Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:05 PM

161 posts, read 564,444 times

Advertisements

we are thinking of putting in a swimming pool and wonder if it is worth it. we will be calling tomorrow to schedule estimates and see what is involved, but i was wondering if you have any general advice. saltwater or no? fiberglass or cement? slide or no slide? would you buy a home that had a swimming pool? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 03:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,937,963 times
Seems like homes for sale with pools don't cost any more than homes without them.
I think kids would enjoy a community pool if there were other kids at the CP to play with, rather than being committed to the pool in their own back yard.
If the neighborhood or HOA has a pool to use, then I wouldn't put one in.

How many minutes on average does a person use their backyard pool per year.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,241,436 times
When I was house hunting I would take a similar home without a pool than one with. Too much hassle for the benefit (or at least in the NE where you can only use it a few months a year).

Old 04-04-2010, 07:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,286,596 times
Saltwater. Definitely saltwater. It eliminates the "too much of a hassle" argument that prevents some people from buying a house with a pool.

I personally would prefer a house with a pool----even living in the Northeast. A pool is worth it for even the few hot summer months.

Many homes don't have central air conditioning in my area. Sometimes a pool is the only escape from the heat for many residents.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 AM

17,498 posts, read 66,334,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritle View Post
we are thinking of putting in a swimming pool and wonder if it is worth it.
Since you're the one installing- it's a "con" right-off-the-bat (RE agents and appraisers consider pools as $0.00 value. But, they can increase the traffic and diminish the time on the market).
Your payback is enjoying the pool as much as possible. And that includes the startup and the winterizing every year. And of course the usual maintenance stuff. All of that can be minimized by having a service do all the work.

That's your top of the list "pro's" and "con's".

Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,846,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Saltwater. Definitely saltwater. It eliminates the "too much of a hassle" argument that prevents some people from buying a house with a pool.

I personally would prefer a house with a pool----even living in the Northeast. A pool is worth it for even the few hot summer months.

Many homes don't have central air conditioning in my area. Sometimes a pool is the only escape from the heat for many residents.
I agree about the saltwater pool being superior, but it isn't necessarily that much less hassle. A mismanaged saltwater pool can get really expensive really quickly and will stay expensive unless the owner gets his or her stuff together. It's pretty common for people to put in too much salt and corrode out the chlorine generator way before life expectancy or to let the pool go fallow, get out of balance and spend a lot of time and money buffering and killing back algae and critters.

All good points on valuation and sale considerations. Some people will not buy a house without a pool, others will not buy a house with. It just depends on whether or not you see hours and hours of fun and relaxation in the hot summer or hours and hours of labor and expenditure year round.

I think a pool is almost certainly more positive than negative from a future sale perspective, but it's similar to new windows in that you are unlikely to recoup your actual costs.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,704,441 times
I have a good friend with a killer pool. He spent well over 50 grand about 8 years ago. The curved water slide has been turned on once since I have been swimming there. The diving board gets more use, but not that much. He has a propane heater that extends the season, but this dude has money to burn.

I really wouldn't consider a pool in our Ohio climate unless it was inside.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:58 PM

1,984 posts, read 6,899,970 times
We don't have one and are in hot climate. Am considering the portable over the ground stuff from toys R us. I think it would serve the same purpose and you can pack it up and move when the time comes.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:37 AM

124 posts, read 529,783 times
Don't homeowner's insurance rates go up for homes with pools? Also, you have to install safety fencing around the pool to keep it from being an "attractive nuisance" to neighborhood children.

As a parent with two small children, swimming pools scare me to death. Pool drownings happen so quickly and I would be a nervous wreck any time children were in the pool. A pool would eliminate a house from my consideration as a buyer.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:34 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,726,030 times
Had one and won't ever have one again.

Every day I was vacuuming, testing weekly, ph up, ph down, shocking....it was rediculious!
Of course I did have trees around, and ducks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House