Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 05:05 PM

50 posts, read 113,560 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be visiting the Asheville/knoxville area the week of June 22nd. I would like to plan a white water rafting trip. There seem to be a lot of outfitters in the area. Does anyone have suggestions for the best trip/river.. Maybe 3-4 class rapids

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:06 PM

451 posts, read 1,567,030 times
In this months June,"Our State North Carolina" magazine, it states that in 2006, "Good Morning America" named the NOC ( Nantahala Outdoor Center)the #1 Vacation with a Splash. In Nov. 2007, National Geographic Adventure named it "Best Outfitters on Earth" in the river and sea category. One of the best vacations my family had was a week spent in the area.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:42 PM

496 posts, read 1,056,538 times
Nantahala Catbirds right its great if you enjoy rafting I was raised in that area It wasn't very popular when I was young but today its a famous place now

Old 06-06-2009, 11:02 AM

107 posts, read 196,614 times
If you're looking for class III & IV rapids...don't waste your time with the class II Nantahala rapids...head to the Ocoee...the water is MUCH warmer and you'll have a much more fun time IMHO.

Here are some links

Ocoee River whitewater rafting in Ocoee, Tennessee

Wildwater Ltd. Rafting- Ocoee River Rafting- Ducktown, Tennessee

Ocoee River Rafting, Ocoee River Lodging - Tennessee Whitewater Rafting and Log Cabin Rental

Old 06-06-2009, 04:34 PM

451 posts, read 1,567,030 times
Coxe is right about the Ocoee River. It is so much fun, however, NOC goes down different rivers and not just the Nantahala.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:17 AM

139 posts, read 471,205 times
Nantahala or Nolichucky in TN.

I used to work at nantahala outdoor center, they'll fix you up.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:21 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,925,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflopper View Post
Hello,

I will be visiting the Asheville/knoxville area the week of June 22nd. I would like to plan a white water rafting trip. There seem to be a lot of outfitters in the area. Does anyone have suggestions for the best trip/river.. Maybe 3-4 class rapids

Thanks
Agree about the Ocoee . . . do the all-day upper and middle trip for the most adventure (class IV, III). The Ocoee Adventure Center is excellent:

Ocoee River, whitewater rafting with Ocoee Adventure Center in Tennessee. Ocoee River at its best! - Ocoee Adventure Center

Old 06-08-2009, 12:54 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,925,447 times
Default Logistics

One other thing to consider is logistics . . . if you're coming from the Asheville area to run the Ocoee, then NOC is also an excellent choice:

Whitewater Rafting on the Ocoee, Chattooga, Nantahala, Pigeon, French Broad, Nolichucky, Cheoah, New and Gauley Rivers - Whitewater rafting on the Nantahala, Ocoee, Chattooga, Pigeon, French Broad, Nolichucky, Cheoah, New and Gauley Rivers with NOC

On the other hand, if you're staying west of NOC or coming from Knoxville, it will probably be easier to go with one of the local outfitters like OAC, since you'd be driving out of your way to get to NOC.

The Chattooga River (section IV) is another option to consider.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:01 PM

415 posts, read 1,152,120 times
I went with French Broad Rafting Expeditions this past weekend. Great time - we did the 9 mile run, probably 4 Class III and 2 Class IV. Stopped along the way for a cookout. The guides were great and lots of fun.

Really nice time, and the river is beautiful.

Whitewater Rafting, Float Trips and Rentals in Asheville North Carolina (NC) and Hot Springs North Carolina (NC) on the French Broad River
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina