Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 12:18 AM

4 posts, read 37,217 times

Advertisements

Hi...My family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children - Ages 8 and 1) are relocating to the WI area. My husbands job will require him to travel to different work sites some located in the Madison area and some on the Western side of Milwaukee (Delafield and Brookfield area).

We are looking for a good place to live that is between the two cities. I sort of stumbled upon Lake Mills today due to a missed exit and some road detours and was wondering what people thought of this community. I was also told that the Oconomowoc area is a nice place to live as well. What advice can you give us on both??

I would like a good school system, family oriented, conveniently located near some clean lakes (which is why my eye has been drawn to these two areas) growing community, historic community, and it would be ideal if that place also offers something in the way of local activities (so that we aren't forced to drive to Mad-town or Milkwaukee just to "do" something. My husband would really appreciate some golf options and my kids would love something with a good park, community pool, and lots of other kids to play with. Me? I could go for somewhere where I can just meet other moms and develop a social network to keep me sane!

Also....can anyone tell me how are the school systems in these or other suggested areas?

We are relocating from Davenport, Iowa. (job transfer). We are looking for homes anywhere from $220's - the $350's. (I know big price range...but it's our starting point till we figure out what is out there)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Again, please let me know if there are other communities that we should consider as well.

Thank you so much!
Rossana
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 06:49 AM

396 posts, read 1,698,395 times
Oconomowoc might fit alot of your requirements. There is a great Y there with lots of kids activities. There is also a newcomers group for moms. Oconomowoc Newcomers & Neighbors Club There are lots of lakes and the community is growing. I don't know much about the schools, but know a couple people who seem happy with them.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 AM

Thank you sunflower! There was definatley a lot of information on the site you directed me to about Oconomowoc. It looks great!

Does anyone out there know anything about the city of Lake Mills? The downtown looked...sort of lacking. Is there a revitalization effort underway? Would you live there?

Thanks for your time!
Rossana

Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 AM

52 posts, read 216,101 times
I know that you are looking for first hand experience, but have you seen this? Lake Mills, Wisconsin (WI) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
I grew up on the boarder of the Oconomowoc and Hartford school district. I went to Hartford. We did spend some time in Oconmowoc though. There is a resort in Oconomowoc that has a ski hill that we would go tubing on in the winter, and the lakes a good fun all year long.
That being said, I think Lake Mills might be a better location if your husband will be spending more time in Madison than Milwaukee. I have never really spent much time in Lake Mills, but I have never heard anything bad about Lake Mills.
Good luck!!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn.Sunshine View Post
I know that you are looking for first hand experience, but have you seen this? [URL="https://www.city-data.com/city/Lake-Mills-Wisconsin.html"]Lake Mills, Wisconsin (WI) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders[/URL]
I grew up on the boarder of the Oconomowoc and Hartford school district. I went to Hartford. We did spend some time in Oconmowoc though. There is a resort in Oconomowoc that has a ski hill that we would go tubing on in the winter, and the lakes a good fun all year long.
That being said, I think Lake Mills might be a better location if your husband will be spending more time in Madison than Milwaukee. I have never really spent much time in Lake Mills, but I have never heard anything bad about Lake Mills.
Good luck!!

TennSunshine....or anyone really who can help me....I looked at the link that you suggested (Thank you!) and I guess I don't really understand the graph that shows the Home Sales in Lake Mills. What happend in 2007? Most other cities I have researched the Home Sales graph looks totally different. Can somebody help me interpret that graph. I am having a "duh" moment and I guess I just don't get it.

The 9 sex offenders is alarming...especially when Oconomowoc doesn't have any registered sex offenders noted on the city data page that I could find. Hum....whats the deal? Lake Mills is sex offender friendly? Does anyone know the laws dealing with this crime for WI? In Iowa they can't live within so many miles of a school...and it looks to me that the town is small and there are at least three schools in the city itself. ?? No such law in WI? Any insight would be appreciated.

And hey...then what is a realistic drive time from Oconomowoc to Madison? Map quest indicates like 1 hour if I recall...for real? While we are at it...is 94 a good interstate? Is it safe in the winter?

Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 PM

Just bumping this up to the top to get some responses.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,267 times
I don't know much about Lake Mills, but I've lived in Oconomowoc for the last year. The downtown is currently under construction to re-do all the sidewalks, streets, parks, etc. to make it more pedestrian friendly and updated. There is also a major new regional mall that is scheduled to open in 2010 as well as a major hospital facility that will also open in 2010. Oconomowoc is growing quickly and is turning into one of the more upscale Milwaukee suburbs.

Depending on how you drive, it will take between 45 - 50 minutes to get to the east side of Madison, and about an hour to get downtown.

The schools in Oconomowoc are very good. The city passed a referendum last year to build two new middle schools, and to add a new gym and auditorium to the high school.

As far as kids - our subdivision has an abundancd of kids mainly ranging from newborn to 8 or 9 years old.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:07 PM

52 posts, read 216,101 times
The commute from Oconomowoc to Madison in winter isn't to bad as long as it isn't actively snowing. It is a straight shot on I-94 from Oconomowoc to Madison. I would say an hour is pretty accurate on so-so winter roads, a bit faster on good/normal roads. Wisconsin is really good about keeping the freeways clean.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:26 PM
MSW

5 posts, read 28,017 times
Default Lake Mills

Hi, We moved to Lake Mills from Chicago about two years ago and love it. The downtown is growing with the latest addition of a gourmet wine store and the well known Ephraim Pottery Co, which has a retail store besides the actual pottery. The spike in real estate sales that you noticed on the graph was from a hugh farm that was sold for a large amount of money. I too was concerned about the nine sex offenders listed and before we moved went to the Police Dept. and talked to them about it. I felt very reasured after speaking with them. Lake Mills is a wonderful town with very nice people and a incredible lake. Anyone moving here would be happy.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:54 AM
MSW

5 posts, read 28,017 times
Default Lake Mills

Please read my message from yesterday about Lake Mills. nelsonmon2
per City Data, Oconomowoc has 21 registered sex offenders. Please get your informatin correct before you say derogatory remarks about another town. Just about every town in this country has registered sex offenders. Take a look for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin