms, very ignorant about firearms/don't know anything about them, and are equally clueless about their laws .......or madison even.

i'd guess "your friend" had something like a true value or ace hardware store in madison?
that sold guns?
i'm not familiar with any, so if it's legit, what was the name of "your friend's" store?
most of those are in strip malls, so there aren't any alleys either.
what's the name of "your friend's" store and where in madison was this located?

and can you be a little more specific about the time frame because what you said also makes very little sense other than there was a person and there was a store.

thanks for the morning laugh and good to know that progressive leftists still uphold their long tradition of making things up (aka 'lying').

Last edited by milt14; 06-04-2014 at 10:34 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
This is just one long rambling run on sentence. Illinois now has conceal carry, you didn't know that? Interesting.
ummmmm, ok, i'lll try to break out the mla so people like you will be able to better follow posts.

ummmmmm, yeah, i knew il finally got cc. don't recall stating that they didn't.

i think you truly must have been lost reading because you missed where i typed "old madison type governance" and "adult governance" before you came across my "fork in the road" comment. (it's an analogy there really wasn't a fork, nor a road).
i'll try to keep people like you in mind when i type in the future....nah.

Quote:
Madison is a great town, you should visit
i was born and raised there, went to school there all the way through the uw; i still have some family and friends there and we are having a reunion down there this month.

so you think i should visit madison to find out what it's like?

don't tell me, you're from madison? never would have guessed..............

Old 06-04-2014, 11:21 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,171,770 times
Quote:
lol!!!
man, there are just so many holes in your tale. i count you are 0 for 5.
however, this tale would probably work around people that already have a hatred and fear of firearms, very ignorant about firearms/don't know anything about them, and are equally clueless about their laws .......or madison even.

i'd guess "your friend" had something like a true value or ace hardware store in madison?
that sold guns?
i'm not familiar with any, so if it's legit, what was the name of "your friend's" store?
most of those are in strip malls, so there aren't any alleys either.
what's the name of "your friend's" store and where in madison was this located?

and can you be a little more specific about the time frame because what you said also makes very little sense other than there was a person and there was a store.

thanks for the morning laugh and good to know that progressive leftists still uphold their long tradition of making things up (aka 'lying').
I'm not identifying the store for quite obvious reasons, give me a break. If I thought I could trust you (I know I can't), I'd message you the store & location in a second.

I grew up in the woods hunting, I own a gun and I have zero "hatred of firearms." This is a first-hand story disproving your "theory" about Madison's supposedly Draconian gun laws, which is a complete and utter fabrication.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:59 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,572,432 times
Quote:
ummmmm, ok, i'lll try to break out the mla so people like you will be able to better follow posts.

ummmmmm, yeah, i knew il finally got cc. don't recall stating that they didn't.

i think you truly must have been lost reading because you missed where i typed "old madison type governance" and "adult governance" before you came across my "fork in the road" comment. (it's an analogy there really wasn't a fork, nor a road).
i'll try to keep people like you in mind when i type in the future....nah.

i was born and raised there, went to school there all the way through the uw; i still have some family and friends there and we are having a reunion down there this month.

so you think i should visit madison to find out what it's like?

don't tell me, you're from madison? never would have guessed..............
No, not from Madison. But I do like the town, need to get there again soon. You should too. And the rest of your post? Nonsensical. Again.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I'm not identifying the store...which is a complete and utter fabrication.
thank you for finally coming clean.

there never was no "shopping center (hardware/housewares/fishing-hunting)" that had an ffl in madison or i would have known about it.
farm and fleet is the closest thing i can think of and i don't think they sold firearms, but they did sell ammo. and even if that were the store, the way you described the transaction is not possible at that store and that's the only store like that in madison.

K mart on east wash sold firearms, but that shut down in the 70s iirc.

what kind of gun was it? you can be general about it.

and 'man shot self in head outside of store" certainly would have made the front pages and all three tv stations there. it would have been the lead. giving your rough era, i knew the madison pd's PIO and yes, i can tell you, it would have been the lead story down there. even with all the chicago/mexican/salvadoran imports and newest generation of socialized kids shooting each other for kicks, something like that happening this very day would be on the news this evening and the paper in the morning (assuming they still print it...and anyone even reads it anymore).

it's ok to admit you made up all of this. no one here knows you personally, so you'd not lose any face in the real world. if anyone asks on the internet, i'll say i don't know you.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No, not from Madison. But I do like the town
then if you have any questions about madison, ask me. i'll be down there with my relatives (madison, madison area, milwaukee and burbs, delevan, beloit, and a bunch of smaller towns around there) and between all of us, we should be able to answer most questions you would have. we're a pretty diverse group and i think the only non represented specie is asians. but i did live in asia for a year, so you an axe us redneck hicks anythings yous wants, entiende? lol.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:42 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,031,372 times
i'll avoid taking any sides in the above sidebar going on lol; but can say I'm sure long guns could be bought in Madison (Gander's old location by east towne, pretty positive F&F sold them at least back in the day, Kmart as mentioned, etc) so that option could have existed. Of course, if it was a pawn shop (like the old one on East Wash, there may have been others), if they were allowed to sell handguns that's a different story.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:56 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,627,450 times
I never lived in Wisconsin, but HUGE Packers fan... I love Wisconsin. People are nice and I like it better than Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin