Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:52 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
hey there bibit - while I would love to help you out here...I have yet to make it to this area (although my sista lovesMountains was doing some major convincing on this area the other day...so I am sure it is just a matter of time before we head up there too)!
Ahhh, then for a change and reversal of roles, I get to do the eating and then the recommending to you then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 03:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Okay loves...I'm waiting with baited breath! Thanks to all who provided good reviews. I thought it is really strange that I got more responses here than in the Western NC thread....hmmm, either the local yocals don't eat there, or we are just a bunch of munching foodies here in Charlotte.

OR

we are just really really friendly here, and helpful!!!
Here you go!!!!

You gotta try The Highland Bar and Grill - great food. It is on the Lake Lure side of I40, but not far from I40.

higland grill - black mountain Town Restaurant

Also, if you want a really great fine dining type experience - head to Lake Lure for a dinner at sunset overlooking the lake at The Point of View Restaurant. I really enjoyed the prime rib there
Intro

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:41 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Thanks lovesM. Highland Grill is on top of DH's list because we both love oysters and raw bars, although we have not tried southern oysters yet! We're used to ones from LI Sound...I promise to give a full blown report on our experience. Looks like it is Black Mountain Bistro and Highland Grill...our 2 original choices from throwing the dart!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:44 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
I've eaten at the German place and it wasn't really that great...I'm ashamed to say (German ancestry). My Father's Pizza was very good...good pizza and pasta.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I posted this in the Western NC thread but got only one response. We are going to Black Mountain this Friday and would love to hear your experience (if any) with the following restaurants. DH loves German food so I listed one I could find. Perhaps my friends in Charlotte have dined in a couple and could recommend one from the list or your fave. Or, tell me NOT to go to which one.

Berliner Kindl German Restaurant & Deli
121 Broadway
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Black Mountain Bakery
102 Church Street
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Black Mountain Bistro
203 E. State Street
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Highland Grill & Oyster Bar
10 East Market Street, Cheshire
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Camino's South-Western Grille & Cantina
107 Black Mountain Ave.
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Thai Basil Inc
227 West State Street
Black Mountain, NC 28711

We are planning to eat dinner in Black Mountain on Friday, 18 and Saturday 19 but are looking for good breakfast places as well. We have a 13 and 11 year old, oh and a dog!
OK. Avoid the Black Mountain one. Really. Try the > Old German Schnitzel Haus in Hickory.
Old German Schnitzel Haus (http://www.oldgermanschnitzelhaus.com - broken link)

let me know how you liked it, ok!?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 7,245 times
Hi all! I'm an NC native living almost 20 years in the Black Mountain area. Sorry to bump an old thread with my first post, but I stumbled upon this site looking for a Camino's menu to call in some take out! Here's my two cents, for what it's worth:
Berliner Kindl German Restaurant & Deli:
Ate there once, never went back. It wasn't awful, but not worth a visit if it's your first time in town. I had a Reuben, my gf had a sausage that came highly recommended. Perhaps I am "Americanized" in my taste for German cuisine, but my sandwich was fine, but not exceptional. Her sausage was far from spectacular. That was five years ago, and it is still open, so I may need to give it another try.

Black Mountain Bakery:
It's good for fresh bread if I'm making a nice dinner, but I never plan a lunch around it.

Black Mountain Bistro
All over the MAP! I have had some of the best and some of the most disappointing meals from there! The staff is very friendly, and I have never had bad service. But I would suggest a handful of places to a first time visitor over it, just for the lack of predictability.

Highland Grill & Oyster Bar
Nice restaurant, but for the money, I'd suggest Cellar Door.

Camino's South-Western Grille & Cantina

Very good, but Ole Guacamole's has much better authentic Mexican. Camino's has the best wings in town, though by a mile! Order the Hippy wings, and ask for extra spicy if you like your wings hot. They make all their dressings, etc. fresh and you can really taste the difference.

Thai Basil Inc
Excellent food. I get a #413 with salmon at least weekly. That dish is so good I have yet stray to other menu items since trying it!

Besides those asked about; The Cellar Door is very good for a higher-priced meal (though service has really varied for me), Mac's has the best burger in town and arguably the planet, My Father's Pizza is very solid, Okie Dokie's Smokehouse is outstanding BBQ, and HT Papas has a cheap breakfast (around $4 with coffee) that can hit the spot if you're in the mood for a greasy spoon start to your day. Hope that helps!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 PM

13 posts, read 42,198 times
MY Fathers Pizza is AWESOME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina