Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 11:53 AM

5 posts, read 2,713 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are considering a move to Henderson County, specifically Hendersonville. We will have two in elementary school and I was interested in opinions regarding the elementary, middle, and high schools in the county. I have reviewed the rankings, school profiles, and district website, but I am interested in the opinions of local individuals with children that attend the schools.
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 03:45 PM

395 posts, read 463,599 times
You will find that there have been a few things written on this forum about the schools in Henderson County, especially the high schools. If you do a search in the forums, you will get more information.
Hendersonville HS is considered the best of the 4 high schools in Henderson County and is the one that people who don't live in the district try to get into. I believe there is some kind of lottery. When we moved here 2 years ago, I made sure we were getting a house in the district so I could be sure my son would attend there. My son just graduated after joining the school in the 11th grade, and I can tell you that it was all around a very good experience. The school has very strong school spirit, with many of the students genuinely caring and loving their school. That says a lot about a school. There were many tears from the students, not only at the graduation speeches, but at the end of the year party as well. Many were genuinely sad to leave.
Academically, I did not find it very impressive . But to be fair, I find the public school system in this country in general quite lacking. Hendersonville High School is no exception.
Regarding lower grade schools, I don't know much about them. I have heard, however, that there is a Spanish Immersion school for the lower grades in Hendersonville, which I was quite impressed by. Again, however, I don't know the grades, which school, etc.

All best in your decisions!

Old 07-20-2016, 04:25 PM

526 posts, read 460,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
You will find that there have been a few things written on this forum about the schools in Henderson County, especially the high schools. If you do a search in the forums, you will get more information.
Hendersonville HS is considered the best of the 4 high schools in Henderson County and is the one that people who don't live in the district try to get into. I believe there is some kind of lottery. When we moved here 2 years ago, I made sure we were getting a house in the district so I could be sure my son would attend there. My son just graduated after joining the school in the 11th grade, and I can tell you that it was all around a very good experience. The school has very strong school spirit, with many of the students genuinely caring and loving their school. That says a lot about a school. There were many tears from the students, not only at the graduation speeches, but at the end of the year party as well. Many were genuinely sad to leave.
Academically, I did not find it very impressive . But to be fair, I find the public school system in this country in general quite lacking. Hendersonville High School is no exception.
Regarding lower grade schools, I don't know much about them. I have heard, however, that there is a Spanish Immersion school for the lower grades in Hendersonville, which I was quite impressed by. Again, however, I don't know the grades, which school, etc.

All best in your decisions!
I agree and have heard the same from many others about HHS. Top notch. I tried half heartily to get my kids in there also.
My kids were in the North district and the 7 yrs dealing with them was just unbelievable.
North was the spinoff of Edneyville HS which was a very well liked school in the area, tremendouse amount of history dating back to the thirties? When they built North HS the name was changed and the old timers just wanted nothing to do with it til this day. Very little alumni money or school history like Hendersonville HS and the school still suffers. they had a principle a few years ago who would disappear the first and last week of school and go play golf, he would leave his kids for the staff to watch when he left. A few yrs back they had a resource officer sexting and having a relationship with a much younger student. The above not mentioned principle has been transferred all over the district in recent yrs because he's now dating a former student.
Also if you look at the graduation numbers and grades please look at the number transferred out to the alternative school in the county. When a student is borderline failing and low grades they transfer said student to Ballfour school which is actually a wonderful school and a great idea. But some in the county use it to dump off students to make the reg HS numbers look better.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2016, 05:39 PM

5 posts, read 2,713 times
Thank you both, I appreciate your insight with regard to the local high schools. I will have to look into the Spanish Immersion school, I think our oldest would love it.
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina