Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 PM

234 posts, read 939,497 times

Advertisements

Some great folks here were good enough to answer my earlier question about snow on the BRP, so here is my next question:

I realize that driving the entire length of both roads (Skyline Dr/BRP) at or below the posted speed limits will take me a looong time, and time is always a factor. So, even though I don't want to play the part of the rude, crude tourist, I still have to ask - can you folks weigh in on the best (prettiest, most spectacular) parts of the road, and, conversely, the least desirable parts of the road? I assume that to fit everything in on my first-ever trip, I will have to take parts of the trip on faster roads, and then pop back onto the BRP from time to time to get my fix of nice stuff.

I will probably be driving around the first or second week in May. I already have the phone number to call (thanks to a poster here) for parts of the road that may be closed for any reason.

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 09:45 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
You can't go wrong on any part of the BRP, just be sure you have the time to stop and enjoy it, take the time to really see it and appreciate the beauty. There is so much to see unless you're staying the rest of your life you won't see it all I don't know what part you're going to be driving on, but Mabry Mill is beautiful. Actually it's all beautiful to me. Just relax and have fun.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:48 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJexpat View Post
Some great folks here were good enough to answer my earlier question about snow on the BRP, so here is my next question:

I realize that driving the entire length of both roads (Skyline Dr/BRP) at or below the posted speed limits will take me a looong time, and time is always a factor. So, even though I don't want to play the part of the rude, crude tourist, I still have to ask - can you folks weigh in on the best (prettiest, most spectacular) parts of the road, and, conversely, the least desirable parts of the road? I assume that to fit everything in on my first-ever trip, I will have to take parts of the trip on faster roads, and then pop back onto the BRP from time to time to get my fix of nice stuff.

I will probably be driving around the first or second week in May. I already have the phone number to call (thanks to a poster here) for parts of the road that may be closed for any reason.

Any opinions?
While I personally enjoy the ENTIRE Parkway, I think you are wise to try to only do parts of it if your time is limited. In my opinion, you want to see the parts more in NC than in Virginia. The best views will be at the highest elevations, which happen to be in NC. What direction will you be coming from? I think I remember you said Virginia or Maryland?

If so, in my opinion you want to take I77 down into NC and look to exit onto hwy 89 at exit 100. This road will take you right up to the Parkway. Once you are on it head south. After approximately 15 miles you will begin to see some great views as you approach Doughton Park - there are some nice places to pull off both sides of the road to enjoy the views. There is even a neat old cabin near there (Brinegar Cabin) that you can get out to see, you can't miss the sign to it but this will be around mile marker 240.

Next you will pass the trading post where you can get something to eat (if they are open for the season yet - you would have to check). I would just stay on the Parkway all the way down to the Linville area (mile marker 300 or so) at least. You could get off to see the neat little town of Blowing Rock at around 290. Then once you get back on do not miss the Moses Cone Home and Visitor Center. It is so neat to sit on that front porch and look out at the wonderful view! Next at mile marker 300 you would come to Grandfather Mountain. This is a private mountain with a neat little wild animal habitat, some awesome trails and a cool mile high swinging bridge - worth every penny you will pay to see it. After leaving there you drive across the Linn Cove Viaduct - which is apparently some kind of engineering marvel with great views and a visitor center on the other side with trails. And last but not least for that part of the Parkway you would want to see spectacular Linville Falls at around mp 315.

At that point I would exit the Parkway onto hwy 221 and travel all the way down to I40 to head toward Asheville to find a place to sleep. Or, if time allows (and it may well not) continue on the Parkway to around mp 355 to visit Mt. Mitchell, which at a height of almost 7000 feet is the highest point east of the Mississippi River. If you did make it as far as Mt. Mitchell I believe you would not be able to go beyond it because that section will be closed for some maintenance until later this year. So you would have to get back on the Parkway and head back north a few miles until you got to hwy 80. This is a very cool, windy little road that my kids used to squeal the whole time we road down Your brakes will be smoking a bit when you get to the bottom - but it is such a neat drive! It will take you into the Marion area where you can pick up I40.

WHEW... I'm stopping here until you tell me this is the kind of info you really want!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
I have ridden the Parkway end to end a number of times on a motorcycle and I second what Lovesmountians posted. In Virginia the BRP is a very pleasant beautiful ride but the part I like is from Boone NC south.
I would consider picking it up off of I-77 and, if time permits, do the Virginia portion on the way home.
At mile marker 312 (Hwy 181) there is a feedstore. It has wonderful smoked chicken sandwiches on homemade yeast rolls. It is one of our favorite stops.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 PM

234 posts, read 939,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
WHEW... I'm stopping here until you tell me this is the kind of info you really want!
That is exactly the kind of info that I am looking for, lovesMountains, and I thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with me!

In response to your other question, I will be coming to the area from Pennsylvania. Since I am still in the planning stage, nothing is set in stone at this point, but I assumed that I would be entering Virginia on Interstate 81. My unknowns at this point are just where I would jump off of the interstate and head over to the BRP. I don't have any scheduling problems, but I wanted this trip (my first to WNC) to be sort of an overview, so that I could set a more specific agenda for future trips. But, the more I look, the more I want to see right away! I realize that I have to show some discipline and save something for future trips, but it all looks so nice that I don't know what to do, and that's why I was asking for your input.

What you have already told me is greatly appreciated, and I would love to hear anything else that you - or anyone else here- is willing to share.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
That is exactly the kind of info that I am looking for, lovesMountains, and I thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with me!

In response to your other question, I will be coming to the area from Pennsylvania. Since I am still in the planning stage, nothing is set in stone at this point, but I assumed that I would be entering Virginia on Interstate 81. My unknowns at this point are just where I would jump off of the interstate and head over to the BRP. I don't have any scheduling problems, but I wanted this trip (my first to WNC) to be sort of an overview, so that I could set a more specific agenda for future trips. But, the more I look, the more I want to see right away! I realize that I have to show some discipline and save something for future trips, but it all looks so nice that I don't know what to do, and that's why I was asking for your input.

What you have already told me is greatly appreciated, and I would love to hear anything else that you - or anyone else here- is willing to share.

Okay, great! Now that I know where you are coming from I'll add to my other post

Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Since you are coming from PA on I81 you would just want to pick up I77 south to head into NC. The list of things I gave you to do already is really too much to cram into one day unless you could start pretty much on the Parkway first thing one morning. Perhaps you would like to consider staying somewhere near the Virginia/NC border overnight around Fancy Gap so that you could do that? I know of these great little cabins right off the Interstate in Fancy Gap you might want to consider:

Laurel Bluff Cabins - A Romantic Getaway in the Blue Ridge Mountains

These are located at exit 8, which is the same exit you take to get on the Parkway while still in Virginia - so you could really just start your Parkway excursion from there and go all the way toward Asheville. Does any of this appeal to you, or did you have other ideas about where you would stop?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:40 PM

If you got on the Parkway at Fancy Gap, Virginia and started early in the day, you would have plenty of time to see the things along the way. From that point one of the first things you would be able to visit is the beautiful new Blue Ridge Music Center at mile post 213 - if it has opened for the season.

A few miles after you pass it you would come to where hwy. 89 intersects the Parkway - which is the way up to the Parkway my directions yesterday gave you. You would still have to travel to approximately 240 before you started seeing some spectacular views, so I do have another alternative route to suggest if you'd rather get on the Parkway closer to some big mountain views...

Alternative 3: Take I77 south into North Carolina until you can exit onto hwy 421 heading west at exit 73. This nice 4 laned road will take you all the way to a Parkway entrance nearer to Blowing Rock. You could start your Parkway adventure there and have more things to see sooner

Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
I realize that I have to show some discipline and save something for future trips
Oh, I wouldn't worry about

20 years we've been exploring the parkway; sometimes skipping a year but always trying to get at least one trip in. The last 10 have been with motorcycles - the best way to see the road, IMO At first it's all about the road and the views, then it becomes more about the experiences you gain on the Parkway. We now pay attention to who else shares the road with us. Stopping to talk to the rangers and docents at the waysides and exhibits is fun, as is seeing someone from way out-of-state (or your home state if you're a transplant) and asking them how they are enjoying the road - maybe even pointing out a few things for them to see that aren't generally noted in the tour guides. One year we joined a circle of people talking to this dude who was doing the whole route on a bicycle. He was laden with packs, a tent, and sleeping bag. We learned that the Parkway wasn't the only thing on his itinerary, he was using the road to head south on a x-country ride.

A few tips of my own to add to the good ones already posted:
*take a variety of clothes to deal with diverse weather. even in the summer, you'll find yourself needing a sweater at the higher elevations. don't be surprised to find fog across the road, especially in the morning. pop-up storms are common, but don't let one down burst make you get off the road. 10 miles farther down you'll probably run into sunshine

*don't hesitate to talk to the rangers, docents, or old ladies manning the cash registers at the tourist stops. they can be a wealth of interesting stories, tips, and information. if there's a donation jar to collect funds for Parkway use, please drop in a dollar or two. budget cuts have affected services; so much of what keeps the road going is done thru volunteering; the public shouldn't shirk at helping out a little.

*even with the tips of good places to stop for food, take drinks and snackies. some views are awesome enough that you just want to sit on the stone wall, stretch your legs out and take a long break.

*There's no gas on the Parkway. At a max speed of 45mph (slower in some spots where there are popular stops - like the Moses Cone Mansion) your tank will go farther, but keep in mind that if you need gas, you'll have to find someplace to drop off. And *sigh* don't be surprised at some of the jerk drivers and idiot bikers you'll encounter. Some people get on the road with the intention of doing large chunks at once, hit a dull spot, and decide they just have to do 60 to get to the next crossing and get off. The bikers are even more aggravating; this rider admits. On weekends you'll find many of the cruisers in packs; some of the sports bikers alone and with the goal of doing 80 miles of road in little more than an hour. Those are the ones who will startle you by all of sudden appearing in your rear view mirror and then scaring you as they whine past, usually on a blind curve. If you have one of these annoying encounters, it's best to just look for a wayside or overlook, signal that you are going to get off, and let them pass.

There are plenty of websites for Parkway info, visit a few that have maps and print them off. The National Park Service has a good one listing the mileposts and elevations Blue Ridge Parkway - Maps (U.S. National Park Service)

A couple of my favorite spots are Glendale Springs - that's where LovesMountains pointed out the Trading Post. There's also a Church of Frescoes that is cool churches of the frescoes

Linn Cove Viaduct - the architectural masterpiece of the Parkway
Linville Falls -- bit of a trek, but one of the nicest waterfalls along the Parkway. Also, take a good look at it and compare it to the deluge created by Hurricane Ivan
YouTube - Hurricane Ivan - Flood of the Linville R at Linville Falls Some people flocking to the mountains from Florida, thinking they'll never again be affected by a hurricane, are going to be in for a BIG surprise one of these years

Cradle of Forestry Cradle of Forestry -Home
For being a 19th century robber baron, George Vanderbilt had a much wiser view of forest husbandry than current loggers

That's all I can list for the current post. Each person's discovery of the BRP is unique, and you might not even know what kind of itinerary you'll use until you hit the road and get a feel for it. Just be sure that the best experience isn't found in one trip. You'll probably just look forward to coming back for more

Old 03-06-2008, 10:04 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
There are many books that cover trips along the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you have said how long you are giving this trip, I missed it. The Blue Ridge Parkway is 469 miles long and we covered 100 miles in one day, stopping at most of the overlooks. The speed limit is usually 45 mph, but some places have lower limits for safety reasons. I believe you said you are traveling in May and that is a very good choice.

I was cleaning out the car yesterday and had just brought in a map of the parkway and the roads leading to it. You asked what the best parts of the parkway are and I agree with another poster that it is just a matter of opinion. The main areas are:
Humpback Rocks near Waynesville, VA (before milepost 10)
Peaks of Otter near Buchanan, VA--food and lodging here, but it is busy (between milepost 80 and 90)
Roanoke Mountian near Roanoke, VA (between milepost 110 and 120)
Rocky Knob and Mabry Mill (around milepost 170)
Doughton Park near Sparta--Food and lodging here also, but check for reservations (around milepost (250)
E. B. Jeffress Park (about milepost 270) near Glendale Springs where the fresco painting is of the Lord's Supper--ask about this at the Northwest Trading Post (before milepost 260) on the Parkway
Probably one of the busiest areas on the Parkway is the area South of Blowing Rock, NC between mileposts 290 and 390(make sure you fill up with gas at Blowing Rock) including Moses H. Cone Memorial Park near milepost 300
Julian Price Memorial Park milepost 300
Linville Falls about milepost 315
Museum of North Carolina Minerals visitor center about milepost 335
Crabtree Meadows milepost 340
Mt. Mitchell State Park--highest point East of the Mississippi River (Milepost 355.4)
Craggy Gardens (between mileposts 360 and 370)
Folk Art Center (380)
Biltmore Estate is in Asheville near milepost 390
Most of the rest of the Parkway is in the Pisgah National Forest.

My personal favorite parts of the Parkway are Peaks of Otter, Mabry Mill, Doughton Park, Jeffress Park, Moses H. Cone Memorial Park, Julian Price Memorial Park, Museum of NC Minerals, Folk Art Center, and the Northwest Trading Post.

Unless you have at least a week to tour, I would suggest picking an area from this website Blue Ridge Parkway (U.S. National Park Service) because everyone has different tastes. I grew up about 1/2 hour from Glendale Springs and visited Doughton Park and Jeffress Park on a regular basis as a Sunday afternoon activity.

Last edited by NCN; 03-06-2008 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina