Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 03:49 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglenn3610 View Post
We live in Charlotte and have taken years to explore a number of lakes around the region, including Lake Lure, Lake Wylie, Lake Norman, and Lake Adger. Lake Lure is a pretty lake, but we found that the lots on the actual water were small and prohibitively expensive. Lake Wylie and Lake Norman are definitely piedmont, not mountain lakes, and are very busy, highly trafficked. Neither of these lakes had the peaceful vibe of a getaway or a mountain feel.

We settled on Lake Adger because although it is in the foothills, it does have a mountain feel, and is in close proximity to the small and charming towns of Tryon, Landrum, and Saluda. It is an easy 50 minute drive from Lake Adger to Asheville. Most importantly to us, Lake Adger offers much larger lots , more quiet, and more space....(we have 7 acres including a point that we have built a beautiful rustic cottage on) for a more reasonable price than anything to be found on Lake Lure. Because there are no water skis or jet skis, it has attracted a more quiet group of residents who are into kayaking, canoeing, and fishing.

If you are into a more quiet experience where you can have space around you, and feel more connected to nature, I would recommend Lake Adger. I think it is one of the best-kept secrets in North Carolina.
Can you swim in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 06:54 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,853 times
I was in the area yesterday and took a brief drive through. The roads are very steep in sections, and the tachometer in my car would go over 3000 RPM in first gear to get up some of them. The land has very much of an "...at the base of the mountains..." feel, even if the actual elevation isn't all that high.

I'm not generally afraid of hills, but I started thinking about how quickly you could wear out the transmission of a typical economy car driving in this subdivision daily. Maybe part of the reason so many lots have remained for sale, is not just the gradual economic recovery - but that it's just a little too much terrain for the average retiree to contemplate. Especially relocators from Florida or people who lived in suburbia all their lives.

As mentioned earlier, it would appeal to a select group of folks that want large lots and quiet, and accept some inconvenience.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,258 times
Did you ever find out any news about Lake Adger. We are also looking in that area and wondered the same thing (why the lots are not selling). I was able to find a few articles about the dam from 2010 and the selling of the development. Anyone have any other forboding information??

Old 06-27-2014, 09:29 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
As an FYI for those hunting for lake properties the Lake James area near Marion is a terrific place to check out as well. Lake James NC I Lake James Real Estate I North Carolina Mountain Homes I NC Mountain Property

Old 06-30-2014, 02:26 PM

334 posts, read 625,751 times
one of the reasons it's such a secret, is a. the price of those lots for NO services is ridiculous IMHO, also, no, all damns do not leak. and if and when they do, they are fixed. second, why do the agents refuse to really answer the questions about the damn, the water quality, when and why there is an ongoing argument about who is liable to fix the damn... all damn s leak, really? You bought that huh?
we have looked here and all but begged for answers and got nothing. except the same lots offered at different prices, on the same week , depending on if you spoke to the younger guy, of the old guy from LA. also, the developer is a long time resident of the area and other realtors will tell you the guy is a catch as catch can kinda guy. nothing about that place feels on the up and up to me, not one of the 3 times we took a good run at it, wanted to feel good about the place so badly , you have no idea, and then the guys drowned because they got caught on debris in the lake that shouldn't have been there in the first place ( perhaps the real reason why the lake is so green), at least that's what was in the Polk county paper before it disappeared off the internet.
I would love to be proved wrong about Lake Adger because the location is perfect, but we were just up there nosing around and talking to locales this past week and the more things change the more they stay the same...
I really can't confirm or deny anything about Lake Adger except that it exists... and that in it's self is alarming IMHO.
lake whylie and the other lakes on the sc GA boarder are nuclear power plants. no thanks. there is a nice place called Rumbling Bald, that would give you lake acess, but there is no doctor in Lake lure, again and you are a good 20 min away from emergency help, they need to fix that IMHO. What about Jocose in SC? or lake James?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina