Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 12,025 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are seriously considering moving away from Arizona to live in western North Carolina. We both are in the medical field: I am the director of a busy Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory and my wife is in management of a very large Operating Room.

In my searches of western North Carolina, eastern Tennessee and eastern Kentucky we found the town of Sylva.

Can anyone give us some information on the area and the hospital? Any other areas to search?

We would LOVE to buy 50'ish+ wooded acres with a stream and hills on the property, build a house and work at a local hospital. We would also want to be able to target shoot, hunt and fish on our own property.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please email us at ccl1991@gmail.com

Thanks!

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 02:59 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccl1991 View Post
My wife and I are seriously considering moving away from Arizona to live in western North Carolina. We both are in the medical field: I am the director of a busy Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory and my wife is in management of a very large Operating Room.

In my searches of western North Carolina, eastern Tennessee and eastern Kentucky we found the town of Sylva.

Can anyone give us some information on the area and the hospital? Any other areas to search?

We would LOVE to buy 50'ish+ wooded acres with a stream and hills on the property, build a house and work at a local hospital. We would also want to be able to target shoot, hunt and fish on our own property.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please email us at ccl1991@gmail.com

Thanks!

Bill

Have you visited the area yet? Sylva is a very small town, there are two community hospitals within a radius. Under 100 beds. As for the 50 plus acres with hills and running creek/streams and a portion that is buildable? For decent land of that acreage that is undeveloped (no water, sewage, power, road frontage, etc.) it will be very pricey. Surely you will do some research, homework, and get a good real estate agent who specializes in land purchases.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 12,025 times
My wife and I plan on taking a few weeks vacation and driving around that tri-state area. Our hope is to find the acreage for around $200K and build on it. Researching it appears Kentucky and to a lesser point, Tennessee may be less expensive but there are more hospitals in western North Carolina.

We will work with our recruiter and look for places and realtors on the "lands of..." web site. Our plan to take our time and make this move only when we are ready and informed.

Thank you for the info.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:21 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
I think Sylva is great, but it is kinda s,mall. You might consider living in a larger town and buying land within 1 1/2 hours. Your options would increase dramatically. Depending on your stomach for commute, and winding roads, working in Asheville is probably your best be it.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:05 PM

440 posts, read 1,092,549 times
Sylva was one of the places I very much liked when we were there.............. good luck on your search....contact the local REALTOR association to help you with a REALTOR.... AND I highly.........HIGHLY recommend reviewing posts here @ city-data.com....a WEALTH of information.... invaluable posts by locals...awesome!

Old 06-22-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedLady View Post
Sylva was one of the places I very much liked when we were there.............. good luck on your search....contact the local REALTOR association to help you with a REALTOR.... AND I highly.........HIGHLY recommend reviewing posts here @ city-data.com....a WEALTH of information.... invaluable posts by locals...awesome!

The Realtors Association does not do referrals. Posters have to go to www.Realtor.com to do preliminary searches and choose a Realtor from their advertisements in the zip code they are interested in.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
The Realtors Association does not do referrals. Posters have to go to www.Realtor.com to do preliminary searches and choose a Realtor from their advertisements in the zip code they are interested in.
My mistake! (association) Yes... I agree with what you are saying QuilterChick..research. Referrals if you can get any are good too.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedLady View Post
My mistake! (association) Yes... I agree with what you are saying QuilterChick..research. Referrals if you can get any are good too.

Most folks either get the local newspapers online, especially the Sunday papers, or some have a Real Estate Weekly on Friday, Saturday or Sunday; and many Realtors advertise in those. Then if people are actually here for a visit let's say, they pick up the various real estate publications in front of stores etc., in those free boxes.

But... as you know, just looking through ad brochures doesn't mean you'll get bond with an agent the first time out. We do have some excellent long term agents here; many are natives of the area, and many are "transplants" and have a special love for their chosen home state and locale they service. You, my friend, are on track for being one of the latter I'm sure.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:56 AM

I love my job...seriously love working with the people. I am excited about getting back into painting once we settle too! We will have to meet too :0)

Old 11-08-2013, 03:21 PM

...Sylva may be the town we end up in...we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina