Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:19 PM

942 posts, read 2,586,491 times

Advertisements

can you please compare the three towns, I am undecided about them? Let me know what you think. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 05:20 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,029,600 times
The county tax burden is much lower in Caldwell County than in Catawba County. Out of 100 counties, Caldwell was ranked #72 and Catawba was #16 highest.

Last edited by mm34b; 10-21-2006 at 05:41 PM..

Old 10-21-2006, 07:25 PM

73 posts, read 309,947 times
HELLO,
Between the three places you named Hickory is the largest, Lenoir is second largest, and Hudson is a small town right outside of Lenoir. I do agree about the taxes,Caldwell county is the cheapest. Hickory has all kind's of shopping, and the Valley Hill's Mall, and many different kind's of places to eat.Lenoir is very pretty, and sit's at the bottom of the mountain's. Hudson is a very small town, but is a nice place. Hickory is the most populated. I guess it would matter what kind of life style you prefer to live. All three place's are very nice. You can drive from Hickory to Hudson in about twenty minutes, and in another ten minute's you are in Lenoir. Good luck on your decision.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:39 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,766,570 times
As usual the two posters above are right on the money!
Can't decide? Why not split the difference and check out Granite Falls or Sawmills? Are schools an issue? South Caldwell is well respected.
Len27 who posted a thread about what he misses moved to an interesting area just north of the Catawba River. Although he lives in Caldwell county and enjoys lower taxes he actually has a Hickory address.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:46 PM

Ok, you lost me !!! I am not sure what city/town is in what county. The high school would be important, crime rate, gangs (if any) . I saw another forum and to say the least one would think that IA and gangs are a big problem in that area. I would like to have atleast a view of the mountains but affordable. We aill have about 100k for down payment and wouldn't like ur mortgage to be more than 700. So definatley a home less than max 180k.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:51 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,029,600 times
Hudson & Lenoir are in Caldwell County. Hickory is in Catawba County.

NC Crime Stats.
Lower number is better.

Catawba County - 5,236.6
Caldwell County - 3,404.9
Statewide - 4,617.9 = Average

2005 NC State Bureau of Investigation Crime Report

http://sbi2.jus.state.nc.us/crp/public/2005/Publications/2005%20Annual%20Summary%20Revised.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 10-22-2006 at 04:12 PM..

Old 10-22-2006, 03:57 PM

Hi, Im hoping someone can give me information about the area. I originally was looking at the Hickory area and decided against it However, I saw a home I really liked in Hudson, NC. Can anyone tell me about the H.S.??? Are people pleasant?? Our home is under contract in Florida and we have been going to NC for the past 3 years and love it there. We always go to Boone but for living and working I do not think it's ideal, my husbands is a mechanic so Im hoping he can get employment somewhat easy. I am on my second career finishing my RN's. So if anyone can tell me something about Hudson I'd appreciate it. Oh another thing can you see the mountains from Hudson??

thanx

Old 03-29-2007, 11:52 AM

24 posts, read 79,352 times
Default Hudson

It is me again. South Caldwell High School is for Hudson and surrounding area. Exactly where are you planning on moving to? Is it a new neighborhood? I am the one you spoke with before where S. Caldwell is so unfriendly. I live in anew housing neighborhood and several houses are for sale.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:29 PM

27 posts, read 75,598 times
Why did you decide against Hickory? We are looking to move to this area. . .

Old 04-02-2007, 11:34 PM

12 posts, read 37,644 times
South Caldwell area unfriendly? That has completely not been my experience. I moved here a little over a year ago from Greensboro to attend Caldwell Community College in Hudson. We live about 3 miles away in the Cajah's Mountain area, but have a Lenoir address. I don't have children, so no experience with South Caldwell High School other than attending the occasional football game. You can see a few large foothills in this area, I guess depending on where you are you may glimpse a Grandfather mountain view. Where I am you can see a couple foothills not really mountains per se. Everyone at the college has been super friendly. We used Homes 4 you in Hudson to locate our house and the owner Donna is so nice and helpful. And I found the best mechanic ever at Watson's Automotive right in Downtown Hudson. Lenoir has the chain fast food places, the Blockbuster, Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Staples, etc. It takes about 10-15 min to get there going North on Highway 321. For movie theater, Super-Wal Mart, non-fast food dining and a mall you would need to go into Hickory via South 321. That takes about 20-30 min from here. I will probably not stay here after school simply because I am after something a bit more mountainous, but the people here have been very friendly and welcoming. If I can possibly answer anything else for you, just let me know. What area are you planning on working in as that could make a difference in which area you may want to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina