Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 PM

45 posts, read 178,255 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to the Hickory area. I've been a snowbird (FL/NC) since I retired, but I'm really fed up with FL politicians, taxes, insurance, etc. I don't want to live here any longer. I have a place in West Jefferson, but I don't want to deal with the snow in the mountains. If I live in NC year round, I probably need a place where the winter is milder. Lenoir to Hickory seems like an ideal area for year-round living.

I discovered by reading on the Lenoir forum that I shouldn't buy in West Lenoir. Where are the areas in the Hickory Metro area where I shouldn't live. I'm a 65-year-old widow, and I need to be in a place I would feel secure. However, I hate the idea of living in a "gated community" where they can tell me what I can and cannot do. (I sold a condo because they told me I had to walk my cats on a leash. Have you ever tried walking a cat on a leash?)

Most of the houses I've seen that I can afford and that appeal to me have been in the NW sections of Hickory. Is that a safe area? I'm assuming the numbered streets are the older sections of town. In Miami, the older sections were also generally the most of the criminals live. I knew not to buy in the NW section of Miami-Dade County. Is that true in Hickory?

I'm not especially concerned about the schools except how they would impact resale value. I'm a retired teacher so I would prefer to live in an area that has good schools, but resale is my major concern. Hopefully, I'll love Hickory so much that I'll die there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 08:32 PM

230 posts, read 578,757 times
Hello, check out the "Mountain View" Area of Hickory, many nice subdivisions, tell your realtor to look a bit out of Mountain View, I know there are 2 or 3 very quiet and clean neighborhoods. If you want it kind of upscale then look in to the "Old River Trails/ Falls" Subdivision. Hope this helps. Bye!

also... Old German Schnitzel Haus (http://www.oldgermanschnitzelhaus.com - broken link) ;o)

Old 07-15-2009, 09:24 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
Taylorsville NC is about 20 miles to Hickory. It is a great small town, and so close to Hickory, Statesville, Wilkesoro, all 20 minutes away.

Winston Salem, Charlottee, about 1 hour away.

Real estate cheap, taxes low, low crime, and people from Florida relocating here as well, our family is one of them. Check it out. A realtor to call would be Cooper Southern. I didn't use them when we relocated, but they are big here in the town.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:25 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
I also like the Moutain View Area, but my husband and kids didn't.

There's a nice developement in Conover, next door to Hickory by about 5 minutes . .. Rock Barn area is very nice.

I also love Bethlehem. It is in Alexander county, where Taylorsville is, but is next door. Hiddenite is another good small town, very close to Statesville.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:25 PM

5 posts, read 8,292 times
as a registered nurse how are the hospitals working conditions in both the carolinas medical center and unc hospital systems i.e staffing pay scale nurse to patient ratios in critical care areas

Old 07-26-2009, 09:23 PM

60 posts, read 197,948 times
Default nw hickory is great

I like the neighborhoods off of Grace Chapel road. It is more scenic and not so "strip mallish" I really liked the "Northlakes" neighborhood... near the river and scenic!

Granite Falls is cute as well!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM

4 posts, read 10,432 times
Default conover?

I would look at Lecho Park subdivision in Conover - very nice, overall. Convenient to mostly everything, there is now an entrance to 40 about 5 minutes max. Are you looking to be able to walk to places? Hickory/Conover/Newton are not that conducive to walking places. But that seems to be most of North Carolina, unless you move to a city-like setting. I presently have a place in Newton, but am not sure about resale, overall, in the area. It seems to be pretty flat, of course, the real estate market as I am sure you know better than most being in FL, is not that great anywhere...

Old 07-29-2009, 08:18 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I lived in Hickory for about two years. The crime rate is so low it is hardly worth mentioning. The nicer sections of Hickory is the NW and Mountainview. Just outside Hickory you have Bethlehem and about twenty miles north Taylorsville, both very nice communities. Something to consider is taxes. If you live in Hickory you will pay a higher tax rate. In some cases living just outside Hickory may cut your taxes in half. Hickory has good shopping and medical care. One of the best vets I ever had was at Viewmont Animal Hosp. Anything you can't find in or around Hickory you can easily find in Charlotte.
People that I met that really like Hickory are those who join a church and there are lots of churches in Hickory.
Don

Old 08-01-2009, 08:13 PM

148 posts, read 584,949 times
I really like the Mountain View area, and some of the areas with older homes near downtown. One thing that will help is look at aerial photos, like on Google maps. A lot of the more run-down areas are located near old industrial buildings and things, and these are easy to spot on the maps. The street numbering system in Hickory is pretty confusing, so the maps help in that area as well. Newton & Conover are sort of mixed - some nicer areas, some run down - same deal with older factories and things in certain areas. The best advice I'd have would be to check out the areas you are considering before you buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina