Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 02:55 PM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
There were significant wins on both sides of the aisle, and the wins largely reflect the ongoing, deep geographical divide in this country.

No surprise that places like North Dakota and other low-population, conservative states fell to the GOP camp and increased GOP standing in the Senate.

OTOH, the Dem control of the House and of more state governorships is significant. Also significant is the narrow margin by which some Republicans won in traditionally conservative places. Ted Cruz vs Beto? Cruz should have won that handily, but he really fought for it. The Florida governorship? That was really close.

On the flip side, the same can be said of some Dem victories. Evers won the Wisconsin governorship, but just barely. Similar situation in a couple of other states.

Ultimately, the election showed that Trump's support remains strong in his base locations, general GOP support is strong in places where you would expect it to be, and support for Dems (either pro-Dem or anti-Trump) continues to solidify where you would expect it to.

Good observations. That's the beauty of The Constitution- it allows a voice for the majority but protects the voice of the minority- checks & balances. And look back over the past several decades- we get ourselves into trouble whenever one party rules the executive branch and both houses.

The concept goes back to the Roman Republic at least 2500 y/a. That's why they had voting by tribes (equivalent to our electoral college) so one or two populous clans couldn't dominate an election, and they had two consuls each yr to keep each other in check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 03:56 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Thank god, Walker is gone. Sorry to say little will get done until redistricting changes the balance of power in the legislature. What I've read of the GOP leaders, they are myopic and stubborn and backward. WI can expect gridlock for two years, sadly.

But, it's a good first step.

At heart, Walker has no use for minorities and the poor and unions - all stemming from his stint as Milw County Exec. Thus, the refusal of $2billion from federal govt to help with healthcare costs. I am SO SICK AND TIRED of these backward Republicans...and we still have them in spades in rural areas of the state. I'm ashamed to say I have relatives with this mindset - and it is so depressing to talk with them. People I grew up with and saw every day I now really don't like at all. They attend Trump rallies and say proudly after listening to his nonsensical garbage , "Oh, I got so pumped up."

Neanderthals - all of them. That's the GOP in WI.

The redistricting can't come soon enough.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:20 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Thank god, Walker is gone. Sorry to say little will get done until redistricting changes the balance of power in the legislature. What I've read of the GOP leaders, they are myopic and stubborn and backward. WI can expect gridlock for two years, sadly.

At heart, Walker has no use for minorities and the poor and unions - all stemming from his stint as Milw County Exec. Thus, the refusal of $2billion from federal govt to help with healthcare costs. I am SO SICK AND TIRED of these backward Republicans...and we still have them in spades in rural areas of the state. I'm ashamed to say I have relatives with this mindset - and it is so depressing to talk with them. People I grew up with and saw every day I now really don't like at all. They attend Trump rallies and say proudly after listening to his nonsensical garbage , "Oh, I got so pumped up."

This right here will do nothing to convince people to join your side. My point is, calling people morons, idiots or saying that you hate the other side is really ugly. I warn even my conservative friends, swearing and cussing and calling people who disagree with you every name in the book is childish and does no good. I covered the Kerry-Bush Rallies and the things I saw and still have on tape is really astounding.

Back to the policy portion of your comment, do you know why he did what he did or his thinking behind it? take a stab at it and try to figure out why someone would turn down "free government cheese"

I have heard many politicians behind closed doors refer to voters as morons and idiots for voting and not understanding the issues. Let's not show it with our behavior. I can't even find a liberal or democrat to debate the issues without them to start screaming at me.

BTW, where do I get those #resist bumper stickers or #notmygovernor bumper stickers? Also where do I get one of those "Blue Fists" but in red?

Last edited by Milwaukee City; 11-07-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-07-2018, 05:06 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,316,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

I have heard many politicians behind closed doors refer to voters as morons and idiots for voting and not understanding the issues. Let's not show it with our behavior.
Definitely agree!

Quote:
I can't even find a liberal or democrat to debate the issues without them to start screaming at me.
Lot's of pleasant, conversational Dems out there!

Quote:
BTW, where do I get those #resist bumper stickers or #notmygovernor bumper stickers? Also where do I get one of those "Blue Fists" but in red?
When Tony Evers makes a hostile, drastic, overarching, and showy "Act 10"-style maneuver against business execs or conservative Christians, or when he starts going from door to door to demand everyone's guns, you'll be able to find them.

In the meantime, you can buy a "No-bama" bumper sticker, or a "My President is the President of the NRA" bumper sticker, or a decal of Calvin urinating on a number of liberal icons, or a "Don't Tread on Me" decal, or a confederate flag sticker .... Just look on Amazon!

Old 11-07-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
They attend Trump rallies and say proudly after listening to his nonsensical garbage , "Oh, I got so pumped up."
This defines the Trumper - which you ignore - and the Scott Walker rural voter, especially my embarrassing relative who "got so pumped up."

Anyone who listens to the never ending lies and nonsensical word salad spewing from Trump's mouth and gets 'pumped up' is succumbing to their basest instincts, imo. Trump is effectively insulting their intelligence with his lies - and they say "give me more." Alrighty then, he'll tell them they're stupid again by uttering yet another lie and more nonsense, and they'll love it.

Relative to federal help w/health care, other GOP govs have seen the light. Why not take pressure off the state budgets - and use that money in other areas? How is WI hurt?

This is an email I got from a local candidate for State Assembly. You are more informed than I, presumably. Where are the holes in this?

We just passed a school referendum in Wauwatosa which will raise my property taxes 12% a year for the next 20 years (adds $1.88 per $1K assessed value). I am 76 y/o. I am not happy about this - especially since SS increases are barely 2-3%. Maintaining this place (sans taxes) - repairs, etc. - costs about $6k/year. While I'm not starving, adding $500 a year to my expenses over which I have no control is disturbing. I did vote no on this referendum, btw. Wauwatosa has done a great job of not increasing its tax base by approving lots of new construction - but three new schools in a community of 7,200 students? I guess as a senior, with no kids or grandkids in the schools, I shouldn't be owning a home anymore. Some states actually remove the school tax for seniors or freeze their taxes.

So much for Walker reducing property taxes. Another lie. We're still paying - whether it's to the state or to our local govts. It's a sleight of hand shell game. Indeed, Walker has shown plenty of voter contempt.

Oh, indeed, the Dems can exert overreach detrimental to themselves and probably will - and sadly Trump will be reelected again in 2020 - because, of course, the caravan is coming to get us and the adoring crowd gets so "pumped up" at his rallies.

One thing the politicians got right -
Quote:
I have heard many politicians behind closed doors refer to voters as morons and idiots for voting and not understanding the issues.
And this contempt shows in their behavior.

Issues are so complicated, information not readily available, people don't know what they don't know, partisan media and politicians (both sides) spewing misleading misinformation or only half the story, people too busy, insufficiently educated - whatever - the voter is at a serious disadvantage - and the politicians hold the cards.

Who has the time or capacity to delve into the minutia of the issues? Where do they go for accurate and truthful information AND interpretation (NOT SPIN) of what this data actually means in real life application - if they are even able to find it? Unintended consequences, if you will?

Maybe the state needs to pass a "qualified voter" test before every election - and provide information on truthful sources on the relevant issues. Those who can't pass the test don't vote.

Speaking of unintended consequences, one unintended consequencs of the so-called tax GOP "reform" on the federal level - was Kimberly-Clark finally being given the "ability" (that means MONEY) to close two plants in WI, eliminating 600 jobs. K-C plans to close 10 plants and eliminate 5,000 jobs worldwide.

Quote:
The chief financial officer of Kimberly-Clark said in a recent conference call that the company planned to use proceeds from the tax cut to help to pay for planned restructuring costs tied to the plant closings.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money...ah/1082701001/

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-07-2018 at 05:54 PM..

Old 11-07-2018, 05:20 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
This right here will do nothing to convince people to join your side. My point is, calling people morons, idiots or saying that you hate the other side is really ugly. I warn even my conservative friends, swearing and cussing and calling people who disagree with you every name in the book is childish and does no good.

Apparently it does. This was Trump's playbook. Verbally abuse, threaten and promote violence against those he doesn't agree with. And, the Republicans elected him. So, it does work.

Dems have taken the high road far too long. I wish everyone did, but if being dirty like the Republicans are wins, the Dems better take off the gloves. I hate it. I wish for civil discourse. But, people aren't voting for civil discourse.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:21 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
In the meantime, you can buy a "No-bama" bumper sticker, or a "My President is the President of the NRA" bumper sticker, or a decal of Calvin urinating on a number of liberal icons, or a "Don't Tread on Me" decal, or a confederate flag sticker .... Just look on Amazon!

LOL, I actually never have seen a "My president is the president of the NRA" and I live in republicanville. I have seen the no-bama, and the Calvin and Hobbs bumper stickers are obnoxious no matter what they are urinating on, it's as classless as the balls hanging from the rear of a pickup truck. Don't tread on me, I never knew that was a republican only sticker, I associate that with more of the "land standoff crowd" or libertarians and you rarely see a confederate flag sticker, also that just doesn't make sense...we're Damn Yankees

I didn't mean to single out the last poster but I have no time for "Hyper-Bowl"(guess the reference...)whether it's a pickup man with a no-bama sticker or a riverwest liberal I just have no time for people who literally talk with just buzz words or candidate talking points. It's like sitting in between two TV's with political ads blasting at your ears at the same time.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:29 PM

512 posts, read 474,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Well said!

Quote:
This right here will do nothing to convince people to join your side. My point is, calling people morons, idiots or saying that you hate the other side is really ugly. I warn even my conservative friends, swearing and cussing and calling people who disagree with you every name in the book is childish and does no good. I covered the Kerry-Bush Rallies and the things I saw and still have on tape is really astounding.

Back to the policy portion of your comment, do you know why he did what he did or his thinking behind it? take a stab at it and try to figure out why someone would turn down "free government cheese"

I have heard many politicians behind closed doors refer to voters as morons and idiots for voting and not understanding the issues. Let's not show it with our behavior. I can't even find a liberal or democrat to debate the issues without them to start screaming at me.

This article is WHY people think the GOP is corrupt. We are sick and tired of Republicans rigging the system: https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ck/1918875002/

Old 11-07-2018, 05:51 PM

764 posts, read 392,635 times
Wisconsinites don't like success. Expect to pay more for your milk and cheese. Evers said he'll allow illegals in-state tuition, driver licenses and raise gas tax $1 a gallon. All the good Walker did will disappear, jobs, taxes go up PEOPLE LOSING THEIR SELF ESTEEM HAVING TO GO BACK ON WELFARE. Wisconsinites cannot shake their democratic communist fleas.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
Wisconsinites don't like success. Expect to pay more for your milk and cheese. Evers said he'll allow illegals in-state tuition, driver licenses and raise gas tax $1 a gallon. All the good Walker did will disappear, jobs, taxes go up PEOPLE LOSING THEIR SELF ESTEEM HAVING TO GO BACK ON WELFARE. Wisconsinites cannot shake their democratic communist fleas.
Well, never fear, it appears the Black Shirts are already out in force:

Quote:
GOP Assembly Speaker Robin Vos threatens to take power away from Tony Evers before January

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos (R-Rochester) said Wednesday he would discuss whether to look at limiting Evers' power with Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R-Juneau). FItzgerald is open to the idea, according to an aide.

"If there are areas where we could look and say, 'Geez — have we made mistakes where we granted too much power to the executive,' I'd be open to taking a look to say what can we do to change that to try to re-balance it," Vos told reporters.

"Maybe we made some mistakes giving too much power to Gov. (Scott) Walker and I'd be open to looking at that to see if there are areas we should change that, but it's far too early to do that before I talk to Scott Fitzgerald."

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ck/1918875002/
Clearly, too much power is OK if it only resides in the hands of Republicans. Who would have thunk it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin