Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 12:54 PM

3,322 posts, read 8,583,441 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find out more info on my Great Grandfather who was born and raised in Haywood County and actually fought in the Civil War at 12 years old. He apparently lived in a small town or crossroads area named "Devils Britches" (Funny name, I know).

Does anyone here know anything about "Devils Britches" or know whether this town/cross roads now goes by a different name? I can't seem to find any info on Devils Britches.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,042,957 times
I checked the Dictionary of Tar Heel Places by William S. Powell, but there's no listing for Devils Britches.

Did you try the Haywood County Genealogical Society?

Haywood County Genealogy Society

Old 05-05-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I checked the Dictionary of Tar Heel Places by William S. Powell, but there's no listing for Devils Britches.

Did you try the Haywood County Genealogical Society?

Haywood County Genealogy Society
Thanks for the link. I've looked there before and can't even find his surname listed on that site. I know for a fact he was born and raised in Haywood County, but I only know about Devils Britches because that is what my dad has told me, so that might not be correct. It might not have even been a cross roads, but maybe a little area in which locals called it by that name? I'll have to do some more research and see what I can come up with. Thanks for looking for me.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,042,957 times
There's also section in or bordering the Great Smoky Mountains National Park called Cataloochee. Within this area is a Devil's Britches Trail. In Haywood County near Pine Tree Gap, NC.

http://www.cataloocheeranch.com/trail-map.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 05-05-2008 at 03:04 PM..

Old 05-05-2008, 03:01 PM

Thank you! That's what my dad was most likely talking about. I'll have to try and get more info from him, but that seems like all he seems to remember. It's funny because I'm only 30, my dad is 65, yet his grandfather was in the Civil War. I believe my Great grandfather was 58 when he had my grandfather and my grandfather was 40 when he had my dad.

Thanks again!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 PM

758 posts, read 2,291,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Thank you! That's what my dad was most likely talking about. I'll have to try and get more info from him, but that seems like all he seems to remember. It's funny because I'm only 30, my dad is 65, yet his grandfather was in the Civil War. I believe my Great grandfather was 58 when he had my grandfather and my grandfather was 40 when he had my dad.

Thanks again!
And when you're our age (sixties), the Civil War happened in our consciousness just yesterday. And the Civil War is the most incredible and incredibly sad thing we have ever known in our entire lives. My eyes well up just thinking about it--my mind goes into denial. After years and years of study, Bill and I still can't even begin to fathom it.....

I don't mean to sidetrack your thread, Waterboy--just to give you a sense of time as we see it.... You are so right.... The Civil War WAS just yesterday and ALL of our great-grandfathers were THERE (gasp). It gives one pause....

Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina