Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 AM

5 posts, read 16,055 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband(32) and I(28) are relocating to Asheville area along with our 2 kids ages 11 & 9 due to promotions at his place of work.

I am unfamiliar with the area and would like to find some where similar to home... that is very country FL. I would like to find a place that still has that "Mayberry" type feel as that is kinda like our current home town. Small and friendly everyone knows everyone kind of place.
I sincerly hope that kind of place as "hokey" as it sounds can be found in NC.
Also is anyone familiar with The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa? This is where we'll be staying in 2 weeks to get familiar with the area & check out his new job.
By the way does anyone know about the new hospital/assisted living facility soon to be built in Asheville??

Many thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 08:18 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,790 times
You'll enjoy the Grove Park Inn, fabulous place. Their lobby is unbelievable, fun to eat on the Sunset Terrace. It has a daily trolley that will take you to downtown Asheville, but also go on down to "Biltmore Village" to enjoy the outdoor English Tudor shops.

For a Mayberry type town, there was a thread here a few months ago, said something like "Best Small Town in WNC," you might can do a search for "Small Town" and find it. But "Black Mountain" was the big winner.

To get to Blk Mt from the Inn, take Charlotte Street on back down to I-240 and go east onto I-240, which later blends into I-40 east, take the Blk Mt exit about 15 minutes down that way. Find out where Lake Tomahawk is and go over there and park, walk around the lake, sit at the southern apex and look north at the "Seven Sisters" mountains. Also walk on up into the lake neighborhood just east of the lake, which is between the lake and "downtown," and it's just an awfully cute and comfortable area of homes, where you might want to live. Then drive back to town and park somewhere, visit the shops downtown, lots of fun, tourists galore, outdoor art studios just west of the main blocks, plus music venues. Then also drive on up the hill from the center of town to adjacent Montreat, unique and beautiful area for church groups, another but smaller lake.

Others will say close-by Weaverville, or Mars Hill, both are north. Larger mid-sized towns are close-by Hendersonville, and Brevard, which are south. Then there's Waynesville, about 45 minutes west. If you like horses, Tryon, a long ways down I-26, might fit.

Also, just south of Hendersonville is "Flat Rock." A nice area, doesn't have a true "downtown," rather they go to Hendersonville for shopping. But see can you get a little special brochure with a map of just that area, it has the State Playhouse, Carl Sandburg Home and Farm, and a wonderful B&B Inn, I think it's called Highlands Inn or something, sits on many acres of gardens, lake, and land being turned into a mini-town, and also there's a historical church and an outdoor church in Flat Rock.

Try to ride up on the Parkway somewhere during your visit, just from one exit to another will give you a good taste of what that's like, really pretty drive, 45 mph the whole way through the whole western part of the state, lots of overlooks to pull off.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 14,309 times
I live in Arden (South Asheville). Great school, safe, great shopping but it's a little bit pricey.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:08 AM

312 posts, read 1,017,779 times
Marshall is way out there, however it has that old country feel to it. Leicester isnt as much as Mayberry, however it is country and awesome!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:48 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
As far as the Asheville area, Madison county is the most rural, then Haywood, Henderson and finally Buncombe.

Population Density

Madison County - 43.7 persons per square mile
Haywood County - 97.5
Henderson - 238.4
Buncombe - 314.5
City of Asheville - 1,683.4

2000 Census

Incorporated Cities and Towns

Madison County - Hot Springs, Mars Hill & Marshall.
Haywood County - Canton, Clyde, Lake Junaluska, Maggie Valley, Waynesville & West Canton.
Henderson County - Balfour, Barker Heights, Bat Cave, East Flat Rock, Etowah, Flat Rock, Fletcher, Hendersonville, Laurel Park, Mills River, Mountain Home, Saluda & Valley Hill.
Buncombe County - Asheville, Biltmore Forest, Black Mountain, Montreat, Weaverville & Woodfin.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-24-2008 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina