Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:33 PM

24 posts, read 28,906 times

Advertisements

I telecommute and must have the fastest and most reliable internet service available. How far outside of Asheville can I move and still have completely reliable cable internet service? I'm not at all interested in wireless or satellite. Not crazy about DSL either. I've looked on the Time Warner site, but can't get a sense of the range of their service. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 10:37 AM

679 posts, read 1,464,012 times
I don't know if Charter has a coverage map or a place where you can type a random address and see if service is available. But they are the "big dog" here in cable internet service.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:51 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,630,852 times
Agree with The Mule...I fiddled around on Charter's site, and some similar 'coverage' sites, but it was not very informative as to specific, actual location.

Fwiw to the OP, Charter is also in many outlying towns, 30+ miles outside of A'Ville.

I am unfortunate not to be able to get it up on our Mtn above Waynesville, but our friends 'down below' all have it, including a few that tele commute. They don't complain about speed/lack of...
GL, mD

Old 11-20-2013, 02:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,560,919 times
I've had Charter internet for years, probably close to 20 by now. There really nothing that can compete for an asymmetrical provider.

I told them to take their TV and shove it, but kept the internet, and these results are pretty typical.

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Last edited by Asheville Native; 11-20-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,354 times
Completely agree with Asheville Native. Have Abandoned Charter for TV service (too expensive and other alternatives available these days)however Charter still the best and most consistent for high speed internet service.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,092 times
I have the same requirements as the OP; I telecommute (IT sales), thus needing reliable and fast internet speeds both upstream and downstream. DSL and satellite are a no-go. While 3-5 MBPS is technically 'high speed', speeds slower than 5MBPS won't work for me, and I can't depend on random bursts of "higher speed" when the network is less congested...

What are the speeds in the Asheville downtown/metro area with Charter/Frontier/others? Do local providers have FiOS or equivalents to ensure reliable high speeds? How about speeds in surrounding towns (Weaverville, Hendersonville, Leicester, Mars Hill, etc etc).

Currently in Atlanta, I have 110MBPS down/ 15MBPS up and need to maintain a similar level of service. I'd expect slower 'high speed' internet further out into the mountains, but unsure if there are pockets or towns outside of downtown area with decent speeds.

We're looking in a 0~30 minute driving time radius around downtown and unsure if this internet requirement will greatly limit our scope to certain areas with good internet speeds.

(And as many others have stated, TV service is of no importance. Strictly internet data connectivity)

Old 02-22-2014, 02:07 PM

679 posts, read 1,464,012 times
I have both a Charter cable connection and an AT&T DSL connection because I telecommute and Mrs. Mule works at home, as well. Charter has given me bursts in excess of 40Mb/s down, and typically exceeds the rated 30 by a decent margin. AT&T has been consistently 4.8 - 6 where I live.

Charter just sent me something about them increasing to 60Mb/s down sometime next month. I have not looked into it yet.

I don't think you are going to wind up close to 110Mb/s down, however. Even Charter business service has an upper end of 60Mb/s.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,572,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLtoAVL View Post
I have the same requirements as the OP; I telecommute (IT sales), thus needing reliable and fast internet speeds both upstream and downstream. DSL and satellite are a no-go. While 3-5 MBPS is technically 'high speed', speeds slower than 5MBPS won't work for me, and I can't depend on random bursts of "higher speed" when the network is less congested...

What are the speeds in the Asheville downtown/metro area with Charter/Frontier/others? Do local providers have FiOS or equivalents to ensure reliable high speeds? How about speeds in surrounding towns (Weaverville, Hendersonville, Leicester, Mars Hill, etc etc).

Currently in Atlanta, I have 110MBPS down/ 15MBPS up and need to maintain a similar level of service. I'd expect slower 'high speed' internet further out into the mountains, but unsure if there are pockets or towns outside of downtown area with decent speeds.

We're looking in a 0~30 minute driving time radius around downtown and unsure if this internet requirement will greatly limit our scope to certain areas with good internet speeds.

(And as many others have stated, TV service is of no importance. Strictly internet data connectivity)

The provider in Hendersonville is Morris Broadband. Not sure of their service area, but you can look at it here: www.morrisbroadband.com Have had MB for years, never a problem other than a power outage here or there due to a storm etc.; the service is excellent and you can talk to a real English speaking person on the phone, right at their desk in Hendersonville.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 AM

113 posts, read 276,930 times
Hi ATLtoAVL,

Another refugee (and IT pro) from ATL here. We live in western Yancey County (about 35 minutes to downtown Asheville) and are served by local mom & pop Country Cablevision. Country Cablevision is currently replacing their current wiring system with fiber and will soon have FTTH. Not sure when it will come online. In our area, the fiber was run on the poles in mid-to-late Jan and they are currently advertising for drop installers to complete the connections to homes and businesses. Pretty neat!

Good luck!
Opt-Out

Old 02-24-2014, 04:53 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,919,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt-Out View Post
Hi ATLtoAVL,

Another refugee (and IT pro) from ATL here. We live in western Yancey County (about 35 minutes to downtown Asheville) and are served by local mom & pop Country Cablevision. Country Cablevision is currently replacing their current wiring system with fiber and will soon have FTTH. Not sure when it will come online. In our area, the fiber was run on the poles in mid-to-late Jan and they are currently advertising for drop installers to complete the connections to homes and businesses. Pretty neat!

Good luck!
Opt-Out
Hear, hear for CCVN! We have a vacation cabin the southeastern part of Yancey, near Busick and the Blue Ridge Parkway, so we'll have to wait until 2015 for the fiber backbone to reach us -- but we are eagerly awaiting it.

Be warned that without FTTH, speeds on CCVN are limited to I believe a max of 5 down/256-512Kb up. The fiber upgrade is much needed. It's funded by USDA's rural utility program. While a mom and pop company, the pop in this case developed CATV systems all over Florida and other states in the 60s and they know their stuff. Pricing is fair and customer service good.

Given your needs, I would double-check the availability of CCVN's fiber network in the area you're looking in should you consider Yancey. Yancey is some gorgeous country and has a huge network of artist outposts, but be forewarned it still IS a rural and not terribly progressive place. Fine for us as weekenders but it's also a far cry from home back in the Research Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina