Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,613 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am contemplating a move from Milwaukee WI to the Hickory NC area. I would be taking a promotion with my company so no worries about jobs.
I have school age boys and need to make sure there is quality schools close by.
Also looking for sports leagues for them (baseball, football and basketball) and lots of activities.

I would be willing to drive about 30 mins for a commute to work.
Any suggestions for areas to look at?
Ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,537,420 times
Most of the C-D discussions on Hickory are in the Western NC sub-forum. You might want to do a search there for previous threads.

Some of the nicest, newer developments are on Lake Hickory. Don't know your budget, but there's also Rock Barn Golf Club, near Conover, east of Hickory. I love older homes, and there are some beautiful homes bordering downtown Hickory.

My husband is from Hickory and we frequently visit his grown daughter who still lives there, but I've never lived there myself. Hopefully someone else will provide info on schools and sports leagues in the area.

Did a quick google search and found Youth Activities info on the Hickory Parks & Recreation web site.

Last edited by roadpony; 09-27-2013 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: added youth activities link

Old 09-29-2013, 11:14 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,465,792 times
Taylorsville is where we live...we are northeners and were accepted here. Great schools and park. Lots of rec sports. Taxes and homes less than hickory... its a small town w all amenities...great library..banks doctors.. and festivals. It takes me 20 Mins to get to mall in hickory

Old 09-30-2013, 06:33 PM

503 posts, read 927,462 times
Hwy 321 north of Hickory is a grievous commute.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:57 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
I would look at the county school system and thus, communities that feed into the county school system.

Catawba County Schools

My top recommendation would be to settle into a community that feeds into Fred T. Foard High School.

Any good realtor will be able to define what subdivisions and communities will mean attendance at Foard. I believe those communities would include: Startown, Blackburn, Banoak, Mtn. View and possibly some other communities.

That doesn't mean the other county high school are substandard. You might prefer a community that would be in the St. Stephens school district, which would also be a fine choice.

You can read about the programs and scores for all the schools in the area and decide for yourself which ones may best suit your family. I just happen to be a bit more familiar with the Foard district than the others.

Sports are integrated with the schools in NC . . . but there will also be other leagues -- for ex: Hickory Post 48 Baseball: https://www.facebook.com/hickorypost48baseball

List of YMCAs in the county:

Locations « YMCA of Catawba Valley

I am personally not particularly impressed with Hickory High School, for many reasons (some social, some related to drugs/violence) but I am sure there are many who would take me to task for saying that! There are some fine elementary schools in Hickory, though.

All just my opinion! I have not lived in Hickory in many years but I do have family and friends who are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina