Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,850 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are hopping to settle in Hayesville in about a year. We currently live in Waxhaw NC (about 4.5 hours away) I am having a hard time finding job info online.... I have an Associate of arts degree but am home right now with our 3 kids (all 4 and younger). Before the kids I worked as an Office Manager for an Animal Hospital for 5 years. Hubby has a BS of Automotive Technology and currently works as a Service Adviser at his family's Dealership. He may be looking to get out of "the business" though if he can find something with more family friendly hours....
Our inspiration for moving is Mount Holly Kennels and Possible Dreams Farm as our 2 daughters both have Down Syndrome and we are hoping to be involved with their mission.
We welcome Any info on jobs/places to live/schools/everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 10:42 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,460 times
You may want to check out Mountin' Hopes in Mars Hill, Nc which is a nice small, college town

Mountin' Hopes Therapeutic Riding Center 181 Willow Drive PO Box 387 Mars Hill, NC 28754 828 689-2291 Fax: 828 689-3246 Becki Janes ,

Old 12-06-2007, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,809 times
It's quite fantastic! We moved up here from, Yes, I'll go ahead and say it, Florida... and and are quite happy. We have 4 daughters in Primary and Jr. High and the have adapted very well. The quality of schooling is awesome compared to where we came from. But dont go sharing this too much.. we dont want a LOT of growth, we like the "mayberry" small town feel. Last week my girls were in the Christmas Parade and in the Tractor Parade several weeks back! Sounds corny, I know, but it is simply just a better way of living up here. Good luck on your move. I'm just finishing up Welcome to Hayesville, North Carolina so that might help - eventually... If I can get it done!

All the Best,
ChrisDo

Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 11,928 times
Default before you move

Before you move you had better make sur4e you have a job, there are not many jobs in NC these days unless you are right near the big cities like charlotte

Old 03-04-2008, 03:11 PM

6 posts, read 25,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndiob View Post
Before you move you had better make sur4e you have a job, there are not many jobs in NC these days unless you are right near the big cities like charlotte

I believe that is excellent advice. Hayesville, NC is primarily a place one goes to visit, retire or own a vacation home. Here people work in hospitality, tourism (late spring summer/fall), construction (home) or own their own business. Many businesses do several things and they don't have to be related (e.g. home repair and car detailing). People here work to live and not live to work.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,679 times
My wife and I are considering to retire to the Hayesville, NC area in 2 years. We presently live in New Hampshire and are sick of the long winters. Our youngest daughter lives in Marble. We would like any comments about a couple of frozen northerens relocating to your area. I have seen some unkind comments about Floridians and would like your thoughts on a couple of quiet, mind your own business, New Englanders.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM

22 posts, read 61,708 times
hello new hampshire! my husband and i are retiring to hayesville as soon as the house is finished (march or april!!!). we are coming to the area after 10 years in texas and 18 years in colorado. we also heard the florida comments when we first bought property here in 2008----we were worried about people not liking us because we were moving from texas, but i guess it's higher up on the food chain than florida

that said, the people we have met have been lovely, every single one of them. everybody has been very nice to us! it may help that my husband and i are both originally from georgia, but i don't think that makes a huge difference. what i gather is that people don't want you to move there and then complain about something. for instance, one of our neighbors in hayesville is a guy from wisconsin who complains about not enough bars and restaurants. i think he built the cabin with his brother from atlanta, who had a much better idea of what the hiawassee/hayesville area is like; then his brother died and now he has the cabin and doesn't know enough about the area to be accepting of it. you will have to drive farther for things than you may be accustomed to, but then i live in houston right now and i either have to drive halfway to downtown for things or i sit in traffic for a very long time, so it's not a big deal. yes, it's different. we've moved there because it's different. don't move to the area and then complain about it. that turns people off very quickly! i hear there's a lot of friction in blue ridge right now because people from atlanta are moving up and then trying to turn it into a northern atlanta suburb.

after 18 years in denver, and especially after 10 years in houston, i adore the western north carolina weather. i love winter and will be glad to have it back, but it's in much smaller doses than you have had in new hampshire. there are four seasons here in western north carolina. it's beautiful. right now it's raining a great deal but that's okay too.

i have heard slightly negative comments about the bible belt aspect of the area, but i'm not seeing it so far.

i think a couple of quiet, myob new englanders will get on just fine, just as i hope a couple of quiet, myob former texans will do the same.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina