Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 04:57 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times

Advertisements

I like Black Mountain and Hendersonville. They are both good choices. There is also Lake Junaluska by Waynesville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 09:11 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I like Black Mountain and Hendersonville. They are both good choices. There is also Lake Junaluska by Waynesville.
Hi Becky, great to see you back on the forum!

Old 04-20-2022, 03:18 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Even though it's been many years since we sold our little vacation home in Asheville, I totally agree. If I ever had the money to buy up there again I would choose Black Mountain in a heartbeat. Although Hendersonville is nice too.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Hi Becky, great to see you back on the forum!
Thank you! I have been very busy with my new house

Old 04-25-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Even though it's been many years since we sold our little vacation home in Asheville, I totally agree. If I ever had the money to buy up there again I would choose Black Mountain in a heartbeat. Although Hendersonville is nice too.
Agreed

Old 04-28-2022, 06:25 AM

41 posts, read 105,227 times
We live in Highland Lake Village in Flat Rock. It has duplexes and single-family homes on smaller lots. All homes have front porches and there are sidewalks on one side of every street. We have a greenway with a creek, a short trail, and bridges (which my home abuts). It is a lovely place with good neighbors and lots of events. Yesterday a group of us took a nature hike at nearby Holmes National Park and then shared a picnic lunch. We also have street parties, spring and Christmas garden and home tours, and other friendly events. The home prices are going up, but you still might find something in your price range. Unfortunately for buyers, most of the homes are sold by word of mouth, and none these days last very long if listed publicly.

If doing a google street view, be aware a lot of the taping was done on a very dreary day and years ago, so an in-person visit would allow you to see the truly pretty view. There is a newer section called The Farm on larger lots, but the prices are way above $500,000 although originally advertised "starting in the mid 400s". That didn't last long if at all. Luckily Henderson County has a very easy-to-use online property search website so you can do some deeper research if so inclined.

I love this neighborhood and think it is nicer than any I've seen in the area. Plus it's across the street from Highland Lake Resort with the fabulous Seasons restaurant (where a group of us neighbors will eat lunch tomorrow) and vacation rentals, a goat farm, and interesting activities for gardening and education. And The Park at Flat Rock is less than a mile away and our neighborhood was involved in it being created from a former golf course. It's a wonderful place to walk and picnic.

Best of luck on your search for a new home as you've made a good choice to investigate WNC.

Last edited by CarrieLeigh; 04-28-2022 at 07:38 AM..

Old 04-29-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieLeigh View Post
We live in Highland Lake Village in Flat Rock. It has duplexes and single-family homes on smaller lots. All homes have front porches and there are sidewalks on one side of every street. We have a greenway with a creek, a short trail, and bridges (which my home abuts). It is a lovely place with good neighbors and lots of events. Yesterday a group of us took a nature hike at nearby Holmes National Park and then shared a picnic lunch. We also have street parties, spring and Christmas garden and home tours, and other friendly events. The home prices are going up, but you still might find something in your price range. Unfortunately for buyers, most of the homes are sold by word of mouth, and none these days last very long if listed publicly.

If doing a google street view, be aware a lot of the taping was done on a very dreary day and years ago, so an in-person visit would allow you to see the truly pretty view. There is a newer section called The Farm on larger lots, but the prices are way above $500,000 although originally advertised "starting in the mid 400s". That didn't last long if at all. Luckily Henderson County has a very easy-to-use online property search website so you can do some deeper research if so inclined.

I love this neighborhood and think it is nicer than any I've seen in the area. Plus it's across the street from Highland Lake Resort with the fabulous Seasons restaurant (where a group of us neighbors will eat lunch tomorrow) and vacation rentals, a goat farm, and interesting activities for gardening and education. And The Park at Flat Rock is less than a mile away and our neighborhood was involved in it being created from a former golf course. It's a wonderful place to walk and picnic.

Best of luck on your search for a new home as you've made a good choice to investigate WNC.
Sounds like a very nice neighborhood.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:30 AM

11 posts, read 14,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieLeigh View Post

Thanks for the tip CarrieLeigh. We're going to focus on the Hendersonville/Flat Rock and Black Mountain areas. I'm so excited about retiring in a more moderate climate. We're already hitting 100 degrees here in Texas!

Old 05-30-2022, 09:46 AM

11 posts, read 14,990 times
In case anyone else is looking for a smaller home, I found another Asheville builder that specializes in smaller footprints - North Hill Homes. They're currently developing a pocket community in Swannanoa. Really lovely Scandinavian farmhouse styles.

Old 05-30-2022, 02:18 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebeh View Post
In case anyone else is looking for a smaller home, I found another Asheville builder that specializes in smaller footprints - North Hill Homes. They're currently developing a pocket community in Swannanoa. Really lovely Scandinavian farmhouse styles.
What is the price range of these houses? I saw their website, but the prices were not listed. Also, there are only two house left to be sold in this development. The rest are sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina