Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 06:43 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeDrunk62 View Post
Yep. Mills river used to be very rural and property in family for generations...until they sold the family farm. 280 and old turnpike rd area. Both sides were rolling farmland with cows. Now mcmansions...I'm not trying to argue but provide balance. Also. Proposed apartments coming to narrow 2 lane roads.. North main area..Let's hope the commissions keep listening
Is Mill River the area where they have a brewery? They had a nice outdoor space with a food truck? This was on the outskirts of Hendersonville if I remember correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 07:37 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Is Mill River the area where they have a brewery? They had a nice outdoor space with a food truck? This was on the outskirts of Hendersonville if I remember correctly.

Sierra Nevada has a Mills River address. It is near the Asheville airport on the edge of Mills River.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:16 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Snowman, good info. In the west, it's pretty easy to get away from crowds on hikes, back country activities, etc. How likely is that in WNC? Seems like with a larger population in a smaller geographic area, that could be more difficult.

it can be difficult. At least in Brevard where I live, there really isnt much of an offseason anymore. You can go up through the main entrance to Pisgah even during a cold winter weekend, and the lots around the ranger station and near the campground will be full or close to it. Granted, there are still a few places us natives go where you wont see anybody. Id say most WNC towns with local hiking are about the same....overran, but still a couple out of the way places for locals/natives to enjoy. Just gotta get out and explore.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
you might be thinking of either Bold Rock, Burning Blush, or Mills River Brewery. All in Mills River.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:36 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
you might be thinking of either Bold Rock, Burning Blush, or Mills River Brewery. All in Mills River.
Yes, there are several in the area. I assumed he/she was referring to Sierra Nevada since it is the largest and most well known.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Sierra Nevada has a Mills River address. It is near the Asheville airport on the edge of Mills River.
Hmmmmm I thought the name had 'rock' in it. Just perused through Hub's collection of beer glasses from that trip, though, and can't find it. It was a great space. We had great beer everywhere in very friendly and chill places.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I believe it was Bold Rock.....although I don't recall that 2nd floor balcony. When we were there it was supposedly relatively new. They had a food truck outside and a fenced off area with picnic tables and a stage. Thank you. It was Bold Rock .....

Old 01-24-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
it can be difficult. At least in Brevard where I live, there really isnt much of an offseason anymore. You can go up through the main entrance to Pisgah even during a cold winter weekend, and the lots around the ranger station and near the campground will be full or close to it. Granted, there are still a few places us natives go where you wont see anybody. Id say most WNC towns with local hiking are about the same....overran, but still a couple out of the way places for locals/natives to enjoy. Just gotta get out and explore.
Is the Hub still there? It was a bike place, bar, with outdoor seating and they also had food trucks.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Is the Hub still there? It was a bike place, bar, with outdoor seating and they also had food trucks.
yes it is, and I refuse to go there lol. I should say it's not bad for a post up spot after a run/hike/ride, but to buy bikes and outdoor related stuff, they'll never get a red cent of my money. I went in once to take an old bike that I was refurbing and needed pads on it. The tech immediately told me how crappy a bike it was and it was junk. The frame was fine and was actually a semi sought after frame from this area(harvey bike) but needed alot of new components which I would have ended up buying there, but didnt after that exchange. The second time, I went in to get a new bike helmet. Wondered around looking at helmets for a few. Quite a few employees looked right through me, didnt ask if I had any questions or needed anything. Immediately left and went to Sycamore Cycles. Within 15 seconds of looking at the helmets, an employee asked me what I was looking for specifically and if I had any questions. Told him I want the best helmet they had up to $100 and he broke down a couple for me explaining pros and cons of both....left with a helmet. I tell everyone that brings up the hub to not do business there. So there's my rant in case you ever need bike stuff....just go to Sycamore which is across the intersection from the Hub.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
yes it is, and I refuse to go there lol. I should say it's not bad for a post up spot after a run/hike/ride, but to buy bikes and outdoor related stuff, they'll never get a red cent of my money. I went in once to take an old bike that I was refurbing and needed pads on it. The tech immediately told me how crappy a bike it was and it was junk. The frame was fine and was actually a semi sought after frame from this area(harvey bike) but needed alot of new components which I would have ended up buying there, but didnt after that exchange. The second time, I went in to get a new bike helmet. Wondered around looking at helmets for a few. Quite a few employees looked right through me, didnt ask if I had any questions or needed anything. Immediately left and went to Sycamore Cycles. Within 15 seconds of looking at the helmets, an employee asked me what I was looking for specifically and if I had any questions. Told him I want the best helmet they had up to $100 and he broke down a couple for me explaining pros and cons of both....left with a helmet. I tell everyone that brings up the hub to not do business there. So there's my rant in case you ever need bike stuff....just go to Sycamore which is across the intersection from the Hub.
We hadn't brought our bikes that trip but Hubs did go in there just to look around briefly and commented on how expensive it was. Oh well, many bike places are. I personally prefer to keep my business local, but if prices are out of whack I sure do look around.
I was more into the outdoor space and the food trucks. We had some mac/cheese thing that was to die for. And there were a ton of people around.....as I would have expected. I like the outdoor/sporty life and vibe of those places. If folks want to spend too much on stuff, their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina