Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:08 PM

67 posts, read 218,849 times

Advertisements

The only time we have to visit the Mountians of NC are Monday and Tuesday of next week. We were going to try and drive to Boone area on Monday, visit, stay the night, and come back on Tuesday. I would hate to have missed the falls colors on my first trip West. Does anyone know if its past due for some leaf peeping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 03:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidorelo07 View Post
The only time we have to visit the Mountians of NC are Monday and Tuesday of next week. We were going to try and drive to Boone area on Monday, visit, stay the night, and come back on Tuesday. I would hate to have missed the falls colors on my first trip West. Does anyone know if its past due for some leaf peeping?
WELL...problem is the leaves are all covered with snow at the moment in the Boone area, sorry! Where were you planning to travel to Boone from? I can make some other suggestions for you

Old 10-29-2008, 03:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
look into the Chimney Rock area

Old 10-29-2008, 03:29 PM

We were going to leave Monday, 11/3 from Wake Forest. Do you think there will still be snow then?

Old 10-29-2008, 03:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidorelo07 View Post
We were going to leave Monday, 11/3 from Wake Forest. Do you think there will still be snow then?
The snow will most likely be gone by then, but the frost makes the leaves fall faster so there will be less color on all the trees. What you want to do instead is head toward Chimney Rock and Lake Lure. The elevation is lower there and there has been no snow. The colors are just now getting pretty this week at that elevation. Hopefully the cold hasn't taken too many off the trees yet. It's a BEAUTIFUL area you really will enjoy - especially if you go to the top of Chimney Rock for the long range views

Old 10-29-2008, 03:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The snow will most likely be gone by then, but the frost makes the leaves fall faster so there will be less color on all the trees. What you want to do instead is head toward Chimney Rock and Lake Lure. The elevation is lower there and there has been no snow. The colors are just now getting pretty this week at that elevation. Hopefully the cold hasn't taken too many off the trees yet. It's a BEAUTIFUL area you really will enjoy - especially if you go to the top of Chimney Rock for the long range views
If you go to the top you will know if you are in shape.
Bring a bottle of water you may get dehydrated and I would recommend jogging this week to warm up your calve muscles .
It a beautiful mountain a little steep in price to view it and I would not recommend taking kids who are not a teenager it to grueling for the younger ones

Old 10-29-2008, 05:43 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
The colors in my area, (elevation 2,200 feet) south of Asheville are good this fall, but not spectacular compared to other years. The higher the elevation, the earlier peak color is reached. The City of Boone is around 3,300 feet, but has higher surrounding mountains up to almost 6,000 feet.

Highest Peaks by County - http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/c...gh_points.html

http://www.grandfather.com/fall_color/fall_color_report.php (broken link)

http://www.foliagenetwork.net/images...008_lc_big.gif

Last edited by mm34b; 10-29-2008 at 05:54 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 PM

I have a 8 yr old and 5 yr old boys. The 8 yr old has already climbed a few mountains in NH, but the 5 yr old will be the challenge. So, the suggestion is to go to Chimney Rock instead of Boone to see more of the fall colors? If we decided to do that, we will probably go into Ashville and stay the night. I guess we could also drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway to ZBoone ans then back to Wake Forest to complete the trip. Anything eles that we should consider on this quick trip?

Really appreciate the feedback. Now we need to find a place to stay. Cabins?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:11 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
All ages can enjoy Chimney Rock State Park. The established trails vary from easy strolls to strenuous hikes. Take you pick.

Blue Ridge Parkway Road Closures - http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Old 10-29-2008, 06:14 PM

653 posts, read 2,706,105 times
Most of the leaves have been blown away in Boone. We've been having 40 mph + wind gusts for the past few days. Head for the lower elevations. Chimney Rock is a good pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina