Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:57 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
WNC is considered a temperate rainforest. No real surprise.

Aaahhh.... can you give us any up to date information to rely on the above? We do know that Transylvania County does get more rain than any other area in Western NC, and bills itself as "Land of the Waterfalls", more waterfalls there than any other County.

Do you have any reliable literature or articles with accurate statistics about the entirety of WNC? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 06:22 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,188 times
North Carolina State

Click on each county and then go to the top of the page and find "other", that is where the weather stats are located.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asheville,_North_Carolina

Here it says 45.7 inches of rainfall per year.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:44 PM

52 posts, read 120,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Seminolepharmd,
Thank you for the comparison between Asheville and Seattle. Is Asheville more rainy during certain months? I'm glad the sun comes out sometime during the day. When I visited in the summer months it didn't rain at all. I don't mind winter or cold weather but I hate gloomy, gray days.
Which town do you like living in better? Why did you leave Seattle?
Check out this link, which will show you the average precipitation for both cities. I have to say again that comparing the total amount of precipitation is quite deceiving because as I mentioned in my previous post, the rainfall in Seattle can last all day in very, very small amounts (just enough to make it feel damp all day) as compared to Asheville where we more frequently seem to get a downpour of rain, followed by some sunshine.

Climate Comparison for Asheville, NC (28805) and Seattle, WA

My husband and I prefer living Asheville over Seattle - hands down. In our opinion, the people in Asheville are so much more easy to get to know. I wouldn't say the people of Seattle are not friendly, but they are not quite as outgoing and "warm" as they are down here. It may be because Seattle is just a much larger city and there are people from all over the world there; so many different cultures.

There are more high-tech type jobs in Seattle, but it is extremely congested and the cost of living is high. It's a bustling city and we prefer the laid back living here in Asheville. Driving 20 miles there can be an easy 45 minute commute with all the traffic.

AVL is also within driving distance to where both sides of our family live in FL, so that was a huge plus for us. We've wanted to move here for years. It was just a matter of finding the right job at the right time.

Seattle is beautiful and we think it's a great place to visit during the summer. The winter,fall and spring are all usually very wet - especially Nov. through March. They rarely get snow there, but the rain and grey skies can be taxing for some. We still hiked and stuff in the winter months, but IMO, it wasn't pleasant like it is here.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:01 PM

87 posts, read 145,833 times
I am actually in the early process of trying to decide which is better place for me to move to (living in akron ohio area now) My top 2 places far and away is Asheville and the Seattle area . Really enjoy reading about the pros and cons

Old 08-27-2013, 07:33 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Used to live near Akron then moved to Oregon then here to Asheville area. I can honestly say weather in NE Ohio is some of the worst I've ever lived in. Cold, gray, slush in winter, hot and sticky in summer, did have some decent fall weather. We found Oregon misty, gray in winter but sunny dry summers. Seattle similar just more and longer gray misty days. Summers cooler than Oregon but great. Asheville's weather is more varied winters can be cold snowy then warm up to 50 degrees sunny and then be raining and 40.But generally speaking winters not bad. Fall is spectacular! Spring can be in full glorious bloom then bam a freeze nails everything but some years are breathtaking. Summers tend to be warm and humid but higher elevations are cooler. Either place is better than where you are in my opinion. Both Asheville and Seattle have lots to recommend them. Asheville is close enough to visit so come down and you will probably like it....a lot of us do!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:18 PM

I did visit a few years ago in October and loved it in Asheville! I also just visited seattle in july and it was also amazing! I plan to revisit next march to see what seattle is in the non beautiful summer season. I am a city letter carrier (mailman) So I am outdoors all day everyday walking in whatever weather there is. I am looking for somewhere mild that has great nature. That is what I love so much about the PNW its mild with great nature. But I am weary of the overcast constantly and grey

Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
We lived in Seattle, and it is still our favorite BIG city in America. It is hard to compare with Asheville, as Seattle is a much larger and more sophisticated city than Asheville. So if you are looking for a more big-city experience, that's your place. Actually, most of the whole Puget Sound is pretty wonderful, and we would live there in a flash if it weren't for the terribly depressing weather (and that is why the people are not that warm and friendly....they are all too depressed ).

Asheville has a charm and uniqueness that is totally different from Seattle. We love it here---definitely better weather and happier people.

I have lived in serious snow country and can handle big snow and icestorms. But could NOT handle day after day of gray drizzly weather. Drove me nuts. Like living in a gray cottonball. All you can see and feel is cold damp gray for.........months.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. I would more likely be living outside of seattle Tacoma or Bellingham hopefully. THanks for the info on how the weather made you feel will have to think about that.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 AM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminolepharmd View Post
Check out this link, which will show you the average precipitation for both cities. I have to say again that comparing the total amount of precipitation is quite deceiving because as I mentioned in my previous post, the rainfall in Seattle can last all day in very, very small amounts (just enough to make it feel damp all day) as compared to Asheville where we more frequently seem to get a downpour of rain, followed by some sunshine.

Climate Comparison for Asheville, NC (28805) and Seattle, WA

My husband and I prefer living Asheville over Seattle - hands down. In our opinion, the people in Asheville are so much more easy to get to know. I wouldn't say the people of Seattle are not friendly, but they are not quite as outgoing and "warm" as they are down here. It may be because Seattle is just a much larger city and there are people from all over the world there; so many different cultures.

There are more high-tech type jobs in Seattle, but it is extremely congested and the cost of living is high. It's a bustling city and we prefer the laid back living here in Asheville. Driving 20 miles there can be an easy 45 minute commute with all the traffic.

AVL is also within driving distance to where both sides of our family live in FL, so that was a huge plus for us. We've wanted to move here for years. It was just a matter of finding the right job at the right time.

Seattle is beautiful and we think it's a great place to visit during the summer. The winter,fall and spring are all usually very wet - especially Nov. through March. They rarely get snow there, but the rain and grey skies can be taxing for some. We still hiked and stuff in the winter months, but IMO, it wasn't pleasant like it is here.
Thank you so much for your insightful reply. I feel much better about the rain this year in Asheville. I've researched many other places to retire and I keep coming back to Asheville. It has almost everything I am looking for in a community. Weather though is my #1 factor. I don't like heat and humidity. I do realize that Asheville is sub tropical, but it does seem to be cooler in the mountains, at least at night. I really appreciate all who replied to my post.
Donna

Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
It is cooler in areas with higher elevations outside of town. I'm at 3200 and it can drop 5-8 degrees from town. BUT....it can still be hot and humid and as I get older it bothers me more and more. Being an outside person it makes summers less than desirable for me. Other than that this is a wonderful place to live in so many ways. Suggest you visit in August but this year has been untypical almost no hot weather, not much sun either.
I do think of the great Oregon summers with low humidity, we lived near Eugene, a place similar to Asheville in many ways. Think I would consider that area over Seattle, weather better although still A LOT of winter gray. 1.5hrs to coast and about same to Cascades or over the mountains to sun and dry side so you have options. Both PNW and Asheville are outdoor meccas with so much to do and so many beautiful places to visit. Tough decision, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina