Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:42 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,364,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
2 bedroom apt in the Williston Herald today. $1750/month. Wow. I guess Lisa, you are right. The only "better" is for the landlords. I'd feel guilty charging those rates. One of our guys got a 3 bedroom house with garage and yard for $2K per month a few months ago. Times they are a changin....again.
Lucky guy - tell him to hold onto it!

Once spring/summer hits I wonder if the guy who was renting RV's for $1,250 a month will start doing it again. And just the RV - you have to find a place to park it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:57 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,071,115 times
Quote:
2 bedroom apt in the Williston Herald today. $1750/month.
Holy cow! That looks like a New York City or San Francisco Bay Area price.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 37,499 times
Its true! My husband has been up in ND since Jan and is pulling 600-1400 per day. Now, there are days they are not able to work because the weather but it all balances out. Sure, is alot more money than he has ever made. Some days he only works 3-4 hrs. Hope this helps. We are looking to relocate to ND but HOUSING is sparce..... Good Luck!

Old 03-19-2011, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 37,403 times
Housing issues aside for just a minute, what can a 20 year over the road veteran with a spotless driving record realistically earn in the oilfields in Northwestern North Dakota. Also I grew up in Westcentral MN so the weather wont scare me off.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheasant hunter View Post
Housing issues aside for just a minute, what can a 20 year over the road veteran with a spotless driving record realistically earn in the oilfields in Northwestern North Dakota. Also I grew up in Westcentral MN so the weather wont scare me off.
My friends husband is a truck driver up here, I know a lot of the places are starting at $60-80k but he's making $150k, he's been doing it for a few years.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 37,314 times
Who do you work for out there?
Quote:
Owner operators in many cases are "making" more more than $1000 per day. Would they actually be putting that much $$ in their pockets...No. Most owner operators are paid by the hour or by the barrel. The company I work for pays owner operators $100 per hour. Most days are 14 hours per day. That's $1400 per day but that all not gravy. Trucks are expensive. Fuel, tires, breakdowns, insurance, etc. Owner operators make good money there is no doubt but there's always the chance that the trucking company can kick owner operators to the curb by adding more of their own equipment. If you can get on with the right outfit you can make some serious $$$$. We pay our owner operators every 2 weeks so they have a ton of cash flow. Some trucking companies pay the leasers when the oil company pays them.....which could be 30, 45, 60, and even 90 days! Tough to budget for sure.

Regarding the harassment of out of ND, MT workers....It might be true for some companies but the majority of people working in this oil boom are not from ND. If the company I work for didn't hire out of state workers we'd be about 40 people short. There's no way ND can do it without out of state workers. There just aren't enough people in ND to keep up with the oilfield! Don't listen to the horror stories of mean ND employers. If they employers want to make $$, they need workers! ND/MT has some of the nicest people in the nation. I have yet to hear any of these stories of ND employers picking on out of staters.

It is tough to just show up on a companies doorstep and lease a truck on. Generally you need to know someone who knows someone. We rarely hire guys that don't have ties to someone that works for us. Good luck! Tons of opportunity here in ND. The least your boyfriend can do is try working for someone that leases trucks on as a company driver with the option to add a truck if he turns out to be a good hand.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 36,804 times
Kychlo, What company do you work for,And are they still looking for O/O's?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 67,398 times
We are planning on moving to the Dickinson area soon. My husband is a driver. I have been hearing about how dangerous hauling crude oil is (even drivers claiming they were blocked on roads in their trucks and "hijacked"). Is there any truth to this? Also, they are saying that cell phone service is slim to none in most places. Is that true? What driving jobs are the best paying? Does anyone know of any companies that allow drivers to work Monday through Friday with weekends off?
*lisan23* If you don't mind me asking, "What kind of driving job does your friend's husband do and what company does he work for?".

Old 04-22-2011, 07:24 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,221,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar6 View Post
We are planning on moving to the Dickinson area soon. My husband is a driver. I have been hearing about how dangerous hauling crude oil is (even drivers claiming they were blocked on roads in their trucks and "hijacked"). Is there any truth to this? Also, they are saying that cell phone service is slim to none in most places. Is that true? What driving jobs are the best paying? Does anyone know of any companies that allow drivers to work Monday through Friday with weekends off?
*lisan23* If you don't mind me asking, "What kind of driving job does your friend's husband do and what company does he work for?".
Truth:
Cell phone coverage is slim to none outside of towns unless you are on I-94 or US 2. Most towns are about 1 hour drive (50-70 miles) apart in Western North Dakota.

Myth:
Crude oil trucks are never hijacked. They may be high centered or broken down as ruts on some of the dirt roads may be so bad that a semi will break something if it makes a turn. That's largely the fault of the oil industry so it's tough to point the finger at yourself. Plus, think about this, what is a thief going to do if they do steal it. Refineries won't take it and neither will the crude terminals. This isn't Nigeria.

Truck drivers will not work a 8-5 M-F job. It doesn't happen. There may be some companies that offer a 1 week on, 1 week off but I doubt that it will last as either the pay will be too low (ie. labor is hired away) or services will be slow (ie. lose your customer base). With the thaw being on, I doubt anyone is working this right now.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar6 View Post
He drives fuel to rigs. That being said, he definitely does not have a M-F schedule.

Honestly... no truck driving job up here has a M-F schedule unless you're looking to be a delivery driver for Napa or something like that.

We have Verizon, my husband is able to call me from most locations he's working on. I know flyingkat2k said it's slim to none off the major highways, but my husband has been in the middle of nowhere and has been able to call me. It can be spotty, but it's a lot better than what it was in Wyoming.

I don't think the thaw is slowing anything down. In fact, it's been more busy now than it was before, at least for my husband. He's been out on a job every single day for the last week and is booked through the next 3 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston