Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 06:54 AM

31 posts, read 94,169 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our boy scout troop will be traveling July 2016 to northern Minnesota for a canoeing trip. They are coming from Indiana and will want to stop overnight somewhere just north of Eau Claire WI. That's our best guess anyway. My questions to the locals or those who know the area (Hwy 53 North), could anyone recommend a good safe hotel or motel? I would like to compile a list of choices from Eau Claire to about 3 hours south of Duluth, MN. This way as they travel and know better where they may want to stop, they will have information on the choices. I will research and try to give the boys 2 or 3 choices at each stop. Some stops may have only one choice, but if it's a nice clean place with eats near, that's ok! A motel is fine as long as it is family friendly and has a place to eat near-by. Also, if you know of other concerns like road construction, all information would be helpful and very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 09:11 AM

306 posts, read 337,389 times
I would suggest Chippewa Falls. Eau Claire is within 3 hours from Duluth so if your looking to stay about 3 hours away I wouldn't go past New Auburn. There are plenty of hotels around Chi Falls , and it's generally a nice area. I've also stayed in the Super 8 hotel in Osseo (south of Eau Claire) and it's fine.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:09 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,036,441 times
I'd add to look at Trip Advisor as well; helps locate hotels along one's path and give some decent comparisons for pricing and quality.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:30 PM

74 posts, read 86,306 times
I'm not clear whether it's on your route or not, but I highly recommend the Sleep Inn north of Eau Claire on Hwy 29. It's in the sticks, but it's a surprisingly comfortable hotel, big travel plaza attached with a decent (not truck-stoppy) restaurant, pool, etc. I used to travel to EC regularly with my family and have probably stayed at every hotel in the area, and this is the one we keep coming back to. We overlooked it for a long time for better "names" but it's a pleasant surprise.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:49 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,055,038 times
I traveled the state extensively for business for years. Best value and opportunity for a good breakfast in a clean hotel with a large pool along your route is The Plaza Hotel in Eau Claire. You will be just over 3 hours south of Duluth and the hotel has food on site or you are adjacent to a college campus with food choices galore. Pizza and fast food is across the street.
www.plazaeauclaire.com

Second choice, although smaller, would be to continue to Rice Lake and stay at the AmericInn Hotel and eat at the Norske Nook next door. Best Pie anywhere other than my mothers.
Rice Lake WI Hotels - AmericInn Rice Lake Hotel & Suites
Norske Nook | Delicious Norwegian Cooking and Award-Winning Pies

Old 05-26-2016, 02:49 PM

306 posts, read 337,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycledoppelganger View Post
I'm not clear whether it's on your route or not, but I highly recommend the Sleep Inn north of Eau Claire on Hwy 29. It's in the sticks, but it's a surprisingly comfortable hotel, big travel plaza attached with a decent (not truck-stoppy) restaurant, pool, etc. I used to travel to EC regularly with my family and have probably stayed at every hotel in the area, and this is the one we keep coming back to. We overlooked it for a long time for better "names" but it's a pleasant surprise.

This is a nice hotel, it's by 29 Pines. It's about 10 miles west of the 53/29 intersection on Highway 29.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:55 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,036,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Second choice, although smaller, would be to continue to Rice Lake and stay at the AmericInn Hotel and eat at the Norske Nook next door. Best Pie anywhere other than my mothers.
Rice Lake WI Hotels - AmericInn Rice Lake Hotel & Suites
Norske Nook | Delicious Norwegian Cooking and Award-Winning Pies

They built a Norske Nook here in town this past winter, and i can agree the pies (and serving size) do not suck

I only say that, cuz if when i was a scout and a trip included a hearty helping of pie before lights out.... it would have been one more bonus along the way lol

Old 05-26-2016, 07:53 PM

74 posts, read 86,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
I traveled the state extensively for business for years. Best value and opportunity for a good breakfast in a clean hotel with a large pool along your route is The Plaza Hotel in Eau Claire. You will be just over 3 hours south of Duluth and the hotel has food on site or you are adjacent to a college campus with food choices galore. Pizza and fast food is across the street.
The problem with that Plaza is that the quality of the rooms varies hugely. Some of the rooms are appointed very nicely as described and seen in the website. But there are other rooms, particularly outside the circular tower area, which are extremely dated. It is one of the few places I've ever considered asking for a refund on. The room I stayed in had an old fashioned tube TV of about 24 inches, a non functioning remote, a mattress about 2" thick, and a bathroom which had obviously not been updated in my (not insignificant) lifetime. All this was located down a hallway that stretched for miles with random sets of 3 or 4 steps up and down. Meanwhile my sister in law was across the hotel near the tower and had a lovely, modern room. We paid the same amount.

I don't know what their deal is, or if they've remodeled the facility in the last 2 years or so since this stay, but I would not return there when there are so many other hotels that can provide a standardized experience.

Edit: I second looking at Trip advisor. I just went there to double check my memory and found several people with the same complaints I had about the Plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin