Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 08:53 PM

278 posts, read 1,002,032 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Asheville area w/in the next yr or so.

From all the research I have seen, it seems hard to find land NOT in a development around Asheville. We want about 10-20 acres to build 2 houses and a possible mother-in-law cabin. Is that possible?? If so, how much?? We dont want to buy, build our dream homes and have a subdivision built nextdoor in a year... Any advice for us??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 08:50 AM

34 posts, read 81,907 times
Default A Little Further Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
We are thinking about moving to Asheville area w/in the next yr or so.

From all the research I have seen, it seems hard to find land NOT in a development around Asheville. We want about 10-20 acres to build 2 houses and a possible mother-in-law cabin. Is that possible?? If so, how much?? We dont want to buy, build our dream homes and have a subdivision built nextdoor in a year... Any advice for us??

Thanks!
I doubt you will find what you are looking for in the immediate Asheville area. Asheville is one of those places where the real estate recession has not affected and land and home values are very high. You must go a short distance out, like maybe Canton. This is a nice rural area, but it is just a 15 minute very easy drive to Asheville. Have you tried www.realtor.com ? This is a great site that lists every single property for sale on the MLS. You will see everything except properties that are "For Sale By Owner". Just go to that site, enter Canton, NC, check only land, select 10 or more acres. I just did that and 36 properties came up. I looked at one that appeared very nice ...... 10.64 acres for $165,000. Obviously, there is no way anyone can guarantee there will never be a development built next to you, however, there are some things you can do to lessen that possibility. The best protection is to buy a parcel that adjoins a National Forest. You will pay more for this but it is extremely desirable.
Good luck.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:18 AM

15 posts, read 105,049 times
We bought around 18 beautiful rural acres (mostly rolling pastureland) in Marshall for around $100,000 three years ago. We don't live there full time (yet) but hope to build someday. We currently have a large RV which we stay in when we go up there.
We had contacted a local realtor at random over the internet, then went up there to meet with him. He knew the area well since he was from there. He took us around to several places for sale and we happened to find this one that has 360 degree views of the mountains, so we bought it the next day. Marshall is around 40 minutes from Asheville and has a small downtown. The French Broad river runs through the town. We love the area.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the posts..

I am VERY familiar with realtor.com. We bought our first house after finding it on that site. Thanks.
I have been looking on there but only found stuff in developments.

Our range is within 30 miles of Asheville or Hendersonville area. We want land that doesnt have restrictions for it... So we can build how we want/ have horses and such.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
We bought 17 acres in Rutherford County,it is more than 30 miles from Asheville but not too bad a run up Hwy 74 to I-26.

We paid less than $3000/acre but have spent a lot to get things done.
You can find some nice properties in the area and probably be closer to Asheville.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 AM

I think we are going to look more into NW Arkansas now. Asheville is beautiful but I dont like how I cant get land without all these devopments going up in every direction... within 20 yrs that whole county will be suburbia and thats what I'm trying to avoid. Plus its too expensive for my taste. I get more land in NW AR with similar mountains then I can in NC. Thanks for all the posting...

Old 08-21-2009, 08:44 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
I think we are going to look more into NW Arkansas now. Asheville is beautiful but I dont like how I cant get land without all these devopments going up in every direction... within 20 yrs that whole county will be suburbia and thats what I'm trying to avoid. Plus its too expensive for my taste. I get more land in NW AR with similar mountains then I can in NC. Thanks for all the posting...
Very true,of course some will say what about the economic situation in AR but it doesn't seem that WNC is exactly overwhelmed with good paying jobs either.

Good luck in your search and have fun looking....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina