Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 10:07 PM

61 posts, read 225,834 times

Advertisements

Could some people who live in or spend their summers in Buncombe County please tell me what the air quality feels like in the summer? I'm referring to the smog issues from coal operations in neighboring states.

Does it affect your breathing or the way you feel or anything or is it just something you are vaguely aware of but doesn't bother you at all?

Do you get sufficient summer sun or does summer smog block it out?

Also, what does the air in general feel like in the summer? Is it close or do you generally get some nice breezes?

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,077,092 times
Asheville Air Quality (http://www.wncairquality.org/Air%20Quality/asheville_aqi.htm - broken link)

Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Asheville Air Quality (http://www.wncairquality.org/Air%20Quality/asheville_aqi.htm - broken link)
Thanks mm34b - I really appreciate the link and I can see it is a matter of relativity. Still hoping I'll hear from someone who will describe it on a personal level.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 AM

16,292 posts, read 28,647,041 times
Well statistics are just that statistics, and really don't answer your question.

The pollution we have here, and a great deal of it is not ours, but comes from other states, and with a special portion complements of the TVA, who as a government agency which arrogantly refused to do anything to clean up their act for decades.

It is not the brown soup that you will see over cities like LA, but has a very hazy appearance, which at it's worse can block the view of the mountains completely. Of course haze is a normal and natural condition, caused by all the trees, thus the name of the mountians in WNC, "The Smokey Mountains"

The recommendation is that people with breathing problems not exercise, etc, but I can't tell any difference on my daily walks.

It is no where near enough to block sunlight, it is very bright and sunny, yet distant views are very diminished at the moment.

Breezes, today yes, but it can also be quite calm at times.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well statistics are just that statistics, and really don't answer your question.

The pollution we have here, and a great deal of it is not ours, but comes from other states, and with a special portion complements of the TVA, who as a government agency which arrogantly refused to do anything to clean up their act for decades.

It is not the brown soup that you will see over cities like LA, but has a very hazy appearance, which at it's worse can block the view of the mountains completely. Of course haze is a normal and natural condition, caused by all the trees, thus the name of the mountians in WNC, "The Smokey Mountains"

The recommendation is that people with breathing problems not exercise, etc, but I can't tell any difference on my daily walks.

It is no where near enough to block sunlight, it is very bright and sunny, yet distant views are very diminished at the moment.

Breezes, today yes, but it can also be quite calm at times.
Thank you! That helps a lot.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:43 PM

189 posts, read 450,266 times
I thought Asheville looked very clear, especially compared to Atlanta. However, visibility is said to be 7 miles, compared to 20 miles that it used to be.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Air quality unhealthy at high elevations | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Old 08-04-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesroses View Post
I thought Asheville looked very clear, especially compared to Atlanta. However, visibility is said to be 7 miles, compared to 20 miles that it used to be.
Your location is listed as Texas, you got good eyes.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:11 PM

189 posts, read 450,266 times
LOL, Asheville Native, don't you know that

The eyes of Texas are upon you
All the live long days
And you cannot get away.

Do not think you can escape them
From night till early in the morn
Till Gabriel blows his horn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina