Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies! Thanks for the information on the new flat income tax. I hadn't known about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:54 PM

47 posts, read 143,680 times
North Carolina is ranked as one of the 10 worst states for taxes and in one the of articles they say that in 2015 NC will be into the upper top half of the list.

Here are 3 links on it. The third link is where it say that by 2015 NC will be in the upper to half.
The 10 Worst States in the U.S. for Taxes | The Fiscal Times
The 10 worst states for taxes- MSN Money
The 10 Worst States for Taxes in 2014 | The Fiscal Times

This link below explains how the rankings were calculated
10 Worst States in the U.S. for Taxes | The Fiscal Times

Old 02-13-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra2Caden View Post
North Carolina is ranked as one of the 10 worst states for taxes and in one the of articles they say that in 2015 NC will be into the upper top half of the list.

Here are 3 links on it. The third link is where it say that by 2015 NC will be in the upper to half.
The 10 Worst States in the U.S. for Taxes | The Fiscal Times
The 10 worst states for taxes- MSN Money
The 10 Worst States for Taxes in 2014 | The Fiscal Times

This link below explains how the rankings were calculated
10 Worst States in the U.S. for Taxes | The Fiscal Times
Thanks for the links! (I didn't see anything about NC in the 2nd link, but it was nice to read about the 5 states residents were fleeing from that was on a link on that page). It is really a huge relief for me to hear about the drop in tax from 7.75 (what I would have been paying) to 5.8; I was really dreading having to go from paying nothing where I live (dry, sunny--but beautiful in the winter/spring/fall--Nevada) to something close to 8%!!! Very thankful (Just can't help thinking though how awful it is for someone only making like $20,000 to have to pay out now nearly 6% of what little they make; I would think that would destroy me--I would definitely be trying to run from that if I could).

Old 02-13-2014, 05:17 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Imo, the new NC tax rates and regs is not a simple, "Gee, the rate is being lowered" deal.

If one lives here/is an NC rez, it is what it is...

If one is considering moving here, working or retired, the new state income tax rules need some evaluation: the 'lower' marginal rate also comes with some changes in other sections of filing one's taxes. Those changes may or may not be 'good' for an individual, or may increase one's annual tax bill, all other things being equal.

A nominal state 'tax rate' is not the basis for a decision to move to another state, imo.

Have your CPA run your current income situ through NC's new rates. Then decide if your impetus to move to NC, 'tax-wise', is good for you.
GL, mD

Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post

A nominal state 'tax rate' is not the basis for a decision to move to another state, imo.
Definitely. I was going to move there regardless of the tax rates and was aware that moving practically anywhere back east would involve a pay-cut. So the 5.8% flat rate doesn't mean a state income tax deduction of 5.8% each pay-check (or however that works; I know absolutely nothing about taxes which is way I try to have as little to do with them as is possible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Have your CPA run your current income situ through NC's new rates. Then decide if your impetus to move to NC, 'tax-wise', is good for you.
GL, mD
Thanks; it'll probably be a while before I move--will try to enjoy my state-income taxless situation while it lasts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina