Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 04:50 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain to me why the WOW counties are soooooo conservative? I never stray into Waukesha or Washington Co. (not avoiding them, just no reason to go) but when I go to Ozaukee County it just feels...off. I can't put my finger on it other than feeling very Stepford Wives.

I'm new to Milwaukee Co (and Wisconsin) so please explain how it came to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 08:11 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Can someone please explain to me why the WOW counties are soooooo conservative? I never stray into Waukesha or Washington Co. (not avoiding them, just no reason to go) but when I go to Ozaukee County it just feels...off. I can't put my finger on it other than feeling very Stepford Wives.

I'm new to Milwaukee Co (and Wisconsin) so please explain how it came to this.

There are probably a lot of reasons, but a few include: lower property taxes compared to Milwaukee County, yet reasonably close to Milwaukee; lots of bona fide longtime communities (some of them agricultural) with their own character that happened to become suburbs of Milwaukee by default; ongoing trends of white flight and flight from Milwaukee County's higher crime; people who don't like urban living and the liberal sensibility (diversity, walkability, etc.) associated with urban life....

I used to live in Mequon, and it is definitely different. There are many good things about it, really, but in my neighborhood there was a bit of a provincial mindset. One really nice older couple near me--originally from Shorewood--rarely ventured back into Milwaukee County and often commented that "you could get shot" driving south of Silver Spring Ave.... Another neighbor (a radiologist) had a similar outlook on Milwaukee County's crime scene, and often confided to me (I don't know why) that he lamented the presence of women and blacks in politics.... Most of the rest were just accustomed to the more tranquil and slower pace of life in Ozaukee. Some made regular trips to Milwaukee for concerts, museum visits, and such, but just preferred the quiet and orderly (and less expensive) tone of Ozaukee. Among these was a neurotic, trust fund woman in her 70s who tried to look like a Parisian model in her 20s. A few of the neighbors were Jewish, and enjoyed being near Mequon's sizeable Jewish community. A few of the elderly neighbors in my condo were there specifically to be near their sons and daughters (and grandkids) who lived nearby in larger houses. I enjoyed it then because my condo was very inexpensive, right by the highway, 15 minutes to work, and next to a beautiful, wooded ravine.

I got married and moved to the city to a bigger house in Bay View--still affordable (with two incomes) and near activities that we enjoy doing. The commute to work is still good, I'm on a bus line, and though there's more crime in BV, it isn't a dangerous place or anything like that. I insisted we get a house with a garage and no alley, and that has helped keep car break-ins and stuff like that at bay in our own lives.

Last edited by Empidonax; 11-09-2018 at 08:51 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
There are probably a lot of reasons, but a few include: lower property taxes compared to Milwaukee County, yet reasonably close to Milwaukee; lots of bona fide longtime communities (some of them agricultural) with their own character that happened to become suburbs of Milwaukee by default; ongoing trends of white flight and flight from Milwaukee County's higher crime; people who don't like urban living and the liberal sensibility (diversity, walkability, etc.) associated with urban life....
These things make sense but what makes Milwaukee's suburbs different than other metro areas? Sure, suburban counties are usually going to be less liberal than the city proper but Milwaukee seems to be quite stark.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:18 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
These things make sense but what makes Milwaukee's suburbs different than other metro areas? Sure, suburban counties are usually going to be less liberal than the city proper but Milwaukee seems to be quite stark.
Most of the Milwaukee County suburbs actually grew out of the expansion of Milwaukee, so they're true offshoots of the city. Some of them were "streetcar" suburbs. OTOH, many of the WOW suburbs existed as their own communities long before Milwaukee sprawl took over, so there's a sense among some people that they are not fully and completely a part of the Milwaukee orbit.

I'm not sure that Milwaukee's burbs are much different from certain other metro areas, though. Chicagoland, though larger, has had similar development patterns--more urbanized "streetcar" suburbs in Cook County, more of an independent history in Lake and farther counties. Similar patterns with Cleveland and Buffalo, among others.

Some metros don't have the basic pattern of the above metros-- a very densely populated and urban core surrounded by densely populated, urbanized suburbs, which itself is surrounded by low-density suburbs and exurbs in adjacent counties. This seems to be more predominant in Rust Belt and Industrial Northeast metros, particularly those with landlocked core cities.

"Newer" and less densely populated cities such as Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, etc. have very different patterns and, because of that perhaps, less of a stark contrast between the core and the outer suburban ring. Some of these newer cities can still annex land and grow their tax base, and often these metros are well within the center of their counties, so there aren't so many issues with property tax disparities at that level.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:50 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
We just passed a school referendum in Wauwatosa which will raise my property taxes 12% a year for the next 20 years (adds $1.88 per $1K assessed value). I am 76 y/o. I am not happy about this - especially since SS increases are barely 2-3%. Maintaining this place (sans taxes) - repairs, etc. - costs about $6k/year. While I'm not starving, adding $500 a year to my expenses over which I have no control is disturbing. I did vote no on this referendum, btw. Wauwatosa has done a great job of not increasing its tax base by approving lots of new construction - but three new schools in a community of 7,200 students? I guess as a senior, with no kids or grandkids in the schools, I shouldn't be owning a home anymore. Some states actually remove the school tax for seniors or freeze their taxes.

No, your property taxes won't be going up over ten percent per year for twenty years(!)- that's simply not feasible. [I am certain I would have heard of this by now from my friends who live in your area .]

Double check your math/decimal points. Maybe post your assessed home value too. Not even Chicago has *regular* annual increases that high, and RE taxes bills are much higher on average down here.

Here's an example of a $250K home for sale now on zillow in Tosa. Look at the numbers. The annual increase won't be going up ten percent each year- it would be less if you do the math on the posted assessed value. Closer to 8 percent, but this doesn't compound AFAIK. It's a fixed amount added each year for twenty years. And you would have the homestead exemption on top of that.

https://imgur.com/a/6BBr7GP

Old 11-09-2018, 10:17 AM

512 posts, read 474,128 times
I should also add that the WOW counties are more exuburban (or sparsely populated) than many other "suburban counties" in other metros, but as the OP and I pointed out, the WOW (except for Washington) counties seem to be becoming less Republican post-Trump based on the 2016 and 2018 election results compared with 2014, but at a much slower rate than other metros for the reasons you guys pointed out. This is happening everywhere and is why Dems won back the House on Tuesday.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
I should also add that the WOW counties are more exuburban (or sparsely populated) than many other "suburban counties" in other metros, but as the OP and I pointed out, the WOW (except for Washington) counties seem to be becoming less Republican post-Trump based on the 2016 and 2018 election results compared with 2014, but at a much slower rate than other metros for the reasons you guys pointed out. This is happening everywhere and is why Dems won back the House on Tuesday.
That's very true. Even going from my house in Shorewood to Mequon I feel like I'm driving FOREVER. Forget about Grafton.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:48 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
No, your property taxes won't be going up over ten percent per year for twenty years(!)- that's simply not feasible. [I am certain I would have heard of this by now from my friends who live in your area .]

Double check your math/decimal points. Maybe post your assessed home value too. Not even Chicago has *regular* annual increases that high, and RE taxes bills are much higher on average down here.

Here's an example of a $250K home for sale now on zillow in Tosa. Look at the numbers. The annual increase won't be going up ten percent each year- it would be less if you do the math on the posted assessed value. Closer to 8 percent, but this doesn't compound AFAIK. It's a fixed amount added each year for twenty years. And you would have the homestead exemption on top of that.

https://imgur.com/a/6BBr7GP
Yes, you are correct. I conflated EFMV w/assessed value. Assessed value of $258,500. On a net tax bill of $5,942 (after credits), increase will be $485.98, or 8.17%. Now, I don't know about you, but an 8.17% increase is pretty outrageous for a retired person. Yes, I know this is not compounded. Nonetheless, with SS COLA of 2.8% and a crazy stock market this year thanks to tariffs and the tax giveaway - and with next year a big unknown - most forward guidance lower because of tariffs and skyrocketing deficits and rising interest rates - 8.17% increase in my largest expense is not good when the economy is on the path to a retraction.

It's not that I can't afford it at the moment - but to be hit with an increase like this when all predictions are for much lower investment returns this year and in the future AND higher inflation - this means other areas like charitable contributions will not increase or even be reduced. I tend to be forward looking - and if I see headwinds coming, I start to scale back. So, property taxes go up 8.17%, HO/Auto Insurance is always good for a 10% increase annually - minimum - because we pay for the hurricane/tornado damage in other parts of the country, an annual 10% increase in cable/internet - when 10% increases in sensible investments are not possible. And, I'm not a conservative investor - I do buy growth funds and maintain at least a 60% position in equities because I may still be around in 20 years - and I'm still driving my 18 y/o car b/c I don't drive enough to justify replacing it.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-09-2018 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 05:00 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It will be pure joy watching Walker go down in November.
Tuesday was a great night.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:26 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Tuesday was a great night.
11/6/18 was a good day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyWcL88nbZs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin