Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:10 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,947,764 times

Advertisements

^^^This isnt meant as an AVL bashing session, I like AVL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,615,283 times
A single person can live just fine on 30K in Knoxville or Johnson City, apparently better than fine in Marion. Asheville is more expensive because it has a unique ambience.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:25 AM

606 posts, read 1,981,563 times
It's not just Asheville, Creeksitter. I'm in Pisgah Forest renting a 3/2 for myself, my son Robert and my sister who is recovering from an illness. We're paying $850 and can barely afford that with all three of us contributing! Now we're getting ready to split up, sister staying in Brevard and me and my son trying to move closer to work in Fletcher.

I have not been able to find ANYTHING that is affordable and meets our needs. There's no way that Robert and I can afford $850 on our own, but I can't find a modest 2/1 house for less than that! Our combined income is $1800/mo. so I need to spend no more than $600/mo on housing. The only places with homes to rent at that price are in the Canton, Candler and Leicester areas, or are totally unsuitable mobile homes. Robert needs ADA compliant housing and I need quiet country living . . .

The rents in the entire Asheville Metro area, including "Hooterville" and Brevard, are absolutely ridiculous!! Don't get me started on food prices!! Economic recovery? Really!?

Tracey

Old 08-12-2013, 06:02 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,072,830 times
Asheville has a metro population of 250K and city population of 84,000, and is no where near a large city and as a result don't get the expectation of salaries competitive to large metro areas. Where else is that the norm? These are apples and oranges comparisons. If one isn't making enough to subsist, move someplace where it is.....simple enough.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,615,283 times
Hymnsinger, I was responding to the poster who said it was hard for a single person to survive on 30K anywhere nearby. You are two people trying to get by on 22K - yes that is going to be a struggle.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:21 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,507,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I'm looking for a month to month rental and called the new Hunt Hill apartment complex. They don't have monthly rentals but their sister complex Weirbridge does. The woman told me a studio apartment is $850 a month and if you get a 3 month rental add another $150, a 6 month $100 and a 9 month $50 to the rent. It costs $250 to fill out a application and get on a waiting list. This does not guarantee an apartment will come up. There is a $500 non refundable pet fee. Oh, and the rent can go up after the 3 month lease is up.
I told her "no thanks".
Why don't you ask them about their work force program. It's a program setup for middle class single people and families that fall into the gap between subsidized housing and high income earners. The Retreat at Hunt Hill will have 180 total units of which 18 will be "affordables."

If you're wanting to move you might want to go ahead and put down some money to reserve an apartment. The affordables will go quickly and the people that move into them tend to stay. Weirbridge Village also has affordables but they only have 14 available and all are taken at the moment. The affordable rate for a 1 bedroom at both Weirbridge and Hunt Hill will be about $650 and the salary range starts at around. $30k and goes all the way up to just over $100k per year depending on the number of bedrooms you'll be needing.

There's likely to be plans to increase the size of Hunt Hill but those are in the works and will likely be another phase after the initial construction is done. Hunt Hill's first building should be coming online in Feburary to March time frame and the property will probably get another building about every month after the initial one. There will be 5 total plus the clubhouse which will have apartments over the top of it and will be located at the top of the hill.

In regards to the monthly rentals that may be something that will be initiated after lease up. Generally developers do not want people moving in and moving right back out during the lease up period.
Best of luck!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:25 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,507,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
That is the norm most everywhere. The nicer complexes don't want transient tenants. The hefty pet fee is to discourage tenants with pets. It also shows that the management is very fussy about the condition of the units. All apartment complexes charge a fee to conduct a credit check and a background check. Hunt Hill is "saying" they want long term tenants.

Have you inquired about possibly a "corporate" apartment? where you may get a month to month agreement, or at least a 3 month agreement.
There are several companies that do that. Weirbridge Village should have guided that poster to Corporate Connection for further information. Obviously there is an increased cost associated with renting a fully furnished apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina