Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,498 times

Advertisements

I have young children and I am thinking of getting an under ground swimming pool installed My question is, are the vinyl pools any good. Any feed back please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 09:50 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
FYI to other posters: this is moved from the Los Angeles forum, as I'm assuming climate will make a difference in the answers.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:59 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
An underground pool? Wow, I bet that's expensive!
Just kidding- I'm sure you meant in-ground pool. The debate on gunite vs. vinyl pool. Where do we begin- cost? Or is it soil conditions, maintenence cost, annual cost???
They go on and on.
I wish I could dispell the arguements, but I can't. I have a vinyl liner pool I like it.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:16 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,515 times
Check out this thread from the Austin forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ol-liners.html

I have had two pools in Canada with vinyl liners. There are good and bad points.

Good is easy maintenance. Harder for algae to grow. Lots of different patterns.

Bad is they have to be replaced every 7 - 8 years. Cannot do free form as easy. Can be slippery. They can leak, but are easy for the professionals to patch.

Also, keep dogs with long nails away from them.

Vinyl pools seem more popular up north.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:32 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,425 times
I've had 3 inground pools with vinyl liners. 2 in the northeast- LI/NY and 1 in central Va-did not have any problems with any of them, but we did not live at any of the locations for more than 4 years.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
We have one. It was incredibly cheap compared to fibergalss or concrete. A fraction of the price. You can replace the vinyl many many times before you get near the cost of the other types of lining. Also concrete and fiberglass are extremely expensive to repair and they crack from ground water and other problems. Our dog put some holes in our vinyl liner and i patched them in minutes with a kit that cost about $10. The one downside that I encountered is that the liner cot wrinhles in it when we partially drained the pool the first winter. I am not sure how to get them out. We just live with them, they do nto hurt anything.

Vinyl is far cheaper to instal, easier to maintain, less suceptible to damage from ground water etc. and when they need to be replaced, it can be done for $1000 or less. Look into the price of re-coating concrete with gunnite, or patching cracks. When fiberflass cracks I think that you pretty much have to replace it.

For coldd climates, I do not think that it makes sense to have anything but vinyl. It may be different in hot climates. Vinyl does nto last as long int he hot sun.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:59 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
If you can afford to go with a gunite pool, I would say go for it. We have a vinyl liner and it is a pain to maintain. The liner often gets a hole particularly as the liner gets older. It is not that easy to find holes and not easy to repair when they are down deep under water. I have not noticed any difference in algea growth between a liner pool and a gunite. Of course only you could decide if the cost difference is worth it. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House