Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:18 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,598,358 times

Advertisements

Such a shame! I will always remember Asheville as my 2nd home and a BEAUTIFUL city.

Maybe things will turn around in a few years!

GOOD LUCK Asheville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 AM

49 posts, read 251,447 times
I do appreciate living in Asheville, I just think biggest problem is that housing is skyrocketing because we have so many ppl moving here (esp retirees) and the prices are going up but yet salaries and job opportunities remain stagnant. Hopefully the Asheville boom will be more accomodating for residents who are trying to make a living. This is I believe the most expensive area in NC, even housing in Charlotte is cheaper.
That being said, Asheville does have a great funky feel to it but it also holds onto its southern charm and I feel really safe and comfortable being here.
It is a great place to raise children and have a family. My fam moved here when I was about 12 and I went off to school, lived in a few cities and traveled and it has really made me appreciate this place. If only job opportunities were better

Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garota123 View Post
I do appreciate living in Asheville, I just think biggest problem is that housing is skyrocketing because we have so many ppl moving here (esp retirees) and the prices are going up but yet salaries and job opportunities remain stagnant. Hopefully the Asheville boom will be more accomodating for residents who are trying to make a living. This is I believe the most expensive area in NC, even housing in Charlotte is cheaper.
That being said, Asheville does have a great funky feel to it but it also holds onto its southern charm and I feel really safe and comfortable being here.
It is a great place to raise children and have a family. My fam moved here when I was about 12 and I went off to school, lived in a few cities and traveled and it has really made me appreciate this place. If only job opportunities were better
Such a shame. What are the local kids doing that don't have a college education or a good paying job about housing. How can they afford it. I heard from my aunt & uncle that are from Asheville that housing cost have soared thru the roof.

To me, Asheville is a wonderful city that I hope to retire in. That is a few years away but will be here before you know it. My partner wants to retire to Wilmington though, so we are gonna have a mild battle on our hands.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,466 times
Default Burnsville area

I'm looking at some land in the Clear Creek Rd. area of Burnsville.
Is anybody aware of any potential building projects - especially "gated communities" planned for that area?

Old 01-17-2008, 02:50 PM

283 posts, read 1,296,525 times
Default The Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Such a shame. What are the local kids doing that don't have a college education or a good paying job about housing. How can they afford it. I heard from my aunt & uncle that are from Asheville that housing cost have soared thru the roof.

To me, Asheville is a wonderful city that I hope to retire in. That is a few years away but will be here before you know it. My partner wants to retire to Wilmington though, so we are gonna have a mild battle on our hands.
I went through a brief "battle" over the coast that I so dearly love (my kids were born in Coastal NC...Carteret County... my father died there as well)... and the mountains.

I finally decided upon the mountains. If you have ever been to the coast during the summer - it is great on the waterfront... but if you get so much as one block off of the waterfront, it is so...darn.... HOT!!! ( and that's from someone who likes like warm weather places!). If you don't have huge piles of cash, you will not be living on the waterfront.

The biggest factor was that the Western part of the state really has four enjoyable seasons here. The coast has maybe 3.

BUT - I hope that you can go to the place that works best for you and your partner. Visit in colder seasons and see how they both strike you.

Best of luck to you!!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
I went through a brief "battle" over the coast that I so dearly love (my kids were born in Coastal NC...Carteret County... my father died there as well)... and the mountains.

I finally decided upon the mountains. If you have ever been to the coast during the summer - it is great on the waterfront... but if you get so much as one block off of the waterfront, it is so...darn.... HOT!!! ( and that's from someone who likes like warm weather places!). If you don't have huge piles of cash, you will not be living on the waterfront.

The biggest factor was that the Western part of the state really has four enjoyable seasons here. The coast has maybe 3.

BUT - I hope that you can go to the place that works best for you and your partner. Visit in colder seasons and see how they both strike you.

Best of luck to you!!
My father & his side of the family are from Asheville and growing up as a child in Winston-Salem (only 2hrs away) we would go to Asheville every month and sometimes twice a month. I LOVE Asheville and hope to retire there. I have no ties to Wilmington even though it is a very beautiful city too.

I love Charlotte and have been here for 16 years, but after I retire, I want a little slower pace with less traffic and head aches! Love cold weather & snow.

Do areas North of Asheville get more snow that Asheville itself? Spruce Pine seems kinda remote, rural and nice.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,118,601 times
Quote:
Do areas North of Asheville get more snow that Asheville itself? Spruce Pine seems kinda remote, rural and nice.

Average snowfall totals for specific areas. Click on the desired location:

Historical Climate Data for North Carolina

Southeast Regional Climate Center

Old 11-07-2008, 12:40 PM

16 posts, read 45,103 times
Asheville is a place that likes to think it's a city, but it's actually a small town. A pretty boring small town. If you like Asheville, you may want to vacation in some place like Newark, NJ to get a sense of a really cool place.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:23 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,721,606 times
Quote:
Short answer, yes

Old 11-09-2008, 08:44 PM

291 posts, read 1,208,685 times
The only thing I don't like about Asheville is the pollution
It's hard to see the mountains now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina