Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:26 PM

13 posts, read 42,207 times

Advertisements

Ok so the Boone business fell through ... so now I am suck in South Florida still...completely dying to get out. I look everyday to buy a established business in Asheville or the surrounding areas. I found a pretty decent one in Brevard.

I am originally from the UK and grew up in the country. Then at the age of 16 my parents moved me to South Florida. NOW... I am 39. I have two boys (10 and 6) and I COMPETELY refuse to bring them up down here... so we are leaving...

I am thinking of living in Arden (because of the schools) and working in Brevard (if this business works out) What do you guys think? Is the commute to far? How does Brevard compare with Asheville as far as things to do, schools, nightlife??.

Not to be rude... but are there alot of people from South Florida up there.??? ( i hope not)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 06:51 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,252,934 times
I like Brevard a lot. It's a bit smaller than say Asheville or Hendersonville but, it's one of my favorite little towns in the area. I don't know really what the demographics are - I know there are a lot of retirees there though.

One thought though, since you want to be closer to Asheville (or so it seems) but, your business is in Brevard why not consider living in Hendersonville? I love living in Henderson County but then again, I'm biased

Old 10-07-2009, 11:19 AM

679 posts, read 1,463,630 times
I live in the Arden area and have been to Brevard. If my aging memory serves me it is about 40 minutes or so. I have no idea what traffic you might see. Brevard has always seemed nice enough. I think Halo's comments on the demographics are probably spot on.

As far as the number of people from South Florida, I don't know about Brevard in particular. In the area, well, let's just say you will feel right at home. As Organick put it in another thread, perhaps Asheville should become North Florida or South New York. It does not sound like that's what you wanted to hear, though.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsforme View Post
Ok so the Boone business fell through ... so now I am suck in South Florida still...completely dying to get out. I look everyday to buy a established business in Asheville or the surrounding areas. I found a pretty decent one in Brevard.

I am originally from the UK and grew up in the country. Then at the age of 16 my parents moved me to South Florida. NOW... I am 39. I have two boys (10 and 6) and I COMPETELY refuse to bring them up down here... so we are leaving...

I am thinking of living in Arden (because of the schools) and working in Brevard (if this business works out) What do you guys think? Is the commute to far? How does Brevard compare with Asheville as far as things to do, schools, nightlife??.

Not to be rude... but are there alot of people from South Florida up there.??? ( i hope not)
Can't comment for sure on how many Floridians have relocated there, but Brevard is a lovely, desirable community. It is also known for its music center, where artists come from far and wide to teach and perform. In addition, Brevard has some good public schools

http://www.brevardnc.com/
http://www.brevardnc.org/

Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 PM

616 posts, read 1,752,851 times
Brevard is attractive, lively but not crazy, terrific music center, and in the midst of waterfalls, forest (Pisgah?), easy access to Blue Ridge Parkway. Lots of Floridians relocated to WNC in the late '90s early 2000s when they were able to cash in their Florida homes and head north and buy cheaper land/homes. You may hear the expression "halfbacks" - those are folks who started out in the north, fled the cold to Florida, probably raised a family, worked, enjoyed their home's appreciation, vacationed in the many cabins and camps of WNC, and after kids were out and retirement possibilities approached, decided to move halfway back ... to WNC. WNC has a love-hate relationship with the terrorists ... erm ... tourists ... who swell the area's population in the summer.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 PM

155 posts, read 158,909 times
There are some "South Floridians" in Brevard (i.e. NY'ers is what they really are they just happened to have FL plates). But it's not overwhelming. I was born in S FL, but I'm a native Floridian, and I completely understand what you mean by your question. Brevard hasnt changed much in the last 15 years in my opinion. Still a nice, quaint little town. I remember when many places in FL were quiet and quaint, so trust me, I know all about change and know what you mean, lol.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 7,249 times
Brevard also has a couple of good restaurants (and a GREAT Chinese buffet place), as well as lots of scenic spots and decent fishing. Not that it's a deal-maker, but a lot of the squirrels there are solid white!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:52 AM

33 posts, read 173,810 times
I am a Transylvania native and probably see Brevard differently than those who just visit.

Uptown Brevard is a tourist trap just like uptown Waynesville, Highlands, Hendersonville ect. Natives must drive thru downtown to get to most services they need. There are few services uptown except the courthouse. Everything for locals is on the edge of town or in Pisgah Forest. Most days in the summer and leaf looker season uptown is almost deadlocked. I guess this is good. At least the work keeps the locals from starving to death thanks to $6.50 an hour and food stamps.

BadTiger

Old 10-17-2009, 12:16 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,972,313 times
+1 to what BadTiger said. Ive lived here all my life and really like the town. And whoever said Brevard hasnt changed much in 15 years must have been living under a rock. The town, though still a small town with a small town feel, has changed a lot in the last 15 years....some of it good, some not good. There are plenty of Floridians, so you will feel at home. We have great schools, lots of outdoor stuff to do, and close to places like Asheville.

What kind of business are you wanting to start here?

Old 10-21-2009, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 18,788 times
There is now a 4 lane rode (hwy 280) that runs directly from Brevard to Arden. It is about a 40 minute drive depending on traffic and where you live in Brevard. There is one really great pub in Brevard, Dugans. As far night life, it is more of an outdoor centered community. The Mills River area has some nice homes and is in between Arden and Brevard. Asheville has some nice places for going out and is about 30 min from Mills River. The schools in this area are also good. There is a brand new shopping complex within about a 10 minute drive. Mills River is a beautifull area that was once home to several huge farms. Very pretty area. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina