Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:32 PM

32 posts, read 72,729 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 3 (husband, wife and 2-year old son) who are considering a move to Western NC and we need help figuring out where to consider --there are so many little towns that we've seen mentioned. A few considerations:

1. Wife works in the public schools, son will eventually be going to school --so a good school district would be nice (unfortunately, yes, we know what the teacher salaries are like!);

2. Availability of outdoor retail stores (e.g., camping, climbing, backpacking equipment) nearby, as well as a community interested in nature and the outdoors;

3. Relatively low cost of living, but without sacrificing decent schools and availability of medical services. We're not overly into nightlife, so smaller towns/rural areas are fine with us.

We're looking at renting at first and possibly buying if we like where we've landed. Rent $800-1000 would be great (less would be even better!). We're not looking at moving until next summer (2010) but want to start doig our research now. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,614 times
We just moved to Brevard NC last year and love it. My wife and I are both teachers here and have kids in the systems...great schools. Outdoor activities abound...we both ride mtn/ road a bunch, spend hours at the river, fly fish, hike, kids are on a climbing team...all available in your back door. BIKE magazine just listed Brevard in their top secret spots to ride in the US. The town is only around 8,000 and the county has around 16,000 (I think!), lively downtown with coffee shops, awesome toy store, outdoor shops etc. The old paper mill in town is being torn down and turned into a live-work-play development. Asheville is only 40 minutes away too if you need anything up there.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the advice, allezsprad! The only towns in the area we've ever really heard much about are Asheville and Boone. Brevard sounds great!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aep73 View Post
Thanks for the advice, allezsprad! The only towns in the area we've ever really heard much about are Asheville and Boone. Brevard sounds great!
Brevard is a gem - and schools are some of the best in that part of the state. It's just a beautiful little area

Old 07-11-2009, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 18,302 times
aep75 .... Just an FYI from a house with a teacher to another... North Carolina is going through some serious budget issues this year. They have cut many teachers. Buncombe County were my husband works is cutting nearly 100 school system positions. Primarily teachers, teachers assitants and just yesterday 32 technology positions. Might be really tough to get a position as I assume they will be trying to hire back teachers that have been in the system first. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. WNC is a great place to live. I would not choose anywhere else.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Thanks for your honesty, avllisa. That's a lot of professionals out of work! I do have some concerns about moving to NC exactly for that reason --there seems to be not a lot of support for PK-12 education in NC. Very sad. It's a lovely place otherwise.

I am fortunate in that I'm in special education in an area that very few people have certification to do and have actually seen posted openings in WNC for next school year, both through districts and through private staffing agencies. I'd be waiting for school year 2010-2011, though. Maybe they'll get their act together or the economy will improve by then? I hope ...

Old 07-13-2009, 07:44 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,608 times
Not that this was a ploy or anything but... I suspect that the budget crunch felt now regarding the public schools will serve the current governor/administration well going forward. They are indeed pro education but are feeling the crunch which may only be rectified by tax increases. The tax increases are an easier sell to the public when they see it affecting the schools. I would anticipate tax increases over the next year or so with much going back to the schools.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:21 AM

692 posts, read 1,707,429 times
I currently live in Swannanoa (midway between Asheville and Black Mountain). Possible moving to SW Wyoming and will need to rent our townhome. Haven't secured the position in Wyoming yet, but have been thru 2 interviews so it looks promising.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 PM

12 posts, read 36,633 times
Not sure where you are moving from, but if you are from the northeast or midwest, be prepared to be VERY disappointed in the public schools!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:47 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,807 times
+1 for Brevard. Ive lived here all my life and Ive got to see the place grow and change, some of it for the better, some of it not. But it's a quiet town with friendly people. But keep in mind, even during the recession, rent and land/houses are still relatively high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina