Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:25 PM

325 posts, read 863,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Some of the companies do that. With BH we receive a monthly stipend since we don't rely on the company for housing. I forgot how much it is, but it's over $1k.
Ah, thanks for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,569 times
I have a question... I have 15+ years experience driving trucks, 10+ in a log truck. I got a DUI 3 years ago in June. Still driving a log truck today. Do I have a shot at getting a good paying job up there? Or should I just go to work tomorrow?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM

88 posts, read 220,297 times
Depends on the company your trying to hook onto. The larger the company, the harder to get with. With that said, most company applications want to know about 3 years back, yours being done in June means your clear and I would not even mention it.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 PM

581 posts, read 2,216,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logtruckeroregon View Post
I have a question... I have 15+ years experience driving trucks, 10+ in a log truck. I got a DUI 3 years ago in June. Still driving a log truck today. Do I have a shot at getting a good paying job up there? Or should I just go to work tomorrow?
Nearly every trucking company needs no DUI, Careless, Wreckless, for 3 years. I would recommend to tell the company you are applying this up front (about your 3 year + old DUI. If you say "clean record" and they find it that looks really bad on your part. Some companies go back 5-7 years. If you had a DUI three years and 5 months ago and have a bunch of current speeding tickets that will still disqualify you from the bigger companies. Be up front. If you have nothing else on your record you should be fine. DO NOT hide it. It will come out.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 PM

581 posts, read 2,216,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logtruckeroregon View Post
To answer your question. Yes you could get a good paying job in ND.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 PM

625 posts, read 1,884,476 times
Default Jobs aren't just in the oilpatch...

It's not just in the oil patch that there are jobs.

Here in ValleyCity, I just looked and within 25 miles of town there are 121 job descriptions listed at jobsnd for 231 positions open right now.

There are jobs pretty much every where. Here’s just a list of some I saw.
The college needs a Choir Director, Network Admin, Systems Admin, Financial Aid Director, and VP Business Office.

The hospital, clinics, and nursing home need an OR nurse, housekeeper, CNA, a doctor, Pharm Tech, RN, Med Lab Tech, Family Med Doctor and cooks.

The city needs a city administrator.

The truck stop 10 miles east needs wait staff, bakers, cashier, asst mgr, cook.

Several manufacturing jobs – assembler, press brake, machine operators, mfg assemblers, welders, shift supt, shipping& receiving, CNC programmer machinists, process mechanic.

Several fast food places have openings for pretty much anything.

Several different classes of electricians.

More listings in no particular order….UPS seasonal helpers, flooring & cabinet salesperson, bartender, maint person for apartment rental co, grocery stock person, carryout & deli help, window cleaner, asst mgr, 3 or 4 banks need tellers, auto mechanic, lube rack tech, farm help, mechanics helper, heavy equip operators, truck driver, cashier & floor help at local co-op station/farm supply store, weights & measures inspector (state job!), inventory takers, merchandiser, raido broadcaster/on-air personality, office mgr, delivery driver for lumberyard, motel desk clerk, convenience store cashier, fast order cook @ bar, cook, wait staff, ready-mix driver, accountants, administrator, data analyst, buyer’s asst, data analyst, buyer’s assistant, retail packaging worker, grain milling production worker, office administrators.

Sure these jobs don’t pay what the oilfield pays, but we do have plenty of housing. I looked at 2 realtors and there are probably 30 some houses for sale ranging from $48,000 to $295,000. Most are under $160,000 and range from 2-5 bedrooms and 1-3 baths. Most are in town, but several are up at the lake, and a few are in neighboring small (under 500 pop.) towns or out in the country.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]In a 50 mile radius there are 446 descriptions for 689 positions. That gets you over to Jamestown & down to Lisbon as well as many surrounding small towns. [/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius14 View Post
Gonna be heading out soon with a friend. I'm just wondering if jobs are still plentiful in Williston. Iv heard of people getting hired an hour after they get into town, is this still happening?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:37 PM

265 posts, read 687,525 times
Thank You for your input 3-Oaks.Peace

Old 11-18-2011, 07:17 AM

13 posts, read 41,440 times
There are also lots of jobs in the Sidney, MT area. Absolutely NO housing unless you can afford to buy a 200K+ home. Very few camper spots and most are at least $600 with electricity only. Dont even think about getting a quick burger at McDonalds; drive through only which can take 30-40 minutes. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 AM

11 posts, read 17,095 times
Hi, I'm brazilian and there is a chance to know and spend my vacation in Williston in winter! Anyone can tell me about the city? What has there for fun? What about the people? thanks.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM

131 posts, read 454,207 times
My husband has 6 yrs driving a smooth bore tanker, but he just got his 3rd ticket in 3yrs - we are awaiting court on that on, any chance for him? We also have an RV any parking spots if we come out?
We are desperate to get out of where we are at!! Thanks all for your answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston