Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 06:38 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times

Advertisements

One of the benefits of a gated community is that it usually has a community pool. But what about putting in your own in-ground pool at a private residence? Do people in the flatter areas do this? How hard/costly are they to maintain? How hard are they to get rid of if 10 years from now the kids are gone? Just wondering. Plus looking at zillow, some houses with in-ground pools look like they take a longer time to re-sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 07:02 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
I don't think they're a big thing in the mountains. They're pretty cold unless you have a heater.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:32 PM

339 posts, read 319,299 times
often read they can be bad for resale value, for several reasons. ( maintenance, liability, etc. )
Just glancing at those photos I would check out the possible sheet rock issues around the windows and above the fireplace.
My fireplace mention is questionable per the photo ( not real sure about the big shadowy area above it, could just be the lighting in the photo) , but the windows def. have some prior/possibly current leakage issues showing up for sure .
#1 suggestion if remotely interested in that listing ..check the roof too !

Last edited by lastdash; 06-05-2017 at 07:44 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 05:57 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
what photos do you mean? None were posted.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:09 AM

526 posts, read 460,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
One of the benefits of a gated community is that it usually has a community pool. But what about putting in your own in-ground pool at a private residence? Do people in the flatter areas do this? How hard/costly are they to maintain? How hard are they to get rid of if 10 years from now the kids are gone? Just wondering. Plus looking at zillow, some houses with in-ground pools look like they take a longer time to re-sell.
I've lived on the coast as well as in the mountains and the evenings here get colder even on the hot days so the water cools some or just don't stay as warm. Most that i know who have built in pools have heaters for this reason and it can get expensive to run them. The other cost are the same if you are here or on flat land, chlorine, and chemicals along with electric for the pump.
As said above unless you have a big upscale home built ins do seem to lower the value of the home.
We put in a 52" by 24? I think it was and it was the best money ever spent, the kids used it from June till Sept for 8 or nine yrs then they just grew up and out. It was in the western side of our home so it was warm from the sun. After all that I sold it for nearly what I paid for it when they didn't use it anymore. The reason I got it so cheap was someone was selling a home and the new folks didn't want it so I purchased it pretty cheap.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:28 PM

147 posts, read 162,955 times
Hendersonville has a great public swimming pool - Patton Pool - City of Hendersonville, NC

Old 06-09-2017, 12:49 PM

159 posts, read 183,730 times
I have seen an in-ground pool build above a sough-facing slope. The owner put in solar panels that thermosiphoned hot water into the pool without any outside energy source besides the sun. I'm surprised that that's not more common.

Other solar pools use collectors that require a pump to circulate the hot water.

It also surprises me that so few pools use a cover when not in use. That method not only saves the heat stored in the pool but removes the necessity of building a fence for safety/insurance purposes. My father's pool cover could be walked upon by a person of normal weight. The cover not only keeps the water warmer due to it's suppression of evaporative cooling but keeps debris out (when closed).

Old 06-10-2017, 05:50 AM

526 posts, read 460,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherborn View Post
Hendersonville has a great public swimming pool - Patton Pool - City of Hendersonville, NC
I used to take my kids there a few yrs back. Problem was all the dog land mines ya had to walk around, people would tie their dogs to the trees and go into the pool area. Then ya had all the young teens outside the fenced area smoking literally causing a cloud over the area. Oh and yes there was usually a deputy there but he didn't do a thing but talk to the kids smoking.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:36 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
^^^^ If it was like that, it certainly is not anymore. The kids and parents love it. Plus they have adult only swim in the mornings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina