Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 19,416 times

Advertisements

Me: Professional with a Master's Degree. $45K/year. 50 y/o. Single. Hobbies: Tennis, Mtn Biking, Vid Games, fitness oriented activities.

Waynesville: Rundown, old, worn out, broken, armpit.

1 Park, 1 City Run for profit fitness center that caters to the geriatric, which makes sense given the single biggest demographic group is old, white, conservative, christian.

Roads: Broken, uneven, potholed. Feels like driving through a war-torn country where constant small arms fire has left the pavement full of grenade and mortar holes. (I am a veteran btw) Sidewalks are filthy and in many cases dangerous because the few sidewalks that do exist are built up against the road with no greenspace buffer.

Shopping: Kmart, walmart, dozens of tourist traps, 2 ingles, a food lion, and a poor person's grocery with frozen food that's never really quite frozen.

Air Quality: Some days it's pretty good. But there is a paper plant about 10 miles east in the valley. Several weeks worth of the year though, the air is heavy and it backs up in the valley, filling Waynesville with the smell of papermill exhaust.

Water Quality: Disgusting. One main creek runs through middle of town, and right behind an industrial manufacturer who I'm sure puts environmental concerns above profit.

Housing: Atrocious. 1920's heating oil two bedroom homes smashed up against each other going for nearly a $1,000/month. The hills are full of 1/2 million dollar mansions for second home rich Floridians or Yankees. In other words, the working poor live in the city while the rich live above us, looking down, shaking their heads. And I would too. But, my point is their rich person second homes unnaturally drive up real estate prices, pushing people like me, a teacher, into lower class lifestyles even though we have middle class credentials (degrees, politeness, teeth).

Recreation: A small, incomplete, sometimes graveled, sometimes muddy "trail" that runs from the 1 park there is to the big christian convention center named after a poor dead Cherokee warrior who walked home all the way from Oklahoma after the trail of tears. Nice irony, jesus freaks. NO BIKE LANES.
You know, cities "advertise" their values by the civic things you see or don't see in a community. This city obviously values good ole boy politics, control by an oligarchy over the entire area. Probably 8 or ten rich whites own the entire place. And they're not interested in a progressive, democratic society. Nope, they want the old ways to come back.

Ambience: Giant crosses on mountain peaks, 2 whole memorials for the Civil War, diesel trucks and the accompanying sulfer dioxide laden exhaust, rebel flags, rebel bumper stickers, south's gonna rise again culture for sure. General hatred towards democracy and liberalism, very conservative, almost bronze age type of people. Nicest buildings in town are the churches, just like in the middle ages.

The People: Well, of course I can't judge everyone. I haven't met them all. And it's my own perspective anyways. But...No blinkers. No one here uses turn signals. They must think it's a communist, atheist conspiracy, or perhaps some type of witchcraft that tells the immediate future. I've lived here 4 years and never heard the following things when dealing with folks: please and thank you, excuse me, I appreciate it, and other sayings that civilized folks in a heightened society say to show civility. I could go on, but that pretty much says it all about this backwoods place.

Summary: If you're old, white, uneducated, christian, want the south to secede again, love noise, pollution, and aren't sure what's more attractive...your cousin or a pig, then this is a place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 02:31 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,401,835 times
I can't fathom continuing to live somewhere that met so few of my needs.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:04 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,829,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I can't fathom continuing to live somewhere that met so few of my needs.
Or that you feel such a deep loathing for.

I live in the town with the paper plant. Well, no I don't, I live up in the mountains above the town with the paper plant. My house is far from $1/2 million, probably half that. I do most of my shopping in Waynesville because Asheville is entirely too crowded and hustle bustle-y to me. 90% of the people I come across in Waynesville are very friendly, say please and thank you and are overall polite. It's a nice little town nestled in the mountains. I am a super liberal and have come across many conservatives, but I have a live and let live attitude, so it doesn't bother me. I knew Haywood County was a red county when I moved here because I did research that before buying a house.

I haven't found the roads to be that bad. I lived in Wake County for 34 years and the roads after a harsh winter were much worse than the roads up here. Mainly because there is so much more traffic there. Some of the drivers stink, but since the population is so much lower, it's no big deal to me.

In the 2 years that we have lived here, my stress level has dropped immensely. As long as I stay away from Asheville.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:38 PM

1,348 posts, read 794,169 times
Whoa, someone has a bee in his bonnet! I can actually enjoy reading a good rant sometimes as I look for the constructive aspects whereas some others will disregard the whole thing.

Whereas, I would not like a place such as you describe I also understand that it's neither right nor realistic to think you can, or should, try to change the entire nature of a place. That's ridiculous. You have to move if it doesn't fit your life.

And yet again, we are reading a diatribe from an "enlightened, tolerant person who believes in diversity" but refuses to practice what they preach.....instead spewing vitriol, judgmentalism and intolerance for whatever they don't like. (Mountain Express newspaper is full of these types).

Teacher (of all things!), it appears to be time to hold up a mirror and do some serious soul-searching.
However, I do concur about the poor manners. It is a myth that the Southern region is exemplary in that behavior.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:54 PM

2,503 posts, read 1,880,651 times
Oh, c'mon, Flippy.....tell us how you really feel.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:43 AM

92 posts, read 75,178 times
You hold onto a lot of anger and prejudice for someone 50 years old. You come across more as a radical college kid posting on Media Matters. There are good people everywhere even including the religious ones who I surmise are happier than you.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:48 PM

9,496 posts, read 5,277,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippytheidiot View Post
Me: Professional with a Master's Degree. $45K/year. 50 y/o. Single. Hobbies: Tennis, Mtn Biking, Vid Games, fitness oriented activities.

1 Park, 1 City Run for profit fitness center that caters to the geriatric, which makes sense given the single biggest demographic group is old, white, conservative, christian.

Roads: Broken, uneven, potholed. Feels like driving through a war-torn country where constant small arms fire has left the pavement full of grenade and mortar holes. (I am a veteran btw) Sidewalks are filthy and in many cases dangerous because the few sidewalks that do exist are built up against the road with no greenspace buffer.

Shopping: Kmart, walmart, dozens of tourist traps, 2 ingles, a food lion, and a poor person's grocery with frozen food that's never really quite frozen.

Air Quality: Some days it's pretty good. But there is a paper plant about 10 miles east in the valley. Several weeks worth of the year though, the air is heavy and it backs up in the valley, filling Waynesville with the smell of papermill exhaust.

Water Quality: Disgusting. One main creek runs through middle of town, and right behind an industrial manufacturer who I'm sure puts environmental concerns above profit.

Housing: Atrocious. 1920's heating oil two bedroom homes smashed up against each other going for nearly a $1,000/month. The hills are full of 1/2 million dollar mansions for second home rich Floridians or Yankees. In other words, the working poor live in the city while the rich live above us, looking down, shaking their heads. And I would too. But, my point is their rich person second homes unnaturally drive up real estate prices, pushing people like me, a teacher, into lower class lifestyles even though we have middle class credentials (degrees, politeness, teeth).

Recreation: A small, incomplete, sometimes graveled, sometimes muddy "trail" that runs from the 1 park there is to the big christian convention center named after a poor dead Cherokee warrior who walked home all the way from Oklahoma after the trail of tears. Nice irony, jesus freaks. NO BIKE LANES.
You know, cities "advertise" their values by the civic things you see or don't see in a community. This city obviously values good ole boy politics, control by an oligarchy over the entire area. Probably 8 or ten rich whites own the entire place. And they're not interested in a progressive, democratic society. Nope, they want the old ways to come back.

Ambience: Giant crosses on mountain peaks, 2 whole memorials for the Civil War, diesel trucks and the accompanying sulfer dioxide laden exhaust, rebel flags, rebel bumper stickers, south's gonna rise again culture for sure. General hatred towards democracy and liberalism, very conservative, almost bronze age type of people. Nicest buildings in town are the churches, just like in the middle ages.

The People: Well, of course I can't judge everyone. I haven't met them all. And it's my own perspective anyways. But...No blinkers. No one here uses turn signals. They must think it's a communist, atheist conspiracy, or perhaps some type of witchcraft that tells the immediate future. I've lived here 4 years and never heard the following things when dealing with folks: please and thank you, excuse me, I appreciate it, and other sayings that civilized folks in a heightened society say to show civility. I could go on, but that pretty much says it all about this backwoods place.

Summary: If you're old, white, uneducated, christian, want the south to secede again, love noise, pollution, and aren't sure what's more attractive...your cousin or a pig, then this is a place for you.
Ah, so much hate and negativity. I think you should move - now. And since I am visiting the area myself soon, I will compare my observations against this vitriol and see how they stack up. And I really hate to say this, but if you are a teacher, I feel sorry for your students. And you almost seem too old to have the millennial teacher's "I know so much more than you" attitude but here it is. I hope you find some happiness.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:54 AM

186 posts, read 284,471 times
Quote:

You will realize from his old posts that Flippy is the type that no matter where he lives, he will NEVER be happy. I live 100 miles away and visit Waynesville about once a month. My opinion? Beautiful mountain setting, great small town feel, folksy down to earth people, nature in your backyard, and so much more. Yes - every town has its own problems, and I agree that "halfbacks" have driven the home prices up too much. But come on, I don't fit any part of the description in his "Summary" and I still love that place to pieces - and I'm sure most locals would feel the same. Maybe Flippy should consider a move to New York or San Francisco?

Old 06-04-2018, 08:50 AM

2,503 posts, read 1,880,651 times
Quote:
Me: Professional with a Master's Degree. $45K/year. 50 y/o. Single.

I'd say that the above-noted conditions, rather than living in Waynesville, are what's responsible for 90% of Flippy's unhappiness and I agree that he'd probably be unhappy anywhere.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:21 AM

376 posts, read 501,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I'd say that the above-noted conditions, rather than living in Waynesville, are what's responsible for 90% of Flippy's unhappiness and I agree that he'd probably be unhappy anywhere.
I was going to mention the same. That one fact stood out far above anything else they said.

Im 25, making the exact SAME money with a Bachelors degree in an even more rural area than Waynesville. Franklin, NC to be exact.

If I were 50 and had a masters and were only making 45k, I too would be frustrated with the world. Realistically, I would expect OP to be around 90-120k by now. 45K sounds like an educators salary, and we do need educators so kudos if OP is in that line of work.

And by the way, I worked in Waynesville for years and never had any of these issues with the place. Its not some large city like OP wants it to be. Ultimate it is a mountain town in rural Western, NC.

The roads are FINE, by the way.... thats a total and complete LIE from OP. Every city has a few less than stellar roads but Waynesville does not stand out to me as having poor roads.

Like what the hell did OP expect? Dont move into rural (or semi rural) Appalachia and expect big city values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina