Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 12:12 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,780,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Solid control of the House is hardly a drip. Gaining 7 Governorships. Record setting gains for women and minorities as well. But whatever makes you feel better.
I personally don't care that much one way or the other. My day to day life will do what it does after every election: hardly change at all. As will most people's.
I still say it's nothing to brag about. It's one of the lowest midterm turnovers in modern history, unlike 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 12:19 PM

512 posts, read 476,499 times
Quote:
Solid control of the House is hardly a drip. Gaining 7 Governorships. Record setting gains for women and minorities as well. But whatever makes you feel better.
Wisconsin Dems are seriously lucky it has Dane County, which continues to get bigger and bluer every election cycle. Dane literally offsets the rural losses for dems in WI, and Milwaukee County helps with that, too.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:22 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,639,397 times
Quote:
But lost a few senate seats.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:40 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,323,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
There were significant wins on both sides of the aisle, and the wins largely reflect the ongoing, deep geographical divide in this country.

No surprise that places like North Dakota and other low-population, conservative states fell to the GOP camp and increased GOP standing in the Senate.

OTOH, the Dem control of the House and of more state governorships is significant. Also significant is the narrow margin by which some Republicans won in traditionally conservative places. Ted Cruz vs Beto? Cruz should have won that handily, but he really fought for it. The Florida governorship? That was really close.

On the flip side, the same can be said of some Dem victories. Evers won the Wisconsin governorship, but just barely. Similar situation in a couple of other states.

Ultimately, the election showed that Trump's support remains strong in his base locations, general GOP support is strong in places where you would expect it to be, and support for Dems (either pro-Dem or anti-Trump) continues to solidify where you would expect it to.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,041,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post

Sure, but those were DINOS anyway for the most part. Right wingers. Not all were, but they were hardly progressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Wisconsin Dems are seriously lucky it has Dane County, which continues to get bigger and bluer every election cycle. Dane literally offsets the rural losses for dems in WI, and Milwaukee County helps with that, too.
WISCONSIN is lucky it has Dane County. Without it, and to a lesser extent, Milwaukee, the state would be bankrupt. Dane funds the state.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:49 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,192,425 times
Quote:
Considering Milwaukee Co. and Dane Co. combined are almost 40% of the total population of Wisconsin, what makes you think our voice shouldn't matter? Just because most conservatives live in the middle of nowhere covering a larger geographic area doesn't mean there are actually more of them.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:14 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,795,405 times
Quote:
Madison has been the punching bag of the right for a decade in Wisconsin. They may want to reconsider that strategy after yesterday.

Source: I live in Dane County and voted for the Democratic ticket last night.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:22 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,922,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Wisconsin is weird. Especially the county I live in. Statewide - Evers & Baldwin win. Yet the state assembly & state senate was mostly Republican. Also, most school referendums went through.

In my county Evers, Baldwin, & school referendum won by a landslide yet the the state assembly & state senate Republicans won by a landslide. I was a little worried when I left work & 2 of my outspoken liberal co-workers both said they were personally voting that way. So now we'll have chamber led Scott Fitzgerald vs Evers at a land lock & nothing will happen.
Gerrymandering will do that for you.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:43 PM

512 posts, read 476,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Considering Milwaukee Co. and Dane Co. combined are almost 40% of the total population of Wisconsin, what makes you think our voice shouldn't matter? Just because most conservatives live in the middle of nowhere covering a larger geographic area doesn't mean there are actually more of them.
Wasn't saying your voices didn't matter. I'm a Democrat and used to live in Milwaukee!

Old 11-07-2018, 02:47 PM

7,305 posts, read 5,189,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Well, done, Wisconsin!

(We Michiganders also threw out an anti-union knuckle-dragger as gov.)
LOL This always cracks me up when Lefties insult Righties this way over unions. Unions are communist organizations run by the Mafia. What could go wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin