Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:35 AM

35 posts, read 180,445 times

Advertisements

We want to move from Chicago suburbs to the Asheville area in about 10 years, and build a vacation home we can use in the meantime. We visited Lake Lure last fall, and it was beautiful, but I wondered if the people who live there could tell me, one, is the road running around the lake safe for biking and running? It looked narrow, with a lot of blind curves. Second, can you get in and out of town on summer weekends, or is it wall-to-wall traffic that creeps? Is there anything else we should know about living there? We love outdoor sports, dogs, horses, etc. and we want to live by a lake. If we're still working at all, we'll be freelancing as we are now, with out-of-state clients, so local employment isn't an issue.

We're also interested in Lake Adger, though we have not seen it. Does anyone on this forum live there? What the pros and cons vs. Lake Lure (it looks a little more reasonable, from real estate ads I've seen). Is it a quicker drive into Asheville? We would want to go to concerts, shopping, the occasional synagogue service.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 03:17 PM

905 posts, read 3,453,969 times
"We visited Lake Lure last fall, and it was beautiful"..............Yes it is!!!

".....is the road running around the lake safe for biking and running?"
I see bikers quite often and the occasional runner. Depending on where you buy, there are other options for running.

"Second, can you get in and out of town on summer weekends, or is it wall-to-wall traffic that creeps?"
Weekends can be pretty crowded around here during the season. If I have running around to do I usually try to be home before Noon or leave after 5pm. Lots of day trippers come here as it is an easy drive from several larger cities in NC & SC. Loads of motorcycles! Keep that in mind when you look at lake property that is on or near Hwy 64/74. Some of the motorcycles can be pretty loud.

"Is there anything else we should know about living there?" We do have a grocery store and a couple Mom 'N Pops hardware stores. Almost anything else requires a trip to "town" and depending on where you live that would be either Rutherfordton or Hendersonville. Apprx 20 miles one way.

"We love outdoor sports, dogs, horses, etc. and we want to live by a lake." There are several nice hiking options close to Lake Lure. In the Spring is "Lure of the Dragons" a Dragon boat race.
In the fall is the Olympiad, a multi sport mini Olympic event. Just down the road a little bit is Tryon with a pretty big horse community.

"We're also interested in Lake Adger". Lake Adger is nice, however there are horsepower limits on boats. Don't plan on water skiing on Lake Adger. Most of the homes on Adger are about 12 years old or newer. It is further from Asheville than Lake Lure. I am not too sure but I believe Adger has more retirees.

I have owned a home here for 6 years and lived here full time for 2. I still love it!

Good luck with your search. There are some pretty good deals right now on the Lake if you are currently in the market!

Lure of the Dragons, Dragon Boat Racing to Benefit Five Childrens Charities in Rutherford, Henderson, Polk, and Buncombe Counties
CRE Loaded 6 - Hickory Nut Gorge Olympiad
Hickory Nut Gorge, in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina
Did you see the city-data pages on Lake Lure, lots of stats there:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Lake-Lure-North-Carolina.html

Old 04-19-2009, 06:16 PM

35 posts, read 180,445 times
Thank you so much for the great information. I don't care about water-skiing; tend to prefer old houses to new, but we may build anyway. I'm glad you're living in a place you love -- hope too many more don't move in and overcrowd your area. Do you know anything about the developments at Lake Lure -- like Firefly Cove, Rumbling Bald, Blue Heron Point, etc.? I'm not really looking for that type of place, but wondered what the economy has done to them, especially the very high end.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:57 PM

905 posts, read 3,453,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanstonGirl View Post
Do you know anything about the developments at Lake Lure -- like Firefly Cove, Rumbling Bald, Blue Heron Point, etc.? I'm not really looking for that type of place, but wondered what the economy has done to them, especially the very high end.
Firefly Cove seems to be doing pretty well. The condo's are finished and several houses have been built. Rumbling Bald seems to be holding its own. It has been around for years and is pretty well established. I was there last Friday afternoon and it was hopping. I was speaking with a realtor Sunday and she said they "finally" found water at Blue Heron. To the best of my knowledge no homes have been built there yet. Still no homes at Cliffside and The Falls in Chimney Rock. A couple of lots at the Falls has gone into foreclosure. Not sure if they are resales or original lots. The proposed development of The Boulders on the mountain opposite Chimney Rock State Park is now bank owned and it is rumored either Chimney Rock State Park or a land conservancy is trying to buy it. The Highlands has about 5 homes now and they are about ready to debut the next phase of that project.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:10 PM

33 posts, read 132,056 times
An update. Firefly Cove is still building out, and they're hosting a Dirty Dancing weekend in Septembers. Blue Heron had water and sewer vs. septic tanks from day one and they've turned them over to the Town. Grey Rock was the development that couldn't find water and went to foreclosure and now the conservation groups have bought multiple acres to expand the state park holdings. Cliffside, The Falls, The Boulders and Highlands have gone into hibernation, waiting for the economy to turn around.
There are lots of places for rent at reasonable prices if you want to see for yourself.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 PM

334 posts, read 625,801 times
I know there is a leak in the damn but that can't be the only reason this development is such a dissmal epic fail., so, whats up peeps??? whats the REAL DEAL about lake adger and why is no one willing to talk about it? WE almost bought here twice between 2007 and 2oo10. WE are gearing up to begin our final search in the area again... and you can't get anyone to talk about it... rumbling bald is ok and it seems like things in the entire area are picking up and yet Lake adger is still a big fat nothing... so who knows the truth???

Old 03-13-2014, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,651 times
I'd like to start this conversation again as we are interested in Lake Adger and also Lake Lure. Been watching property at Lake adger for 5 years, it's built out some over theyears but still a lot of empty lots there. Does anyone know anything about Lake Adger??

Old 03-13-2014, 03:58 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times
My guess about Lake Adgar is its location. But there are probably technical details and I could be totally wrong.

It is more piedmont than mountain (to me). I really don't consider it in the Asheville area.

If I got past that and I still wanted it, I would say why not Lake Wylie near Charlotte or any other number of lakes.

Bottom line, if I were coming from somewhere else, this area was new to me and I had the money I would not put Lake A top of my list.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 AM

2 posts, read 16,971 times
Lake Adger is a gem, but feel free to buy elsewhere. We love how quiet it is.

Distance from Asheville, yes it is further from Asheville, as the crow flies, but since it is near I 26 it is actually a quicker drive than from Lake Lure.

No water skiing and big motors, because the lake is narrow in places and it is not safe. You can even swim across the lake without risking your life. Great for canoeing, kayaking, etc.

Surrounded by mountains on every side, but in the Thermal Belt so you can swim more months out of the year.

"underdeveloped" because it was owned by a power company and timber company until 1997.

Neighbors are not on top of each other and kind and friendly.

Best deal on lake property in the Carolinas in our humble opinion.

By the way, all dams leak, even Hoover.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 16,971 times
We live in Charlotte and have taken years to explore a number of lakes around the region, including Lake Lure, Lake Wylie, Lake Norman, and Lake Adger. Lake Lure is a pretty lake, but we found that the lots on the actual water were small and prohibitively expensive. Lake Wylie and Lake Norman are definitely piedmont, not mountain lakes, and are very busy, highly trafficked. Neither of these lakes had the peaceful vibe of a getaway or a mountain feel.

We settled on Lake Adger because although it is in the foothills, it does have a mountain feel, and is in close proximity to the small and charming towns of Tryon, Landrum, and Saluda. It is an easy 50 minute drive from Lake Adger to Asheville. Most importantly to us, Lake Adger offers much larger lots , more quiet, and more space....(we have 7 acres including a point that we have built a beautiful rustic cottage on) for a more reasonable price than anything to be found on Lake Lure. Because there are no water skis or jet skis, it has attracted a more quiet group of residents who are into kayaking, canoeing, and fishing.

If you are into a more quiet experience where you can have space around you, and feel more connected to nature, I would recommend Lake Adger. I think it is one of the best-kept secrets in North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina