Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:14 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calipso View Post
What is with the people here complaining about the pollution? When I was last there in 2007 it seemed like the city had little pollution. We all know about the stinktown of Candler but Asheville didn't seem so bad.
"Unfortunately, Asheville's air quality has taken a turn for the worse. In recent years, air pollution generated in neighboring states has inundated western North Carolina. The pollution has gotten so severe that it reduces average visibility in the Great Smoky Mountains by 80 percent during the summer months.(2)

The pollution is also causing illness in Asheville. Studies consistently demonstrate that air pollution is related to myriad health problems in the city, including respiratory and heart diseases, lung cancer, and possibly strokes.(3) Although the young and the elderly are most at risk, otherwise healthy people are not immune to the effects of air pollution. Dr. Clay Ballantine, a local physician specializing in internal medicine, concludes that air pollution is indeed causing health problems in Asheville. He notes that Asheville suffers from the highest incidence in the state of lung disease deaths from emphysema and pneumonia, while also having the lowest lung cancer death rates.(4)"

North Carolina - Communities at Risk - Toxics - Sierra Club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 05:40 AM

291 posts, read 1,203,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calipso View Post
What is with the people here complaining about the pollution? When I was last there in 2007 it seemed like the city had little pollution. We all know about the stinktown of Candler but Asheville didn't seem so bad.

The population density is increasing and when I remember the crowded conditions of West Asheville.......maybe that section has high polution but East Asheville, North Asheville always seemed fine to me.

I looked online today at apartment prices and holy crap. When I lived there it was like $400+ for an apartment, now it's $600+ for an apartment.
When you can't see all the mountains right in front of you then you know the pollution is bad

Old 11-15-2008, 10:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Acid rain has been in a problem in western NC for decades and has severely affected vegetation. Pollution IS a big issues in western NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina