Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 AM

305 posts, read 767,799 times

Advertisements

Asheville currency certainly would not be illegal if done properly. Chapel Hill/Carrboro and surrounding areas have had the Plenty in circulation for many years. I think there's also a local currency in Durham.

OP, I don't have much to add, but wanted to echo the others about jobs. We're in Chapel Hill (great place, too, btw) and have had mild aspirations to move to Asheville for years. Got a good job here, though, and although we have friends in Asheville and have kept one eye open for tech jobs for years nothing has ever popped up that would be a good fit. We might still move one day, but will definitely have employment in place first.

If you're interested in considering the triangle area of NC (not as beautiful as Ashevegas, but not too far away) we do have an ethnically diverse population here and I think your family would fit in fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 AM

45 posts, read 80,469 times
Most neighborhood are mixed in the city. The most diverse are probably Kenilworth (center of city, but in the woods), Montford (higher % of African-Americans) and the west side (though becoming gentrified). North side is really nice and walkable to UNC-A.

Asheville has the bible thumpers but also has Wiccans and all "persuasions" in between.

Jobs are a greater concern, though if you're looking to start up something, there are always niches.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:17 PM

337 posts, read 663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peanuts1pumpkin View Post
So my family and I are considering a move to NC to get away from the Cleveland winters. We have heard wonderful things about Asheville and my husband pretty much has his heart set on moving there. We are planning a trip there for next month, to look at some home and check out the area.

However, I have a HUGE concern... our family is racially and culturally mixed (DH is from the Middle East, DD and I are white, our twin boys are African American). I do realize that there is racism EVERYWHERE, but I certainly don't want to be setting my family up for problems, kwim??? And, although Cleveland is by no means a bastion of racial harmony, at least we don't get weird looks or experience blatant harassment.

My next question would be is there a particular neighborhood you would recommend? We would prefer an an area with good schools (DD is 9 and the boys are babies). Are there any racially diverse neighborhoods? Our budget is in the $250,00- $325,000 range.

Thanks!!!!

leah
I relocated from S.Fl and rent here was comparable to there, but properties here didn't offer what Florida did, so I'm paying more for less here.

Jobs are not big here. This is a big tourist area and tourism has been non existant for several years. A once vibrant downtown is now seeing some of it's shops/rest. all begin to close down or severely cut hours.

Local hospital is building a new Cancer center, but just laid off a lot of Nurses the other day.

NC is one of the worst economic places on the East Coast.

On a good note the area is very beautiful, people are very nice and friendly, area is a melting pot of cultures and lifestyles. People will not give you any issues about your mixed family, atleast not to your face.

Plenty of mixed relationships here, I was even shocked to see considering the area I was coming to. Ashevill really isn't NC w/ regards to it's mentality, sure you will find some, but as a whole it's a great place to live and be the weather is the only real key to the area, aside from it's lovely patrons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina