Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:04 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times

Advertisements

Black Mountain to me just seems too touristy. Weaverville has a nice hometown feel to it. I could see making it my home. Can't wait to check out the safari!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 06:12 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,008 times
Weaverville... It's closer to Asheville if you need something Black Mountain doesn't offer. Black Mountain is too touristy...

Old 04-21-2014, 06:24 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Weaverville... It's closer to Asheville if you need something Black Mountain doesn't offer. Black Mountain is too touristy...

It's difficult to name any small attractive downtown in Western NC that isn't busy with tourists from May to November. And that is a positive aspect. Take Hendersonville for example; the percentage of visitors to locals shopping downtown is somewhere around 80% to 20%, especially weekends.

It is highly doubtful that any of the posters exploring these areas for relocation are looking to live in a downtown setting.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:42 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
If you want the feel of a mountain town I would pick Black Mountain. If you want to be a bit closer to Asheville you might chose Weaverville. It's a hard choice but I don't think you can go wrong with either place. Good luck!

Old 04-22-2014, 07:29 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Black Mountain to me just seems too touristy. Weaverville has a nice hometown feel to it. I could see making it my home. Can't wait to check out the safari!
Have a great time on Safari lots of talented people in the Weaverville area. It is a great way to see the area and with the brochure/map it will give you a chance to explore.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Have a great time on Safari lots of talented people in the Weaverville area. It is a great way to see the area and with the brochure/map it will give you a chance to explore.
Thanks tsmw47! Yea I picked up a map few weeks ago, looking forward to exploring the area. So far my trips to Weaverville have been confined to Main St. Am hoping to scout out some areas to purchase a home. Also looking forward to supporting local artists.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:48 PM

Let us know how you liked the Safari and what you think of the area. Fantastic day for driving around...enjoy!

Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 AM

497 posts, read 968,837 times
Both of these two areas have art communities, with BM having more visiting tourists. If I was trying to make a decision between the two; BM has a more in-the-mountains environment, more expensive real estate, W'ville flatter, more affordable, more likely to expand in the near future because of that.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:03 PM

Weaverville itself is flat but mountains all around. A short drive out Reems Creek Rd to Ox Creek Rd and you are heading up to the Parkway. Go north on the Pkwy and its straight up hill to Craggy Gardens and if you wish Mt. Mitchell. Parkway north past WV exit should be open May 22nd. It is a beautiful drive and you can be back in WV for lunch or dinner at one of our great restaurants or on a Friday for a wine tasting at Maggie B's. Life doesn't get much better! Been here 10 years and love it.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:59 PM

497 posts, read 968,837 times
tsmw47, I've been trying to determine when the BRP will reopen North at the Ox Creek Road connection. Last I read was that it was being delayed due to "contract delays" and maybe late May, according to BRP website. That's the way we access the BRP from North Asheville, and look forward to it being permanently reopened to access Mt Mitchell SP trails. Can you confirm May 22nd? The first closing occurred one month after we moved here, July 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina