Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 07:10 PM

6 posts, read 15,593 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting the area for the first time in January. I've heard alot about Sugar mnt. and Ski Bch., but would like some insight on the other ski resorts such as Hawksnest and Appalachian. We will be there on a holiday weekend (Jan 18-21, MLK Monday) so I am expecting it to be pretty crowded. Which resort do you reccommed. Our family has skiied before and do realize the N.C mountains wont quite compare to skiing out west but thats all we can afford this year. (although the lift tickets and board rentals are NOT any cheaper) Should we rent the equipment at the resort or from a rental shop?
Thanks, any info will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 04:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
I plan on taking my very 1st ski lesson in Jan. I live minutes from Sugar Mountain. I suggest you check out High Country Webcams...com! You can see the slopes! Today was 55 degrees...I bet the snow was melting. Enjoy your vacation!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:45 AM

Thanks, I'll check out the webcams.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:54 PM

60 posts, read 198,035 times
Default Snowboarding

There is a snowboard park at Hawksnest, and I believe the others do not have one. There are rails to slide etc. Pretty fun. Check out their websites.

Yma

Old 12-31-2007, 07:51 AM

Thanks for that info. I'll check with my kids as to what they want to do and we will check out Hawksnest website.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
As far as getting the most ride time, I'd have to reccomend Beech Mountain. For the longest single run, Sugar (assuming you are comfortable going to the top of the mountain).

Appalachain and Hawksnest are not bad, but I prefer the others over App/Hawk.

App is a pretty small area and the runs aren't very long.

Beech offers several lifts including the high-speed quad lift that will get you from the base to the top in just a few minutes.

Judging from the warmer-than-normal winter we've had, I hope you don't plan to come just for the skiing. Beech is showing 5/15 runs open with frozen granular (read: ice) and 8-18 inches of base. Sugar's site is showing open runs to the 3/4 Unloading station with 15-46 inches of snow (I've found this to be exaggerated from past experience.). Its granular just as Beech is.

If things keep up like this, the few open runs will be crowded to the point that skiing could be miserable over your holiday. Just as a general rule, I make it a point to never go on holidays anyway because of the crowds.

Hopefully the snow will stay around and only get better for you. I'd just watch the conditions carefully until you get here.

And if you are staying up the hill (Banner Elk, Sugar Mtn) pack warmer than the weather reports will indicate. The last time I went to Beech, the Weather Channel reported a high of 29. It was 23 in Banner Elk and 2 at the base of the ski area. 0 at the top with some serious wind. I drove up there from Charlotte, put in 3 runs and came home because it was miserable.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 PM

Thanks, your info was very helpful. I'm getting nervous and thinking of scrubbing N.C. all toghether since, yes, our main reason for going is for the skiing. Last year we went to tahoe and I'm sure we would be very dissapointed. I'll keep and eye on the conditions but looks like more warm weather is on the way.

Maybe I'll have to come up with "plan B". Look for some cheap flights to Denver on a different date (non holiday) and hopefully not have to worry about no snow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina