Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 01:09 PM

43 posts, read 85,164 times

Advertisements

All, would like suggestions as to small towns for retirement in the WNC area to consider and visit.

I currently live near Albuquerque, NM, in a somewhat rural area in low elevation mountains at 7k ft elevation. I’d like an area with more precipitation and varied vegetation than the pinion and juniper that’s typical in my area. I was planning on retiring in Colorado, but the rapidly increasing real estate prices, the worsening drought conditions, etc. have me considering other areas. Additionally, I’d like to be closer to family that lives in the eastern part of the country.

I’m mid-60s and in excellent health, which, of course, can change. I like back country hiking and outdoor activities. Don’t hunt or fish, but enjoy kayaking and canoeing. I’m not religious and am a registered independent. I don’t plan on needing a job after retirement.

I visited Shenandoah National Park a couple of years ago and thought the area was very scenic, but I’d like a more mountainous area so thought I’d visit WNC. I recognize that the mountains in WNC aren’t really comparable to the Rocky Mountains in the west, but there is more water and foliage, which is attractive to me. I’d prefer to purchase a property with 10 acres or more in a quiet, rural area. A small town within a half hour drive that has a local brew pub, grocery store, hardware store, auto parts, gas station, and possibly a family practice doctor and dentist would be ideal. Although I don’t fly much anymore, I’d like to be no more than 2 hr. away from an airport, e.g., Asheville, so that I can fly out and visitors can fly in relatively easily.

Thoughts on towns/areas such as Boone, Bryson City, Brevard, Highlands, etc.? Other suggested areas to visit? I enjoy hiking the many 12k - 14k ft peaks in New Mexico and Colorado, and although these elevations aren’t present in WNC, is it possible to get away from people in the WNC mountains and on trails, or do they get a lot of use? I’m ok with snow and cold temps, so winter weather isn’t much of a factor for me.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 08:06 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,307,298 times
WNC does have beautiful trees and foliage, due primarily to moderate temps. and rainfall. You’ll find that real estate prices here are relatively high. We do have some really nice small towns. Forget Highlands if price is a factor. Boone is not that small and is primarily a college town. Brevard would be my choice, but it may be too big for you. You could check out Bryson City. It is located in a scenic area, and is small. You could also consider Sylva. I would check into east TN. You’ll find that real estate prices are more reasonable there.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:34 AM

46 posts, read 63,866 times
The areas you have mentioned are very popular for both tourists and transplants. You will find traffic and crowds including at the well known camping and hiking trails in these areas. I would look outside the mountains to the foothills. McDowell county is rural and still outside some of the WNC sprawl. Of course, this area is becoming known so you'll want to visit soon. I would consider Old Fort and Marion. There are plenty of outdoor activities and alot less people! 25 miles from Asheville 35 miles from Morganton 100 miles from Charlotte Douglas airport. Morganton has a UNC healthcare hospital while Marion has a new HCA hospital. Check out the Old Fort Roadhouse for locals to fill you in on the trails..I live in Hendersonville and work in Brevard. Have been here 30+ years so recommend outside these areas due to constant influx of visitors. But come see for yourself. Maybe it is what you are looking for....Happy New Year

Old 12-31-2021, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 7,222 times
Personally, I would choose Brevard or Bryson City. Brevard is larger, and is actually in a temperate rainforest, so there's plenty of cloud cover and rain there. Bryson City has more of the small town feel, but still has plenty of funky, cool boutique like shops in its downtown, as Brevard does. Both have tons of recreational/outdoor activity nearby. If you're into hiking and waterfalls, Brevard would be the perfect fit, while Bryson City is near Nantahala National Forest with its world famous whitewater rafting.

Highlands is more secluded, even isolated, but very expensive, and Boone is artsy/funky with a college town feel. It's also colder there than most other towns in WNC due to its high average elevation and more northern latitude.
Also check out Waynesville and Black Mountain. Both are fairly large "small" towns, have lots of shopping, plenty of retirees, but I believe Waynesville would be more conservative.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:55 AM

46 posts, read 63,866 times
Meant to say Old Fort Ride house not Roadhouse. Lol. It is a place to meet up for outdoor activities but also coffee food beer etc..Forgot to mention that Marion has plenty of the retail that you are looking for. Check out Old Fort/ Marion and see that the foothills are still very mountainous .....at least by NC standards! Come see us..you won't want to leave...might be the McDowell county motto. We are considering this area ourselves

Old 01-01-2022, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeDrunk62 View Post
... Morganton has a UNC healthcare hospital while Marion has a new HCA hospital...
Hi, on the subject of hospitals, are any of these or others in the area known to be a Level 1 Trauma hospital? I've performed a cursory search in the past, which results suggested the nearest Level 1 is in Charlotte. I'm curious if there's information available that advises otherwise.

Thank you.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:58 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,055,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P981 View Post
Hi, on the subject of hospitals, are any of these or others in the area known to be a Level 1 Trauma hospital? I've performed a cursory search in the past, which results suggested the nearest Level 1 is in Charlotte. I'm curious if there's information available that advises otherwise.

Thank you.
Have you already found this?

https://info.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/ems/tra...uma_center.pdf

Old 01-02-2022, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 10,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post

First time I've seen this. Thanks for sharing. Confirms Charlotte is the closest Level 1.

Old 01-02-2022, 01:27 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,055,843 times
Depending upon where you are in WNC, Baptist hospital could be closer.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:25 AM

423 posts, read 899,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P981 View Post

Thank you.
Depending on where you are in WNC you might be closer to Spartanburg SC or Greenville SC than Charlotte NC. Hendersonville is 35 miles from Greenville and 50 miles from Spartanburg, whereas it’s 100 miles to Charlotte NC. You might also look at Tryon NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina