Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:31 AM

29 posts, read 80,350 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the great forum. I have just a few questions about Ashville and sorry if I'm high-jacking this thread. I'm disabled due to a surgical mishap and need to downsize into an apartment. Not something I'm looking forward to at all but have no choice. I'm having a real hard time finding "nice apartments" (is that an oxymoron any way ?) in Asheville.

Questions:
Where are the nice apartments in Asheville? No section eight or welfare accepting places.

Is Asheville a place of sort of Republican hating hippies? I'm of neither big party affiliation but a city overly acquainted with one ideology over another really turns me off. And I especially despise Hippies and all the 60's free love mentality. Yet that is sort of the impression I'm getting from all the website I've visited regarding Asheville.

I have also done some crime comparison and despite what Asheville's main website says, my analysis of things says Asheville has a significant crime problem but I fully aware that statistics are sometimes not real life.

Any REAL live experience living in Asheville would be great. And please be civil.

Thanks

Gabby

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-23-2010 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Moved to new thread for better responses.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,856,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagal1989 View Post
Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the great forum. I have just a few questions about Ashville and sorry if I'm high-jacking this thread. I'm disabled due to a surgical mishap and need to downsize into an apartment. Not something I'm looking forward to at all but have no choice. I'm having a real hard time finding "nice apartments" (is that an oxymoron any way ?) in Asheville.

Questions:
Where are the nice apartments in Asheville? No section eight or welfare accepting places.

Is Asheville a place of sort of Republican hating hippies? I'm of neither big party affiliation but a city overly acquainted with one ideology over another really turns me off. And I especially despise Hippies and all the 60's free love mentality. Yet that is sort of the impression I'm getting from all the website I've visited regarding Asheville.

I have also done some crime comparison and despite what Asheville's main website says, my analysis of things says Asheville has a significant crime problem but I fully aware that statistics are sometimes not real life.

Any REAL live experience living in Asheville would be great. And please be civil.

Thanks

Gabby
Gabby, you would not like it here, and I am not just saying that. If you hate "hippies" (which actually don't exist anymore, but I know what you're talking about), then just go ahead and mark Asheville off the list. This is a place of tolerance, and we accept people for who they are, "hippy" or not. Coming here hating anyone is a bad idea, as hate is not welcome here. Also, I don't know what you consider "nice", but if you're from the flatlands and you're used to "nice" places there for cheap, you're most likely not going to find it here. Mountain living is more difficult and more expensive, and it is not for everyone. That said, come see what you think in person; there's only one way to really find out.

Asheville's crime is negligible as long as you keep your wits about you. Compared to any large city, it is next to nothing. This is coming from REAL LIVE experience living here. I live right next to the Klondyke projects, and it has never been a problem. No robberies, murders, etc. So I would not worry about that when making your decision.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:37 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,926,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Gabby, you would not like it here, and I am not just saying that. If you hate "hippies" (which actually don't exist anymore, but I know what you're talking about), then just go ahead and mark Asheville off the list.
Agreed. Florida sounds like the right place.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:52 PM

17,571 posts, read 39,237,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Agreed. Florida sounds like the right place.
Why, exactly?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Why, exactly?
Because that's where she's from I presume (floridagal). IOW, I'd just as soon have folks with attitudes like that stay where they are, since that's not what Asheville is about.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:45 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,537,637 times
I've said in in other threads but it bears repeating; I really can't stand all the go away don't come here, we don't want you outsider posters.

I think you are a small disgruntled minority who resents people who come in. But it will not stop people from coming so all you do is make your self look bad and cause a wedge. You might as well accept the inevitable.

I am really surprised by it, it seems beyond immature. I really think it is a sad comment on your upbringing, your culture, or someting. It kinda of tarnishes the beautiful ecology around you. Simply put, it doesn't become you or WNC.

And it certainly will not stop people who love WNC from coming.

But I do have one question for the OP, and that is if you don't like hippies and the people you have investigating, and you feel it is a high crime area then why do you want to move to Asheville?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I've said in in other threads but it bears repeating; I really can't stand all the go away don't come here, we don't want you outsider posters.
Can you point to where anyone said that in this thread? Who said anything about "outsiders"?? Helll, I am an outsider.

Nothing to do with "outsiders" . . . has to do with bad attitudes that people bring with them and ruin a place . . . Asheville's a friendly place, and we'd like to keep it that way.

Based on the OP's question, she's obviously got an attitude . . . one we could do without.

I could care less where anyone comes from . . . but I do care about preserving the culture of a place that is, generally speaking, a very friendly and tolerant place.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:43 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,856,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya
I really think it is a sad comment on your upbringing, your culture, or someting. It kinda of tarnishes the beautiful ecology around you. Simply put, it doesn't become you or WNC.
I'm not even sure what to say to that. That's one of the more judgmental things I've read on here in a long time man. I myself am an "outsider" as well, like Paddler said, but there is a certain feel to this town that is what makes it so precious, and I will fight pretty hard to prevent that from being lost. This is a town where all kinds of people, and I mean ALL KINDS of people, coexist quite peacefully, and that is pretty remarkable because there are some serious oddballs here that would not be tolerated in a lot of places. Asheville accepts people for who they are, and that is a good thing.

Which brings me to my little rebuttal piece. I am not the type of person who will just tell everyone who posts on here that they should not move here. The reason I said I don't think OP would like it here is because she said "I especially despise hippies and the 60s free love mentality". Sounds like somebody who should not move to a place that has been called things like "the freak capital of the US" and things like that. I don't really like the term "hippy" because it doesn't mean anything anymore, but I know what OP is talking about, and there is a lot of that here compared to most places.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:59 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,537,637 times
Several posters said, don't come to Asheville, "Cross Asheville off the list" Florida is the place for you etc etc. and something about her nickname says she's from Flroida.

But really if you read the last 10 posts in the city-data there are various posts regarding the theme, "don't come here." But maybe I jumped then gun on this thread and it was more about the attitude then the "outsider" issue so for that I appolgize.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,596,319 times
I think the OP is describing a place that is probably not as "free spirited" as Asheville, and this is why several posters said A'ville is not the place to find the type of environment the OP is requesting.

I don't think this has a thing to do with hostility towards "outsiders."

My advice to the OP is to spend some time ANYWHERE he/she may be considering for a permanent move. Travel brochures, websites and advice from folks living in a particular area cannot substitute for the "vibe" each person is gonna get when visiting an area.

The OP is asking for names of apartments that will have folks in it who he/she is gonna feel comfortable around. I certainly am not qualified to give that advice (I spend time in A'ville but don't live there) but others who have posted do live there . . . and their advice is that the OP is not gonna find the situation he/she desires.

I think that is very honest advice.

I would suggest that Waynesville might be a good place to consider, depending on price range, as Waynesville is a more conservative town and also has some condos that owners rent, where mostly retired people live.

So even tho I agree that A'ville may not be the place for the OP, perhaps an outlying area may be more appealing, and Waynesville is one of the areas I would suggest to at least check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina