Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,558 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a relocation from NJ to Asheville. We have young children. While one is in grammar school, our other child is soon to be entering middle school. We have middle schools and high schools on our radar at this point. I am seeking opinions on the differences between TC Roberson High School, West Henderson, and AC Reynolds. Cane Creek and Rugby seem like both good middle school options. Please advise on the differences between schools, academics, athletics and areas in general.
I would love detailed opinions and advice on different areas (I know one is Henderson County and one is Buncombe).
Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 AM

648 posts, read 2,981,800 times
West Henderson (and the Henderson county schools) are WAY smaller than Reynolds and Roberson. The academics probably aren't that different, but West Henderson is a AA school for athletics, while Reynolds is 4-A (largest classification) and Roberson will be as well at the next re-classification.

Cane Creek and Valley Springs MS are both very good; Cane Creek is only about five years old. My only complaint with Cane Creek is that half the students go on to Reynolds and the others go to Roberson. So some friendships may be broken as the kids move on to HS. I don't know much about Rugby other than it is growing quickly as families are attracted to northern Henderson county.

I should also note that Henderson county is at least experimenting with year-round schooling. Hendersonville Elementary has gone to the year-round calendar, and there is a significant waiting list to get in. The popularity of the program may lead to the county converting another school or two in the coming years.

Last edited by cooperwx; 03-12-2008 at 07:46 AM..

Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM

46 posts, read 182,615 times
You are comparing great schools! They are all great .. and somewhat comparable... as far as academics. I think you will find that the biggest difference is just the feel of them. I graduated from TC Roberson, and know first hand that education level there is excellent as well as being among the top in sports. I will say that TC Roberson is located in a more expensive area of Buncombe County, so there is somewhat of a steriotype there as well as lot of the "clique" feeling (speaking from a former student there). But, the students excell. The other schools you mentioned are great also, but more of a small town feel to them. I would suggest pinpointing where you want to live and then doing research online for test scores and such... visit the schools website. Moderator cut: TOS Violation

Last edited by autumngal; 03-18-2008 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina